Mattresses

Discussion in 'Shopping & Sales' started by Von Jones, Nov 21, 2019.

1. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

It's a good thing that I know what I don't want and that is a 'firm' mattress. While browsing websites these are mostly what I came across. Not only that but most were some hybrid of a foam/gel material. There were mattresses in a box, combination mattress/box spring, pillow top and what is a 'tight' top? I'm so confused as to which to buy. I might just have to go to a brick and mortar for a 'lay' down experience.

2. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

I totally agree with that, Von. You have to lie down on a mattress to know what it feels like. It might feel kind of odd lying down on a mattress in a store but I would never buy one without doing it. I would not buy a pillow top mattress, any way. My son and DIL bought one and in a short while the padding had sunk in in spots. It was not a cheap mattress. It was a name brand.

3. Bess Barber

Bess Barber Veteran Member
    Task Force Registered

Another thing to consider is the thickness of the top mattress. My dad bought one that makes his bed look like the Princess and the Pea. He almost needs a step stool to get on the thing.....and additionally, it is so thick, it requires a larger cut bottom fitted sheet which will turn into needing a whole new sheet set so it all matches up. Even the bedspread could end up being too short to have the look you want.

I wouldn't consider buying a mattress without laying on it. Those few seconds of awkwardness in the store is better than the sting of a financial mistake.

4. Micki Pembroke

Micki Pembroke Veteran Member
    Registered

It should be an in store to test mattresses, in think must be one of the hardest things to by, needs to fit you and be comfortable.

5. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

That's one thing that changes as we grow older, I guess. I used to be able to sleep just fine on a small pad on the floor, or on an $80 mattress.

Micki Pembroke likes this.
  6. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

We have one of the Sleep Number beds that we have had for quite a ew years, ad we really like it. Since both sides are adjustable , we can each have the amount of firmness that we want, and it is easy to change it if we decide that we want it a little firmer or softer.
    Ours uses regular queen size sheets, but I always buy the king size for comforters and blankets so that they will hang down further on the side of the bed.
    Ina used to have one of the adjustable Sleep Number beds that raised and lowered like a hospital bed does, and she really loved that, but I remember that it cost her a whole lot of money, too.

Micki Pembroke and Sheldon Scott like this.
  7. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

How's all of your bed needs holding up?
    We bought a Ghost Mattress two years ago. Daughter lived her's so we bought one
    Too firm to me, otherwise a good bed.
    A topper softens it and that helps me.
    In the meantime daughtet buys..a Purple bed..so much better she said:rolleyes:

8. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

When we bought our last mattress set, we bought a set (King) that was way to firm. Ended up buying two Toppers to lay on top of the mattresses. The Toppers do help, but if we would've bought a softer mattress set, definitely wouldn't have needed to buy the Toppers.

9. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

Don't you just hate it when a purchase has become an afterthought. The money we could have saved.