Living In Assisted Living

Discussion in 'Personal Diaries' started by Lon Tanner, Sep 5, 2017.

1. Jeff Elohim

Jeff Elohim Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

p.s. cool :)

One thing I just remembered, if it is of interest -

it turns out that the best simple no-stress exercise that can make a huge difference is the low to the ground 4 foot wide trampoline , and some are made with handles to hold onto while using them.

No, no flips involved, and not even jumping enough to leave the matt - just gentle up and down light bouncing for 4 to 24 minutes 3 times a week. Best thing to do , "with doctors permission"? if some health condition interferes,
    for the heart, circulation system (blood vessels). etc etc etc. Even better than walking , swimming or horse back riding,
    without extenuating circumstances.

It possibly won't be a "fast" help - more like see some results after three weeks, then greater results after 3 to 4 months.

The results can be measured, btw, as well as knowing when you just feel better.

John Brunner likes this.
  2. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

... and getting back to Lon's neighbor, it's nice that he is concerned about her. I'm still wondering why she still keeps her house, and why her pets aren't with her.

Cody Fousnaugh and John Brunner like this.
  3. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Thanks for that. It might be a good "break the routine" starting point. I used to play tons of racquetball, go on extensive bike rides, etc. I would ride 10 miles to play racquetball at 6am, go get breakfast, ride the rest of the way into work, then ride 12 miles home in the afternoon. Those were the days...

4. Jeff Elohim

Registered

Just 'curisou' oops, haha, when you were very active, did you ever have your chol count checked ? When or how did you discover (or were told) that it was high ?

(I never recommend it, but that's because if someone does what they are supposed to, none of those "numbers" actually is important)

5. Jeff Elohim

Registered

I knew someone who would not give up ice cream and chocolate cake,
    even when their doctor told them they should . (they ignored him)
    And they proceeded over the next 15 years to gain over a hundred pounds, and be put on several medicines as expected when eating so much and so much sugar.

As soon as someone starts a better diet, their health starts to improve instead of getting daily worse.

Maybe they won't listen, and then there's nothing you can do for them other than , like, be their 'friend' and be there when they want to talk. Hopefully they will get some incentive to change their diet on their own, for the better.

6. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I don't want to wander too far afield in this thread, but as I recall, I had slacked off all that high-cardio when my high cholesterol was discovered, but I likely had not been tested before.

7. Jeff Elohim

Registered

One lady went on several diets over 2 years time, and could not lose weight.
    Then, TADA! , she began losing weight.
    Secret?
    Stopped eating tiny sugar candies. Little bitty pieces like pea-size, just a few a day, prevented health and prevented weight-loss until she gave them up entirely.
    This is not an isolated incident - it happens every day.

p.s. try to find a trampoline with two metal springs per connection, instead of the ones that use rubber. Compare several brands and watch for sales .... I never found the spring cover necessary, but I guess if a spring ever sprung loose it might be dis-advantageous. Just no spring on the small nor on the large trampoline we have had ever sprung away, not even one, although several did pull lose over the years.

John Brunner likes this.
  8. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

Lon I am going to play like I did not see this... out of respect for you because your older than me .

Cody Fousnaugh and Yvonne Smith like this.
  9. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

Do what you like.

10. Jeff Elohim

Registered

Time for a second opinion - just noticing how you worded this "high cholesterol was discovered". That is so full of possible and maybe likely common mistakes in the way they "discover" things, mistakes being made not only every day, but then ongoing based on previous errors.

Not saying there's not something to deal with, at least potentially, just pointing out that what you were told may not even be close to the facts.

John Brunner likes this.
  11. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

So, what your thread here is about is "concern", not getting involved by talking to her? Your "concern" really sounds like you want to do something about your "concern".

12. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

We were concerned about a very close friend of my wife's who was her Maid of Honor at our wedding.

She was 72 and had had Lupus for some time. Refused to see a doctor, except in the ER, where she went a couple of times. Very bad arthritis hit her legs, to the point she could no longer walk. Kept telling her husband that someone was pointed a laser beam at her and she kept hearing voices in her head. IOW, she was a total mess, health wise. Got to the point that she didn't want to see her adult sons, their families/grandkids and they didn't want to see her. Her husband took care of her the best he could and she refused to go into a nursing home. When we lived in Florida, he didn't want us to drive down to their home anymore, because of her mental status.

There was absolutely nothing anyone could do for her, because she refused their help. Her last time in the hospital, in late 2019, she passed. Her husband and sons were glad that it finally happened, so she would be in no more pain or complain anymore.

There are those that have, what I call, "a death wish" and, most of the time, nobody can stop their feelings about that.

Hedi Mitchell likes this.
  13. Jeff Elohim

Registered

A family friend for years had a death wish herself, for a while. Terminal cancer was what the licensed ama doctors (in the big stlouis hospitals) said , giving her 3 to 5 months to live and nothing they could do.
    She was not even 22 years old yet.

14. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

No--I don't and will not do anything. My concern was merely a comment and nothing more.

Jeff Elohim likes this.
  15. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

You're absolutely right, Lon. You stated it (in red), that you are only concerned.