Kitchen Gadgets

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Beth Gallagher, Jun 16, 2020.

1. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I have tried for years to convince my wife to get a real food processor, but she just won't have it. We have a little one that attaches tot he blender base, but we do so much food prep and preservation that I believe she would love one if I could talk her into getting one.

2. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

This is the one that I have that does both, and it is easy to change from one to the other. Amazon has them on sale sometimes, and that is when I got mine. It is a full-size blender as well as a full size food processor, and also slices and shreds.

IMG_6087.jpeg

3. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

Buy one for yourself and let her borrow it. I had a Moulinex La Machine for nearly 40 years when I broke the cover assembly. It was a real workhorse. I wish I had thought to look for one on EBay before buying one of the modern processors.

4. Caitlin D Burnside

Caitlin D Burnside Well-Known Member
    Registered

One "Kitchen Gadget" which is getting popularity these days with heating/electricity price increases and better cooking utensils beside your good old cooker -- the Electric AirFryer.

We've a small one, only 2 litres, but it does the job. Laterly, I've noticed these SirFryer recipes popping up on my YouTube feed.

Thought you might like some recipe ideas... These videos are for over 70 bread recipes and more. Mangea!

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLSnP4pDlymf_aa4hfQpmc3rkumLAw0hqY&si=7YjYfNqqOttMgkRl

Don Alaska likes this.
  5. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Well, I can't let a week go by without adding some non-essential gadget to my kitchen. :D This morning I ordered this egg cooker from Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08H5RK6YD?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1

upload_2024-2-26_17-22-19.png

I was boiling eggs on the stove earlier and walked out into the backyard. Of course I forgot all about the eggs and they boiled dry. So hopefully this will keep me from burning the house down when trying to boil eggs. Plus it has that cute little insert to make "egg bites" so I'm curious about that. I used to make a little mini-quiche in a muffin pan so hopefully this will be something similar. (Low carb, baby!!)

6. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I bought a silicone egg cooker for the microwave. I use it every other day for breakfast.

7. Beth Gallagher

Registered

I got my egg cooker yesterday and took it on a test drive this morning. I made "egg bites" with 2 eggs, cream, cheese, crumbled bacon, and green onions.

upload_2024-2-28_12-42-21.jpeg

(With a little parsley from the Aerogarden!!) They taste similar to little quiches without the crust.

These could probably be done in a coffee mug in the microwave, but this was easy and cleanup was effortless. I'm about to test boiled eggs; if it doesn't work well for them then back it goes.

8. John Brunner

I'm curious about this.

I bought a bag of whole wheat flour to make some (dense) sandwich bread, with the intent to use it to have hard boiled egg sandwiches (with the occasional tuna thrown in) for lunch instead of the salt-laden lunch meats. I figure it will be about the healthiest sandwich I could make.

I've settled on the hard-boiled method where you put the eggs into the boiling water and let them simmer for 12-14 minutes, then dunk in ice water. I like soft-boiled eggs but don't take the trouble too often.

Don Alaska likes this.
  9. Krystal Shay

Krystal Shay Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I like hard boiled eggs. Have you ever tried steamed hard boiled eggs? I like steaming them. The egg shells come off super easy and I think the hard boiled eggs taste like velvet-- very smooth. :D

Last edited: Feb 28, 2024
  10. John Brunner

So you steam for 12 minutes the eggs then sit them in ice water for 15 minutes?

I've really been enjoying eggs since I moved to an area where I get fresh ones. They actually have flavor!

Don Alaska likes this.
  11. Krystal Shay

Krystal Shay Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I steam my eggs a little longer because I like them hard boiled; well done.:p Yes, farm fresh eggs are the best!!

Last edited: Feb 28, 2024
    John Brunner likes this.
  12. Caitlin D Burnside

Caitlin D Burnside Well-Known Member
    Registered

That looks yummy! Congratulations!

I'd bought hubby a three tiers steamer for one father's day. Besides him steaming every vegetables under the sun, I checked online to see if I could get hard-boiled eggs. Magic! 15 minutes for 4 medium eggs and they're perfect for egg salad sandwiches.

13. Beth Gallagher

Registered

OK, here are my first hard boiled eggs. (I tested two eggs.) They aren't quite done in the very middle, but no biggie. I like that there is no green ring around the yolk. Next time I'll add a tiny bit more water to the cooker or use smaller eggs (these are extra large.)

upload_2024-2-28_19-11-8.jpeg

This little machine works by steaming, too. You put the eggs onto a little tray thing above the water in the machine and it cooks until the water all boils away. Then the indicator light goes off and they are ready. The degree of doneness is determined by the amount of water added.

14. John Brunner

That strikes me as horribly inexact. I know to change the time for the size of the eggs, but how do you decide what "15 minutes of water" is?

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  15. Beth Gallagher

Registered

It comes with a measuring cup and there is a chart for how much water to put in for soft, medium, or hard boiled. I was just reading that I can leave them in there with the lid closed for another minute to finish cooking, which makes sense.

John Brunner likes this.