Kindle or Tablet?

Discussion in 'Gadgets & Tech Talk' started by Michelle Stevens, May 7, 2015.

1. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

It looks like I'm going to hate this thing for the same reason that I hated my Chromebook and gave it away. When I log in, it's not enough to enter my password, but I have to log into my Google account. Then it insists that I verify my account through my email, so I can't log into my tablet unless I have another computer around to log into my email with, which goes a long way toward eliminating any purpose for the damned thing. Then it keeps nagging me about pairing it with my iPhone; I don't want to pair it with my iPhone, but "no" doesn't seem to be an acceptable answer. Once I open a browser, there is no way to get back to my Home Screen. I'm sure there is a way to do it, but I need help finding one. The screen goes blank if it is inactive for a second, although I changed that setting to 5 minutes in system settings, and when I bring the screen back up again, it's in a different place than it was when it blacked out.

It takes me about fifteen minutes to get into the thing, and I wouldn't even be able to do that without another computer that I can use for it's dumb-ass password verifications. Yeah, it's beginning to look like my sister-in-law will be gifted another device. I want something that I can turn on and use, as I can with any of my Macs or my Kindles.

I bought the Chromebook to use while traveling because my older MacBook wouldn't update to the new version. However, I found that I couldn't use the Chromebook unless I had another computer that I could use to verify my Google account. I had to buy a MacBook Pro in Virginia to work while at my timeshare.

I've already lost the mouse that came with it. I opened it up, saw that it needed a couple of AAA batteries. I put them on to charge and now the mouse is gone.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2024
    Yvonne Smith and Don Alaska like this.
  2. Ken Anderson

If I could log into the tablet without the Google password verification nonsense, and if I could find the damned mouse, I could see using this once in a while, now that I figured out how to close the browser window. But if I need to have one of my Macs with me in order to log into it, then I may as well use the Mac.

Otherwise, I could see using this at a restaurant or maybe even while traveling. If I don't get fed up with it and give it away, I might use it as a second reference while working on my directory job rather than dividing my screen into two windows. But I don't understand the password verification nonsense. Google does that to me whenever I try to use anything connected to Google, but I rarely do that so it hasn't been a major issue.

I also can't tolerate the screen going blank if I stop for a second to think about what I want to type. I could find the setting for that, but setting it to five minutes doesn't seem to keep it from going blank after a second or so, whatever the default was.

Otherwise, I don't mind the keyboard. It's smaller than a Mac keyboard but I can type well enough on it, and it doesn't even have a clunky feel to it. The screen size is okay for what I can imagine using it for, and I can probably even get by without the mouse since I use a track pad on my Macs anyhow. I am using the tablet right now. I'd rather have the mouse, though, because I don't like touchscreens.

Yvonne Smith and Don Alaska like this.
  3. Ken Anderson

If 5 minutes translates to a second or two, I set it to darken after 10 minutes. Plus, I found a setting that is supposed to keep it from darkening if I am looking at it, which, of course, will ensure that it is always looking at me, but it probably is anyhow.

I found my mouse! It was blending in with the black base of my Mini Mac monitor.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  4. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

I still think that you would like a regular iPad with the external keyboard. It would not have any of the hassle you are getting with this android one that wants everything to connect with google. The iPad is happy to connect with your MacBook, and once that is done, then you have everything on the ipad that you want from the MacBook.

The new iPad Air is actually a reasonable price , uses the Apple Pencil, and can use the external keyboard, either an apple keyboard, or just a regular external keyboard. Any Bluetooth keyboard will work fine with an iPad.

You can also find some inexpensive older iPads that work fine. Mine, that i use every day is from 2018, and everything still updates and it works just fine.
    I also have an 10.5” iPad Pro that I bought on Amazon for just over $150, and it also updates and works fine. I wanted another ipad for drawing and this one is lighter than my 13” iPad that I use for writing and such.
    To me, it makes no sense to spend money on something you hate, just because it is cheaper than something that does just what you want it to do.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2024
    Beth Gallagher likes this.
  5. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Prime Day is going on and there are lots of deals on tablets and other electronics.

Yvonne Smith likes this.