Low Carb: What Are We Eating?

Discussion in 'Diets & Dieting' started by Steve North, Mar 15, 2019.

1. Steve North

Steve North Supreme Member
    Registered

Supper tonight was my own concoction of something using minced chicken, stock, veggies, cheese, and herbs and spices..
    It came out OK but next time I will use a bit less stock.. Maybe something to thicken it up as well..

2. Steve North

Registered

This is a long week-end in Canada... Monday is a civic holiday and everything is closed.. I will be doing my food shopping tomorrow on Sunday.. I food shop every 2 weeks or so...
    For today, I have loads of chicken in the freezer to BBQ.. I will thaw some legs with the back attached, take off the skin, cut away as much fat as I can, and dry marinate them before the hot grill gets them..

A salad as we have tons of lettuce in the garden to use..
    All kinds of different lettuce to make a lovely salad..

I bought a honeydew that isn't fully ripe.. Sweet but hard.. I will dice it and put it in the blender with some frozen strawberries and cream and Splenda to make a smoothie..

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  3. Steve North

Registered

Those legs I was supposed to thaw turned out being drumsticks.. I couldn't find the legs in the freezer.. They are somewhere in the back and I just didn't feel like digging through everything looking for them, so drums won as they were in the front...
    We haven't done any food shopping in just over 2 weeks, so tomorrow is the day... My fridge looks like poor old Mother Hubbard almost bare……….. Big order tomorrow......Very big order tomorrow..

4. Steve North

Registered

Supper tonight was my homemade pizza...
    Wraps, pizza sauce, sliced mushrooms, diced red pepper, diced red onion, lots of mozzarella cheese...
    Baked in the oven at 425f till the top starts to slightly brown......

5. Steve North

Registered

Supper tonight will be a meatloaf but I will make it in a muffin tin instead of a loaf pan...…
    Steamed green beans from the garden served with butter and sour cream.. That is the European way..

6. Steve North

Registered

We went to Sudbury today and we went to Walmart where I bought a BBQ chicken and a bag of Caesar salad mix....
    That was our supper and we have enough for tomorrow night as well..
    A slice of seedless watermelon for dessert..

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  7. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

We went to Sam’s Club, and I bought one of their large bags of romaine lettuce. I love romaine, and our last trip to Aldi’s, all they had was leaf lettuce (and of course, regular iceberg lettuce); so I have been using that the last few days for my salads. I got some tomatoes and more cream cheese, and we also stopped at Bojangles for chicken.
    Bobby had the chicken and biscuits, and I had chicken and tomatoes.

I am using the low-carb whey protein in my cup of morning coffee, which adds a nice vanilla flavor and has nowhere near the carbs of milk in the coffee.
    Between the return to low-carb foods and being able to swim and work outside more, my energy is doing better than it was for a while.

8. Steve North

Registered

Yvonne...….. That's great news about your gain of energy..
    I hate to tell you but lately I feel as if.... MY GET UP AND GO, GOT UP AND WENT...
    It could be the ending of my shingles or maybe the hotter weather ….
    Whatever, I must get back to working outside again.. Lots of work waiting for me..

9. Yvonne Smith

I think that the hot weather does that, @Steve North . When it is cooler in the mornings, I try to do the yard work that I want to get done, then we go to the fitness center and I swim for an hour while Bobby works out.
    Once we come back home, it is the heat of the day, and I don’t go outside in that more than necessary.

I have been reading about thiamine, and how important it is for people with heart failure and a-fib; so I ordered a bottle from Amazon, and am going to start taking that.
    Thiamine is also supposed to help with shortness of breath, which I always have, as well as energy, so I am hoping that it will help me, too.

My dinner today was a large salad and a salmon patty, and a low-carb protein bar for dessert/snack.

10. Steve North

Registered

Yes Yvonne.. You are right about doing the work early in the morning..... however.... I don't usually get out of bed till late in the morning.. often about noon.. I don't get to bed till after 2:00am and sometimes later than that..
    The hot weather will end soon...
    I also find that during some hotter weather that my appetite has diminished quite a bit.. I really don't want to eat much.. I seem to want to drink lots of water.. As far as I know, water won't make you gain weight.. No carbs...

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  11. Steve North

Registered

Supper was a casserole with loads of veggies and a can of tuna..
    Seedless watermelon for dessert..

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  12. Steve North

Registered

Crazy day today... We got up late and had a big brunch..
    supper I made chicken drums on the BBQ.. I dry marinated them first for a few hours..
    Steamed parsnips and carrots, mashed with butter was the veggie..
    Stewed peaches with heavy cream for dessert..

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  13. Yvonne Smith

I made a large romaine and Caesar salad, with lots of veggies, and a low-carb protein bar. Quick and easy.

14. Steve North

Registered

Tomorrow Wednesday, we are off to Sudbury to pick up our new car..
    I bought a new Nissan Rogue SV with All Wheel Drive and fully, fully, fully loaded.. I got an excellent deal..
    I traded in my 2017 KIA Sportage with only 40,000 kms on it.. Still under warranty till 2022..
    We will be grabbing a bite out for supper, somewhere.. No idea what or where..

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  15. Yvonne Smith

Wow ! time goes by fast, @Steve North . I remember when you were looking for a new vehicle and bought the Sportage !

I had a little 2000 Sportage, one of the really short ones with the fake leather top and plastic windows. It was a zippy little car, and i wish that I had another one of those.
    It was fine for 1-2 people and some groceries in the back; but Bobby wanted something large enough to haul lumber in; so I had to trade it for a minivan.