Mandatory Self Protection

Discussion in 'Politics & Government' started by Ken Anderson, May 31, 2018.

1. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

[​IMG]

Does this look like people wearing life vests? We see this a lot on our river.

2. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

Thankfully Ive never had to evacuate for any reason anywhere I lived...lucky I guess but even though I don't like being told what to do...I'd be the first one outta there.

When I sit at an exit row and the stewardess asks if I'm willing to open the emergency exit I say yes but am thinking..."look at me, do I look like I can even open the door"?

I always make sure that the person in the next seat is strong looking. :)

I also hope I would be waiting until everyone was off but in reality, I might just be out the door first...I would hope not but...

A little off topic of mandatory self preservation but still self preservation, lol.

3. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

This is an excellent point, and it seems to happen when the hurricanes come ashore. When the hurricane came ashore in Texas, people knew for days ahead of time where it was probably going to come ashore, and they still thought they would be fine to stay in their homes.
    Ina believed that she needed to sty and protect her house, and she thought she would be safe because her house was set far enough off of the ground, and no hurricane had ever made it into her house.
    It turned out that the water was all around her house, although not inside; but the people who stayed were then calling for help to be rescued, when they could have left in time to be safe.

It really appears that this same thing is happening with the volcano in Hawaii, and many of the pictures are taken very close to the lava flow. People have got to be able to see that the lava is not going to be stopped, and that they need to take whatever they can save and go somewhere safe.
    From what I have seen on the aerial photos, it is only a small part of the island that is having the lava over it, so there should be places for people to go.

I agree that it should be legal for people to decide whether they want to evacuate a disaster or not, but I do not think that it is right to refuse to protect yourself when warned of the danger, and then put other people’s lives at risk because you didn’t leave.

4. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

before I met my husband he had 3 speed boats over the years...he said he never wore a life jacket. However they were smaller speedboats than the one in your picture Cody... anything that is capable of going as fast as a car , and particularly with no roof either... should have mandatory rules for wearing life jackets....These people are the ones who are putting rescuers lives at risk...

Chrissy Cross and Bobby Cole like this.
  5. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

When we have tornado warnings, no one really knows if there will actually BE a tornado until it has been spotted on the ground, and by then, all you can do is seek shelter because it is only minutes away.
    Whenever a bad storm is coming this way, especially one that has caused tornadoes on its way here, we always get the warnings that there is danger of a tornado forming; but many times, we barely get any rain and thunder , let alone a tornado anywhere close, so it is not practical for people to try and stop whatever they are doing each time there is possible tornado weather in the area.

Sometimes, in the winter, when they know we will have a snowstorm, then everything is closed down, and when that happens, people can be arrested for being out driving on the roads during the ice storms.
    However, in this case, they usually announce that the roads are closed to traffic, which would make it an offense to be driving on the road, and not just a safety issue.

Bobby Cole and Chrissy Cross like this.
  6. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I am not sure, but perhaps it would be a good time to paraphrase an old adage from an unknown ( to me) very wise seer: When one is up to his buttocks in carnivorous reptiles, it is past the time to think of ways in which to drain the swamp!

7. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Sorry, no Holly. The picture is not a big speed boat, it's a smaller bowrider. All of the boats at our Dry Storage can definitely go faster than a car. Wonder why nobody believes that none, and I repeat, "NONE", of the boaters where we keep our boat wear life vests on the water. Our boat is a 20 footer and our last boat was 16'. I've seen full-size cabin cruisers on our river going faster than a car and none of the people onboard was wearing a vest.

Try wearing a vest and having fun. What if the boat is anchored, still wear a vest? Most likely, the people in this picture know how to swim.

We took a couple, previous boat owners, on our bowrider on a lake in Colorado. They didn't ask for life vests and none of us wore them. They were on our boat, as required by law, but that was it. It needed, they were there to grab.

8. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Hugh? Pertaining to who?

9. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Funny, but when both Mathews and Irma hit, tv local news broadcasts showed people driving thru high water in St Augustine. I mean, really high water. Some people are plainly "thrill seekers" and, like many people, won't listen about the danger.

10. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

It's a larger speedboat than any my husband had and the fact it can hold more than 2 people comfortably makes it too large for anyone to be travelling faster than a car without life aids. Doesn't matter how good a swimmer is..if you get tipped out of a boat and get caught up in the rudder , or bang your head as you go over, without a life jacket you're toast!!

Our Boat is a 70 footer, and limited to less than 7 knots, and it's a houseboat so unless my husband is climbing up ladders to open a Lock or sluice gate or doing some work over the side he won't wear a life jacket , but we'd never allow children on the boat without one unless they stayed inside the cabin

Bobby Cole and Yvonne Smith like this.
  11. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

People who actually fit in don’t have to worry so much about fitting in, I think. Peer pressure has less of a hold on me now than it may have had in high school, and I don’t think I was overly concerned with it then.

This thread isn’t about cowboys, anyhow. It’s about whether people have a right to take personal risks, and I think it’s still an ongoing discussion.

Whether people should have to wear flotation devices while boating is on-topic, however - and I suppose we could discuss whether rodeo cowboys should be required to wear helmets. Those hats can’t provide much protection against falls.

For what it’s worth, I don’t think adult boaters should be required to wear flotation devices.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2018
  12. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

Anyone who has a tendency of not doing some serious thinking of possible future events and all of the possibilities that can be foreseen and perhaps, if needed, be prevented.

13. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

I noticed on a televised rodeo a few weeks ago that many of the bronc and bull riders do wear helmets or some kind of head safety gear.

14. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

For those that don't see my last posting in The Good Morning thread, sorry, but I'm leaving the forum. Actually, I knew a lady that was on the other forum, left there and came to this one, but now she is gone as well.

Sorry, just too much arguing on here and much of it towards me and my knowledge of a few things. Some folks on here simply refuse to understand my feelings about certain things. Someone please be sure to tell Chrissy that I'm gone, like she really cares anyway.

It's been nice. Maybe I'll finally get some more things done around here and my wife won't hear me talking about the difficulties I've had on here. She will be very glad of that.

Anyway, BYE!!

15. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

Bobby Cole and Yvonne Smith like this.