Law Firms And Insurance Companies

Discussion in 'Money & Finances' started by James Hintze, Feb 15, 2021.

1. James Hintze

James Hintze Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I couldn't find a place elsewhere, so here it is.

AMBULANCE CHASERS

I like to watch the 6PM local news, followed by the national, on one of the three national channels. I haven't counted, but each of the commercials is financed by one of many law firms. Many of the billboards, along with the city buses also advertise law firms. “Auto accident? XYZ law firm recovered (6-7 figured amount} for ...”

Wife and I travel considerably, and it seems to be the same elsewhere, both with TV commercials and billboards. Some of the same firms are national.

My question is; are the insurance companies so stingy that one needs legal help to collect? Or are they throwing 4 and 5 figured amounts at cases to avoid lengthy stuff?

Years ago wife and I had a T bone accident with some injury. The insurance company came through for the medical cost and car (3 months old) replacement. A year ago I had a parking lot fender bender. My insurance (Florida is a no-fault state) paid the repairs, and asked if I needed a rent car.

What's happening here? If the insurance companies are paying out 5 and 7 fugured amounts plus legal fees, something is wrong. Aren't we paying for it? Should or law firms and insurance companies be looked at nationally?,,,,,

2. James Hintze

Registered

I should have added that I look forward to reading replies, esp. from lawyers who certainly know more about this than I do.

3. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

It used to be against state Bar Association rules for lawyers to advertise their services, specifically to prevent the "If you have a lawyer you have a lottery ticket" appearance. Then a lawyer took the restriction to court as a First Amendment violation, and won. I recall when this ruling was handed down.

Of course the consumer always pays whatever costs any business incurs; otherwise, they would be out of business. We have lots of those ads here in the Charlottesville TV market. One of them is just as you say: "Last year our law firms received a record judgement for a client..." There are ads for all sorts of legal services: accidents, workman's comp claims, wrongful termination, etc.

I don't know how you can "look at" them, other than tort reform (this is said to be a big cost driver in health care.) But since so many Congress critters are lawyers, and they make their money off of such suits, tort reform ain't gonna happen. And the thought of a judge enforcing frivolous lawsuit statutes is pretty much laughable.

As an aside: I've been called to jury duty many times in my life. I was in the pool--but not selected--in one wrongful injury case (someone slipped on a wet hospital floor while visiting) where the defendant's lawyer wore an eye patch. When we got back to the jury room and I asked the folks "Do you know what happened to his eye? The ambulance came to a sudden stop!" (No offense meant to anyone who may wear an eye patch.)

4. James Hintze

Registered

Thanks John. So I'm not the only one puzzled/troubled about this.

John Brunner likes this.
  5. John Brunner

The legal system and lawsuits serve a "good" because--in conjunction with legislation--they rightly impose a cost for bad behaviour. The cost can not only be monetary...it can also be in the form of damage to the reputation. The problem arises when we feel there is less of a redress of grievances (and making someone "whole") and more of an extortion of funds.

The other problem lies in our systems that have become corrupted over time: specifically, legislative and judiciary. There will always be greedy humans in business and in life. To the extent they are not properly held to account, their numbers increase and drag others off the precipice of ethics and morals.

This was almost my launching point into the myriad parallel issues in the our culture, but I'll just put a period on it.

6. Peter Renfro

Peter Renfro Veteran Member
    Registered

The courts need to exact real penalties from attorneys filing silly suits.
    There is one suing Subway claiming that there is no tuna in their Tuna sndwiches.
    A case easily proved. Subway has their paid for examination done with a result of,"Flake Tuna, Mayonaise and a flavor preserver.
    Complaintant is apparently a trump supporter. Has raised allegations,has spread their story,but has submitted no analysis to the court. But "they are prepared to submit proof when the time is ripe"
    This attorney needs to be disbarred!

7. John Brunner

The judge should never have let this case go to trial.

8. John Brunner

And the lawsuit has been filed in that conservative bastion of San Francisco, California, aka "Trump Country."

And there's this:
    Just stop.

Al Amoling likes this.
  9. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

We were rear-ended on the freeway by someone who said he had passed out from the heat, apparently with his foot on the gas because we were traveling at the speed limit or a few miles above. He pushed the fork of the U-haul trailer we were pulling into the back of our car, totaling the car. He was insured by State Farm and we weren't even offered near enough to pay off the car that he had totaled, let alone the fact that we had to rent a truck, and later a car, while we found one that we could afford to buy. The agent wanted to tell us about how much they had paid U-haul. Well, I didn't care how much they paid U-haul.

10. Al Amoling

Al Amoling Veteran Member
    Registered

There's only one number you need to know in ME. Call-JOE