Meeting Physical Challenges As We Age

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Lon Tanner, Apr 5, 2019.

1. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

20 years ago Scuba Diving to 100 ft. was a challenge I accepted and met. White Water Rafting on a Force 5 river was another. Walking and carrying a bag three times a week in 90 degree heat on a long 18 holes of golf. Playing that third game of Racquetball when I should have quit at two.
    Today it's a physical challenge for me to take my walker to Target and shop for one hour, and moving from one end of my apartment to another with my walker or going to a doctor appointment using Uber to get there and my walker once there.
    Lots of things change as we age and physical activity is just one of them.

2. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Lon Tanner
    And, how well I fully understand you here! Though I am younger by a number of years, I feel the feared changes beginning and progressing; severe pain in one knee. Wondering if it might improve with walking, or worsen from it. So, I push ahead, not knowing the answer. Yesterday, we walked 3 miles along the river, no pain killer, enduring pain which, amazingly, subsided several times.

Frank

Holly Saunders and Don Alaska like this.
  3. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Yeah, I think a lot of us are feeling it. Finding just the right position so that I can get to sleep. Wondering how long it will be before I actually can't get back up after kneeling on the floor to pick something up. Knowing that I really can't lift myself up to an unlocked window after forgetting my keys. Some of that may have to do with weight, but that was another thing that was easier to lose, and harder to gain, at one time.

4. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

One thing that has really helped my bad knee (too many car accidents, and the broken leg after-effects) is working out in water, @Frank Sanoica . When I am in water, it takes the stress off of my legs, and I can walk in the water, or even do knee-bending exercises and it helps strengthen my knee without hurting it like regular walking does.
    A pool will work, since you are not swimming, just wading around, or lying back and bending your knees. There are some good videos on youtube that will explain how to do exercises that will help your knees and legs. A Pool Noodle is helpful, as well.

Here is one aquatic exercise video that has really helped me.
    Warning : the quality of this video is terrible, picture-wise ! However, the actual instruction parts are easy to see and follow, it is just when the instructor is talking that everything is distorted.

5. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

Most of the time,I move around real well. When I do something out of the norm - move furniture, clean bath tubs, up and down the ladder, this is needed Aleve day! However, when sitting too long, I am stiff when first get up. One chemical in sweeteners stoves me up bad ,bad, and that is Aspartame .
    I know this for a fact after much research and process of elimination. Also, certain drugs do the same thing to me. Avoidance is the answer.

6. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

I agree with you @Gloria Mitchell , that avoidance of food that affects our mobility and causes joint issues is very important. Not only some of the artificial sweeteners , but sugar itself can create a world of problems sometimes, because sugar and white flour are some of the most inflammatory foods that we can eat..For me, keeping inflammatory foods to a minimum, and eating more of the anti-inflammatory ones , such as cherries and pineapples, helps a lot; but some days are still better than others, and cold, wet weather makes things worse, as well.

I think that it is a fine balance with exercise also. We need to exercise to keep our joints and muscles working right, but overdoing it is not a good thing at all .

Don Alaska likes this.
  7. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

I read that cold weather isn't the best for arthritis pain, but, in the same article, low elevations aren't good for arthritis pain either. Well, here in Jacksonville, we are only 16 feet above sea level. Where we are moving to, the elevation is almost 5,000 feet above sea level. In Colorado, we will have part of our arthritis pain managed...…..hopefully. However, we will still have, and use, our arthritis treatment cream, CBD Salve, Turmeric vitamin supplement and ibuprofen.

8. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Well, I can't rope anymore, but can still form/swing a loop, bridle, saddle a horse and ride one.

Neither of us can walk around a Convention Center, but do have a wheelchair now. Sure made going to a Star Wars Celebration in Orlando, much, much easier.

Another year or two of boating and that will end for us.

However, we will keep on using our Wii Game for exercise.

9. Frank Sanoica

Registered

@Gloria Mitchell
    The human body takes the Aspartame after it's ingested, and converts it to succeedingly easier to eliminate chemicals. One of those is Methanol, Wood Alcohol, the much-feared ingredient found often in Prohibition boot-leg hootch. People went blind from it. Perhaps that tiny bit of Methanol produced is what troubles you so.

The fact that Aspartame is now found in so many different foodstuffs has a long and very dubious history involving dirty politics for personal financial gain. I'll tell about it if you ask. Might need it's own thread, outside the bounds of this one.
    Frank

10. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Aspartame has been recognized as a neurotoxin since it was first introduced. It was probably the first of the drugs introduced to the market through the now common "bribery" of the FDA known as expedited approval. I was going to be marketed in baby formula to prevent "bottle mouth", but even the FDA wouldn't approve that. It has been shown to be especially toxic to young children. IMHO it should never be used by children of any age.

Bobby Cole and Frank Sanoica like this.
  11. Mary Robi

Mary Robi Veteran Member
    Registered

I've been moving house for eight days now. I have pain in places I didn't even know existed. I don't think I've ever moaned and groaned so much in my life. I'll get over it......probably by the next time I move.....to the crematorium...….

Bobby Cole likes this.
  12. Frank Sanoica

Registered

@Don Alaska
    FDA DID approve it, after Secretary of Defense (?) Donald Rumsfeld managed to get the FDA Director fired, who had refused steadfastly to approve Aspartame for "general use". Rumsfeld got a stooge installed as Director, who immediately approved for general use.

Rumsfeld was a Board Member of the original licensed maker of the stuff, likely owned zillions of shares of their stock. He should have gone to jail for that. Washington at work!
    Frank

Bobby Cole and Don Alaska like this.
  13. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

It's another conspiracy!!! [​IMG]

Aspartame is dangerous for those suffering from Phenylketonuria, also called PKU. PKU is a rare inherited disorder that causes an amino acid called phenylalanine to build up in the body.

14. Frank Sanoica

Registered

@Nancy Hart
    What you mention is certainly important. The key there is "rare", a fact FDA chose to ignore except to warn "Phenylketonurics" on labels of all product containing Aspartame. But you won't find a single label stating that the product produces Methanol in our bodies, a substance insidious in it's ability to harm us.

The jury deliberated, and decided few Americans will die as a result of ingesting Aspartame. They further decided those few were already on their way out. One can only wonder whether Donald Rumsfeld consumed Aspartame or not. The historical events are hair-raising:

"Brain tumors: Bad. Aspartame banned by the FDA.
    In January of 1981 Donald Rumsfeld, CEO of Searle, stated in a sales meeting that he was going to “call in his markers” and make a push to get aspartame approved. That month Ronald Reagan was sworn in as President of the United States. His transition team included Rumsfeld who handpicked Dr. Arthur Hull Hayes Jr. to be the new FDA Commissioner."

"The icing on the cake: In 1985 Searle was absorbed by Monsanto. Donald Rumsfeld reportedly received a $12 million bonus. And the sad tale of fake food and experimentation on the human race continued onward."

See: https://dailyhealthpost.com/the-shocking-story-of-how-aspartame-became-legal/

Read More http://dailyhealthpost.com/the-shocking-story-of-how-aspartame-became-legal/

Read More http://dailyhealthpost.com/the-shocking-story-of-how-aspartame-became-legal/

Bobby Cole likes this.
  15. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

Oh, I thought you meant *this* Donald Rumsfeld. :D

Bobby Cole likes this.