Low Potassium And More Fatigue

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Joy Martin, Sep 27, 2019.

1. Joy Martin

Joy Martin Veteran Member
    Registered

Anyone live with Fatigue issues? At this later time in my life, it's hit me. I know about potassium and the importance of it for so many health issues including Fatigue. I had been slacking off on more potassium and KNOW that the foods I eat are no where near what the RDA of 4700mg daily is....

https://www.organicfacts.net/health-benefits/minerals/health-benefits-of-potassium.html

1 glass of Low Sodium V8 contains 800mg of potassium and I drink one of those maybe once a week....like the juice but can't fill up on that one.

I've been taking a 99mg tablet here and there and that's nothing when one looks at the RDA....I'm going to up this to 2-4 tabs a couple times daily with food and see how I feel and go from there.

And if one deals with heart palpitations look at your magnesium and potassium intake.

And know that many Blood Pressure meds pull potassium from our bodies.

Take what you care to here.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2019
  2. Joy Martin

Registered

3. Bess Barber

Bess Barber Veteran Member
    Task Force Registered

If I'm fatigued, I take a nap. Retirement at it's best! :D

However, when I see young people buying and depending on those totally unhealthy energy drinks, I often wonder if they have a lack of potassium or iron diet.

4. Joy Martin

Registered

I believe the population is lacking in adequate potassium and there are many symptoms for this low potassium. A nap is good and I take one in my retirement but it does NOT give me more potassium. And I don't eat lbs and lbs of potassium rich foods...WHen I look at the list of foods high in potassium I take a few of them.

The kids out there hyped out on the red bull stuff, that's another subject. And the cokes. And and and...

Frank Sanoica and Bess Barber like this.
  5. Emma Smith

Emma Smith Veteran Member
    Registered

I've only drunk a few Red Bulls, each time while driving.

They were delicious. Wasn't expecting that.

6. Joy Martin

Registered

Never been tempted to Red Bulls but there is one Energy Drink called
    Zero Revive Vitamin Water and the 20 oz bottle contains 880mg of Potassium. I had been drinking this Vitamin Water for some yrs but have forgotten about it. Still have 2 bottles in refrig and will get back to them.
    https://www.coca-colaproductfacts.com/en/products/glaceau-vitaminwater-zero/revive/20-oz/
    It's not the greatest but better than Red Bull in my life.

I think I feel a sense of energy taking 2 99mg potassium glucoate with my meals in the last 2 days.

7. Bess Barber

Bess Barber Veteran Member
    Task Force Registered

The first energy drinks were awful tasting, but they got better in time. The Monster Coffee series tastes excellent.....ALL of them. I quit drinking them about 7 years ago because they made my heart race. It is one thing for adults, but kids being able to buy them seems wrong. Can you imagine what their school teachers go through with a class of super hyper kids? Plus, it's probably not good for their long term health.

Emma Smith and Yvonne Smith like this.
  8. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

Old Frank, back up on the podium:

Salt the foods you eat that ought to be a bit salty, do not try to rely on Potassium rich foods alone to reach the daily recommended amount. Especially, if large amounts of calorie-intense foods are involved. An obese Potassium-rich person is likely not better off. Low-calorie Potassium-rich?

"Spinach. Without a doubt, spinach is one of the most nutrient-dense vegetables around. One cup (156 grams) of frozen spinach contains 540 mg of potassium, or roughly 12% of the AI. That's about 6 ounces of the greens. Under 50 calories!"

But for me, Potassium Chloride, not as supplements, (taste too salty), but rather sold as "No-Salt". I put it on many foods, easily get adequate amount of Potassium, when coupled with my other foods eaten.

Some medicos recommend against No-Salt. Consider this: Do you accept ALL the demands of your doctor religiously?
    Frank

9. Joy Martin

Registered

Just trying to count my mg of potassium in today's foods and 1/2 avocado is 350mg and the other foods I ate I can't count on much potassium from them, and I just took 2 99mg potassium tabs so if I got 1500mg today I'm lucky...no where near the 5100mg RDA for women.

Just digesting some high potassium food guides and I don't eat a lot of them regularly that is for sure. So for me, I'm going to be working with powder pure potassium to get close to the RDA for women and see too if this will loosen tight and stiff muscle and joints.

I rarely eat spinach, I like but if someone prepared some nice bowls of cooked spinach for me with butter I'd eat it often. It's a food high in oxalates, so I do not eat spinach salads.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2019
    Frank Sanoica likes this.
  10. Frank Sanoica

Registered

@Joy Martin
    Please be aware that one cannot ingest "powder pure" potassium, first because it is a METAL, and second because it reacts violently when it contacts water, releasing hydrogen gas which quickly explodes. The potassium must be combined with another element or elements, such as chloride, which is analagous to table salt, but tastes slightly saltier. Even then, only 52% of the weight is potassium, the other 48% is chlorine, a poisonous gas!

Other good compounds containing potassium combined with other compounds are available supplementally. I believe potassium gluconate was mentioned. Not a good one, IMO, for two reasons: only about 18% of it's content is potassium, and it is far less safe than potassium chloride, for example.

See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potassium_gluconate#Dietary_uses

Here are other commonly sold potassium containing supplements:

"There are many forms of potassium available in supplements: potassium gluconate, aspartate, chelate, chloride, phosphate, bicarbonate, citrate, and orotate. Potassium chloride is the most common type used to treat deficiency." You can search each compound adding "potassium content".

However, FDA allows only 99mg of potassium per tablet, regardless of type of compound. This is aimed at preventing folks from taking in too much potassium, which can be dangerous: that condition is called "hyperkalema": hyper- excess, kalemia- potassium (from the Latin Kalium, I believe).

Ain't Chemistry almost voodoo-like?
    Frank

Yvonne Smith and Nancy Hart like this.
  11. Joy Martin

Registered

12. Frank Sanoica

Registered

@Joy Martin
    A good choice as far as I'm concerned. Keep in mind that many of the supplement materials are compounds of potassium and and acid: Citric Acid in the case of the Citrate, Gluconic Acid with the Gluconate. Not sure about the potential for problems due to acid compounds, but probably not much. Others, like the chloride, come from the single element, Chlorine. Certain others of non-acid origin would be definite no-nos! Potassium Hydroxide, for example, is the exact analagous material to Sodium Hydroxide, which is good, old, hair-dissolving LYE, sink drain unclogger!
    Frank

Joy Martin likes this.
  13. Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner Veteran Member
    Registered

My wife sets out a Banana every Tuesday and Thursday morning...the days when I have Breakfast Cereal with a Sliced Banana.

Bananas are a natural source of Potassium.

Harry

Emma Smith likes this.
  14. Joy Martin

Registered

Bananas are overrated for us to get OPTIMAL potassium..A med banana has like 400mg and adult RDA for potassium is 4700-5100mg daily. I don't count on them that's for sure.

15. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

About 30 years ago, when I was living in Idaho, I came across a mineral supplement called Matol Km, which was a mixture of several plants, and had a good way of delivering potassium, magnesium, iodine, and several other minerals. It was expensive (for me); but I bought some, and I did feel better, so I kept taking it.
    It was being sold through a local distributor, and when I moved back to western Washington again, I had no way to get it anymore, and eventually forgot all about it.

The other day, I ran across it on Amazon, so I ordered a bottle. It is still the same formula, and you take a spoonful morning and night. It does taste bad, but not as bad as I remembered it tasting before.
    Here is some of the information from the amazon page :

• A FULL-FLEDGED POTASSIUM SUPPLEMENT: Univera km is one of the oldest, original potassium supplements. Made from a combination of minerals and extracts of many traditional botanical plants, fruits, flowers, foliage, roots, and barks through a proprietary process; the Original Karl Jurak formula helps support the body's pH balance, oxygenation in the blood, natural toxin fighting abilities and balances the body's acidity level.*
    • REGULATE YOUR PH BALANCE: The unique combination of minerals and botanical plant extracts helps the body fill its potassium requirements and oxygenate your blood, eliminates toxins, and balance acidity levels.* Reduce the imbalances caused by the natural process of aging and even stress with Univera KM.*
    • DIGESTIVE SYSTEM SUPPORT: Essential bitter herbs and minerals are critical for our digestive health.* Univera km introduces these natural phytonutrients and minerals to our daily diet. By fulfilling the body's daily potassium requirements, Univera KM supports your bioavailability, the body's natural function and ability to absorb nutrients from digested food.