Low Carb: What Are We Eating?

Discussion in 'Diets & Dieting' started by Steve North, Mar 15, 2019.

1. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Steak and grilled peppers, zucchini and mushrooms.

Hedi Mitchell likes this.
  2. Steve North

Steve North Supreme Member
    Registered

Don..........
    I'm coming over for some of your meal.....
    sounds OK to me....

Don Alaska likes this.
  3. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

@Steve North do you garden? We had difficulty growing spaghetti squash, and determined that many of the old varieties have deteriorated in the U.S. I found we could grow Small Wonder squash--it is a hybrid--and I purchased seed from Japan that was from the original selection. Both grow well here. The advantage of the Small Wonder is that it is perfect for 2 people and stores well into the following spring at low room temperature. We are now often overwhelmed with the squash, and end up giving many to my son's family, who have a child with type one diabetes. They, too, eat a lot of those squash.

4. Steve North

Registered

Don...
    Yes we garden but we don't grow spaghetti squash.. Our growing season is very short up here..
    We NEVER plant anything in the earth till the first week-end of June when the threat of frost is over.. By labour day which is the first week-end in September, almost everything above ground must come out of the garden.. Carrots, parsnips are OK for another few weeks..

5. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

Our season is about thee same, @Steve North. We grow just about everything that can be grown at this latitude. Someone at the VA asked me if I could grow corn. She was very surprised when I told her I could in most years. I know you aren't interested in corn, but you might be able to grow these small spaghetti squashes. It took us a couple years to get the hang of growing them, but no we get a lot of squash from just a couple plants.

6. Steve North

Registered

Don..
    I use one spaghetti squash per month, and not every month.. At about .69 cents a pound, I will buy one for way under $2.00......
    The same goes for turnip....
    As far as corn goes, we have one good feed of it in the fall when we go to a corn roast party.. We totally pig out on corn and that's it for the year, almost.. When we go out to eat and there is a bit of corn mixed up in the veggies, we don't bother eliminating it, just go on and don't worry.. Now, that doesn't happen often but it happens...

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  7. Steve North

Registered

tonight for supper I made a tuna casserole.... Actually it is a vegetable casserole with tuna in it...
    S/F chocolate pudding that I spiked with some cinnamon..

Breakfast was the usual... 3 egg omelette for my wife and 3 scrambled eggs for me..

8. Steve North

Registered

Today (Friday) is food shopping day.. We go to Espanola which is 35 kms away to do our groceries.. No choice in the matter..
    It is a time out for us as well..
    We will most likely grab a bite out for supper while there.. Not sure but it makes sense to do it.. By the time we get home, unload the bags of groceries, put away the food where they belong, it is way too late to eat.. it will be almost 8:00 and then I have to start making supper....... NO WAY !!!

Don Alaska likes this.
  9. Steve North

Registered

Today (Saturday) we had the leftovers from the other night... The Hamburger steak..
    IT WAS AWFUL !!!!!!!
    WE TOTALLY HATE ANYTHING REHEATED AND LEFTOVERS...!!!

Usually if I have anything leftover from cooking, I throw it out...
    Naturally, soups and some other foods are OK, but casseroles, and cooked meals, ..... NO WAY !!!

I had made a coleslaw to go with it which is all we ended up eating..
    I made a dessert with frozen blueberries and S/F vanilla pudding.. It was good...

Last edited: Mar 30, 2019
  10. Steve North

Registered

Sunday.....
    Breakfast will be my homemade pancakes made with wheat gluten... S/F syrup... Pot od Folgers...
    I often use almond flour but I happen to be out of it and I can't get any more till we go to Sudbury which will be in 2 weeks.....

Lunch.. No no...... No lunch as we get up late and by the time we finish breakfast, it is sometimes almost 1:30pm...

Supper............ HOK.....
    After last nights disaster supper, I better make something decent...

11. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

@Steve North ..wow if you two do not like leftovers, that has got to be expensive and wasteful. There are some things that do not taste as great the
    second time around, but I just cannot bring myself to trash it all the time. Not condemning you Steve, just was a bit surprised.

Don Alaska likes this.
  12. Steve North

Registered

leftovers are not popular in our household..
    I would rather make something different every day and made fresh at that.. I try extremely hard to cut the quantities in half when cooking in order that we finish everything.. Everytime we seem to be stuck with something leftover, it NEVER tastes good at all..
    Naturally coleslaw, soups, and certain other foods are OK for a reheat or a leftover..
    Casseroles and most of my dishes...... NO WAY ... !!!! ......... Into the garbage it goes....

13. Steve North

Registered

for tonight (Sunday) I took out of the freezer some B/S chicken thighs that I was going to cook in a sauce... ...... HOWEVER ....
    The thighs turned out to be B/S chicken breast and they were not what I thought... The packages looked alike in the freezer..
    OK... Now I have to think what to do with the breasts.. I have been making breasts quite a bit lately so I don't want to repeat another meal that I recently made.. I like to make something different..
    I pounded them thin, breaded them, and fried them in the skillet in a bit of EVOO.. A HOT skillet so they sear on both sides.. They cook fast..
    My breading was wheat gluten flour, spices and herbs.. Lots of spices..
    A fresh salad went very well with it.. I made my own dressing..
    Dessert was frozen black cherries with heavy cream.. Like cherry ice-cream..
    Pot of tea...

Hedi Mitchell likes this.
  14. Hedi Mitchell

Registered

I am thinking...could be wrong...the reason your leftovers are less appealing is because you cook them differently .Low carb and etc. .because in just plain ole everyday cooking I have never had leftover issues. BUT...that may change since I am cooking a tad different now. SoinI will ecperiment with various flours when cooking.

15. Hedi Mitchell

Registered

Breakfast
    2 Sarah Lee multugrain toasted breads
    A good smear of avacado on each
    1 strawberry low fat yogurt
    Coffee and cream
    2 10oz glasses of water
    :)