Low Carb: What Are We Eating?

Discussion in 'Diets & Dieting' started by Steve North, Mar 15, 2019.

1. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

If you watch the video I posted, get the necessary ingredients, and then mix it all up and store it in a Tupperware-type container, it is SO easy to make the bread whenever you want some !
    I have mine with a 1/4 cup scoop in the container, so when i want some of the bread, I just scoop out some flour mix, add a rounded tbsp of coconut oil (you can also use butter), and an egg and mix everything up. Meanwhile I have the pan heating up, and then you just cook it like you would cook a pancake.
    If your dough seems too thick, add a dab of water until it is manageable.
    If it doesn’t puff up enough, add a bit more baking powder to the mix. I did that with mine because it seemed like it needed more after I made the first frybread.
    Once you have made one, then you can experiment and turn it into a replacement for muffins, and things like that. If you do not want to cook it on the stove, you can mix it in a small bowl and then microwave it like the directions on the video.
    This gives you a taller and softer end product, and you can then cut this in half like you would do an English muffin and use it to make sandwiches.

It has lots of fiber (especially with the flax and psyllium ) so you will never have to worry about getting enough fiber, plus it is VERY filling.

Don Alaska and Bobby Cole like this.
  2. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

Attached Files:

Bobby Cole likes this.
  3. Yvonne Smith

If you are already cooking it, then you are pretty much stuck with that one, just pat it with the egg-turner and try to flatten it a little. Next time, add water, a little at a time just until you can mix it, but not as thin as a pancake batter, more like a cake mix thickness.

Hedi Mitchell and Bobby Cole like this.
  4. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

@Yvonne Smith ... .the bread is not bad. I will add more spices next time, will be goid for breakfast or a snack food
    - depending how you flzvor it. Thank you !

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  5. Steve North

Steve North Supreme Member
    Registered

Supper last night was skinless chicken breast bone in and baked in the oven in stock..
    steamed cauliflower smashed with sour cream and herbs..
    S/F chocolate pudding with real whipped cream..

6. Steve North

Registered

tonight (Friday) will be pasta night...
    My homemade pasta using minced chicken and other pasta sauce items..
    spaghetti squash will be the pasta..

7. Steve North

Registered

Tonight (Saturday) was B/S chicken breasts cooked in a honey/garlic sauce in the fry pan...
    Steamed broccoli with sesame seeds

Breakfast was the usual...... 3 eggs each

8. Steve North

Registered

Today I made a Jewish chicken soup..
    We had that for supper and we were full after just one large bowl of soup..

Lots and lots of soup left over to which I will freeze some to use as either stock or reheated chicken soup........
    Lots of chicken in the soup as well..... Lots of fresh dill as well..

9. Steve North

Registered

For supper today (Monday)....
    Some soup for sure but I would like to make something else with it...
    I'm thinking of some fish seeing I have some fresh dill left over from the soup...
    For veggies, how about some steamed carrots and parsnips with a dill sauce...

LETS MAKE IT A DILLY MEAL !!!!!!!!

10. Yvonne Smith

The faux apple fritter experiment is beginning, everybody !
    We had some zucchini that needed to be used up, so yesterday, I put them in the food processor and chopped them up.
    I used some in my almond bread, mixed with a bit of cheese and salami, and that turned out pretty good !
    Today, we went to Walmart, and i got the apple drink mix.
    I put some of the powder into the zucchini mix and added cinnamon and cloves, and will let it all sit and marinate overnight, or at least until later today, and then I am going to make the bread is and add the Apple/zukes to it and see how it turns out.
    Zucchini has very few carbs, so if this turns out, then apple fritters will be on my treat list !

Don Alaska likes this.
  11. Craig Wilson

Craig Wilson Veteran Member
    Registered

I appear to have misplaced my earlier post. I spoke of being diagnosed with borderline Type 2 Diabetes 18 mths back. I t hit me for six I can tell you as I had always had a positive outcome at all previous blood sugar tests. I immediately noted that my sweet tooth had finally played catch up. Now I could have gone easy on such things as fatty foods and sweet treats but I decided to go cold turkey instead. I tossed all white poison we had in the bin.. along with jams (jellies) biscuits,(cookies) and (lollies)candy. Sweet fruit drinks and sickly desserts were also binned. I started monitoring my carb and saturated fat intake as well as salt. Luckily we have a health rating on most of our foodstuff these days so it makes it far easier to monitor your intake. Such rarities as sweet potato, brown rice and wholemeal pasta became part of my new healthy diet. I even started drinking low carb beer. I was talking to a friend one day who old me she was using a Ketogenic diet. I looked it up and low and behold I had been using the same diet without even knowing it. Actually it is cross between Keto and the Mediterranean diet. I do waver on occasions with a Cherry Ripe, a Tim Tam or irresistible Darrel Lea soft eating licorice. But the sweet stuff is now very much the exception not the rule. Bottom line is I feel healthier and am confident I have beaten Diabetes.

Don Alaska likes this.
  12. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

@Yvonne Smith @Gloria Mitchell I almost always use coconut flour to bread things after dipping them into beaten egg. I think you could throw a piece of your flat bread into the food processor to make bread crumbs if you want a texture more like cracker crumbs or panko. You could mess with the egg mixture too, if you want, and add coconut or almond milk to that as well as salt, pepper, sage or whatever to make things interesting. I am not cooking as much now, as my wife is done working for the season, so my experiments are on hold.

Yvonne Smith and Hedi Mitchell like this.
  13. Steve North

Registered

I'm back from a mini holiday to Sudbury where we both had doctor's appointments back to back the following day..
    Well, we slept over at the Comfort Inn and naturally had their breakfast.. Unfortunately, I must confess, that, I totally pigged out on about 50,000 carbs or at least it felt like it..
    Belgium waffle with sweet syrup, home-fries, toasted bagel with peanut butter and jam, Danish pastries, and more carbs and junk food that I can imagine.. Now, that was only breakfast !!!
    Lunch was one of those fancy wraps with chicken and all kinds of stuff in it..
    Supper was a real hamburger with the bun and about 5 pounds (it looked like it) of stuff inside the burger..

I will be weighing myself this week-end and I will be going back on strict low carb to get rid of those unwanted pounds I must of found...
    Now that I look back, it wasn't worth it pigging out like that..

Beth Gallagher and Yvonne Smith like this.
  14. Steve North

Registered

Back to the living.... I must make something for supper tonight, Friday... I have NO idea as I must go food shopping, however I still have a ton of meat in the freezer..
    For now, I will say it will be HOK for supper... When I decide, I will post what is going on..

Breakfast will be the usual of 3 eggs each..

15. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

We have found that some of the hotel breakfasts also feature eggs, bacon, sausage and other things. Those waffles are always a treat, but they play with the blood sugar.

Yvonne Smith likes this.