Low Carb: What Are We Eating?

Discussion in 'Diets & Dieting' started by Steve North, Mar 15, 2019.

1. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

We will have roast tonight...must make up for that icky dinner ladt night :)

2. Steve North

Steve North Supreme Member
    Registered

I agree that after a bad attempt at a meal that something extra is the answer..
    I have those every once in a while as well..
    With your roast, try roasting carrots and parsnips.. They blend very well with the roast..

Hedi Mitchell likes this.
  3. Hedi Mitchell

Registered

I probably should put this under Pit and Peak..but..
    I wanted to make peanut butter and cream chesse cookies..low carb. After searching way too long..instead found a receipe for regular PBCC cookies..but I did sub a forth cup flour for the almond flour.
    All was well until I put mixer in the almost complete batter. Cookie dough went flying all over the counter - wall and anything in its path. I was laughing so hard unsure if I could continue.
    Anyway had I read further adding the egg probably would have cut out that mess.
    Was the stickyness that made it hard to deal with.
    The cookies are O K but not as peanut butter as hoped.

Attached Files:

Yvonne Smith and Shirley Martin like this.
  4. Hedi Mitchell

Registered

I did eat something today I thought was good..by Real Foods...califliour pizza.
    They make other things that I might try if I can find them . Have any of you tried this ?

5. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

No, Beth, I don't. I know that @Yvonne Smith and @Terry Page used to make it but I can buy it for $3.39 a quart. I could probably make it a little cheaper but it seems like a lot of work to me. I like the convenience of just putting it an the cart and paying for it.

It really is tasty. Y'all should try it.

Brunch was bacon, scrambled eggs, cream and cheese, along with a small tomato with carb free dressing.
    Snack was kefir and blueberries.
    Supper: cube steak, sour cream and chives potatoes, and peas.

6. Shirley Martin

Registered

I haven't . Did you get the recipe?

I did make the pizza meatloaf last week. My GS said it wasn't good...………….. it was damn good! It really was good. We have a rating for new recipes. If it's good, it's a keeper. If it's not good, it goes into the trash. He said I better keep this one. But if you are eating low fat, don't try it. :D

Don Alaska and Hedi Mitchell like this.
  7. Hedi Mitchell

Registered

Attached Files:

8. Hedi Mitchell

Registered

Shirley u can look here also

Attached Files:

9. Shirley Martin

Registered

Thanks, Gloria.

Hedi Mitchell likes this.
  10. Steve North

Registered

Hey you guys....
    Is your kefir like yogurt ???

My vegetable casserole was sooo good that we pigged out and ate the whole thing....... Oink ... Oink !!!
    I made a S/F chocolate pudding for dessert...I spiked it with some peanut butter.. I made it with 10% cream instead of milk...

Yvonne Smith and Hedi Mitchell like this.
  11. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Kefir is very similar to yogurt, @Steve North , but it is much simpler to culture than yogurt is. To make yogurt, it has to be kept at a specific temperature in order to culture properly, making it almost necessary to have a yogurt maker.
    Kefir, on the other hand is simply mixed and left out on the counter until it is as thick as a person wants it to be, and it is more of the consistency of a heavy cultured buttermilk than a thick pudding like yogurt is.

Kefir has a LOT more probiotics than yogurt does, also; so if you are having it for protecting your gut health, it does a much better job than yogurt.
    I kind of go in phases where I will make it for a while, and then I don’t crave it again for months; so I use the little Yogourmet starter packets to make my kefir.
    Traditionally, you need what is called “kefir grains”, which is little cottage cheese like clumps of kefir, and you put them in fresh milk and leave that on the countertop or in the cupboard to culture overnight; but then you have to keep the culture grains fed (similar to sourdough) so you have to be continually making kefir.

I buy the packets on Amazon, and each packet can be reused 4-5 times by simply saving some of the kefir and adding it to fresh milk. Eventually, unwanted bacteria gets into the kefir, and the flavor is off, so then I start with a new packet.
    Kefir can be drank straight like you would drink a glass of buttermilk, used in a smoothie , or made into ranch dressing. When it cultures, the sugar is eaten during culture, just like happens with yogurt.

12. Steve North

Registered

Tonight (Friday) for supper I took the easy way out.. it was about 5:00pm and I had nothing out for supper, so I decided to make a BBQ using my premade chicken burgers that are in the freezer.. I put them on the BBQ frozen....
    to go along with the burgers, I put each a banger (sausage) that is made from veal and has NO filler in them...
    I put together a bowl of coleslaw and also a sliced tomato..
    Frozen fruit with splenda and heavy cream making like an ice-cream...
    No tea tonight....

13. Steve North

Registered

Today (Saturday) we will be going to do our weekly food shopping in Espanola which is 35kms from us..
    We will definitely have a bite out for supper, as by the time I get home from shopping, it will be way after 6:00 and I have to put away the groceries in the fridge, freezer, and whatever and then start to cook ?????? NO WAY !!!
    Eat out and ENJOY !!!
    I will most likely order some sort of a fancy salad as I usually do....

14. Steve North

Registered

Sunday supper was B/S chicken thighs cooked in a honey/garlic sauce..
    Steamed broccoli
    S/F jello with real whipped cream..
    Pot of tea...

15. Steve North

Registered

Monday ............ Its raining, cold, damp, and just a totally miserable day.. Not pleasant at all.......
    That calls for some comfort food.....
    MEATLOAF.......
    A meatloaf using minced chicken will do the trick...... I HOPE !!! Its either minced chicken or minced turkey I use..
    Sometimes I will use some minced Moose ...
    Steamed cauliflower as the veggie..
    S/F pudding made with cream instead of milk and spiked with cinnamon and just a hint of nutmeg..
    Served with real whipped cream.. Rich dessert ??? for sure but totally delicious..
    Pot of tea after to wash down the supper..