Love American Eggs

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Tom Galty, Jul 5, 2019.

1. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

'but black pudding doesn't appeal to me' (quote - Don Alaska)
    Its disgusting - Yuk !

Don Alaska likes this.
  2. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I generally do not have breakfast except for a protein shake.
    But, when I do, if there isn’t a nice t-bone or ribeye on the plate then pork chops will just have to do. Throw some lyonnaise potatoes in with the transaction and 4 or 5 over easy eggs and it’s a go. Oh, and coffee. Lots and lots of coffee.

Other than the black pudding, I can see some merit to the British breakfast. It’s easy and to the point.
    After working at Brennan’s in New Orleans for a spell, I vowed to never make another Eggs Hussard, Benedict, St. Denise or any other recipe that calls for a derned poached egg as the base and covered in some type of sauce. Too pretentious and most people didn’t know what they were going to get until they got it but pay richly for it they certainly did.
    Come to think of it, maybe that’s why a lot of guests pounded down a couple of glasses of champagne before they ordered. Get half blasted and a person really doesn’t care what’s on the place as long as it looks pretty and can fill that starving sensation one gets whilst attempting to cure the activities of the night before.

3. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

I don't eat breakfast either... but I would happily have a big fry up for lunch or any time of the day really....definitely including Black pudding, which top chefs love, and add to many very expensive quality dishes in the way of a crumbed texture topping !!

4. Tom Galty

Tom Galty Veteran Member
    Registered

Do wonder if you are eating it under another name.

20 Years ago I mention on an American site I was on about Black pudding.

Reply was how dicusting how can you eat that flith

Next reply from an American poster was the Dutch verision they sold in Lancaster(Cant remember the name they gave) of Black pudding.

Reply was ......O I love that.

5. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

My dad liked blood sausage. It was awful.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  6. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

See that's my point... here in the UK I love Black puddding.. however in every other country I've been in, although the ''blood pudding '' looks the same, it tastes really different, horrible in fact!! filled with stuff we don't add to it here!! In Spain it's filled with Rice and onions.. Spanish morcilla, and French boudin noir and German Blutwurst, all the same..

Then there's Polish blood sausage which has barley , buckwheat , onions, liver and sour dough in it.. pigs intestines, and shoulder... etc.. ( horrible tasting to me but delicious to lots of others)

Bess Barber and Tom Galty like this.
  7. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

That is actually the German stuff my relatives made. They call themselves "Dutch", but it is actually Deutsch, but they became "Dutch" during WWI.

Tom Galty likes this.
  8. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Supreme Member
    Registered

A perfect breakfast.
    Bacon, ham or sausage patties (I prefer hot), fried eggs (over medium) grits ( Potatoes are not for breakfast) Biscuits and gravy.

Once in a while you may have pancakes with any of the meat above and skip the rest

9. Bess Barber

Bess Barber Veteran Member
    Task Force Registered

Yep. I can always tell the good southerner by the food they eat. I think other people don't like grits because they don't know how to cook them right.

10. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Grits are okay.

Don Alaska likes this.