Melania Trump's Copycat Speech

Discussion in 'Politics & Government' started by Arlene Richards, Jul 19, 2016.

1. Ike Willis

Ike Willis Supreme Member
    Registered

th (2).jpe

Denise Evans likes this.
  2. Denise Evans

Denise Evans Supreme Member
    Registered

True, that was my thought as well Chrissy, because I could tell she was reading. Poor gal, I would have pee'd my pants if I had to do something like that. That's ok, just tells me I am voting for humans like the rest of us. She's doing her best if you ask me. I can't imagine the strain that's on her. She isn't a lying politician either.

I was thinking how grueling a campaign must be:(

3. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

Everything I've read about her is that she's really a nice person. This coming from people who have interviewed her.

Yvonne Smith and Denise Evans like this.
  4. Denise Evans

Registered

Chrissy contributed this page/site Ike, I don't want to take credit. Thanks again Chrissy!! WTG;)

Ike Willis and Chrissy Cross like this.
  5. Denise Evans

Registered

I saw her interviewed once, and she was talking from her heart much of the conversation. She was asked if she agreed with Donald on something or other, and she was very supportive but she admitted they don't agree on everything. That endeared me to her right there. If people realized she is just a woman that's attracted the most successful business-man in the world (one of at least) and she has huge shoes to fill. I don't think being gorgeous, and successful in school, architecture, whatever it was she studied, is a blessing sometimes:( I still say she is honest, and she does have to depend on what she is told, or suggested to do.

I always thought ole michelle was too yappy, to cock-sure of herself. I am just not drawn to people like that. But back to the topic, I am thinking a lot about what Ike said earlier. About "who got hold" of writing Melania's script. I don't mean to cry conspiracy, but I wonder if they will look further into that. Someone should have been EXTRA careful, and I can't imagine them not being. Someone that was trusted?? Maybe shouldn't be?? And for it to be from an obama speech, omg, you can't tell me the Trump's planned that??

Anyone?? Comments??

6. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I just say it wasn't the whole speech, just that one instance that everyone is excited about. It happened, move on.

I'm sure it won't happen again.

I heard that she gave her speech writer what she wanted said and they wrote it. Although she's an intelligent woman
    Writing a speech in English won't be one of her strong points since it's not her native language. It's not a crime and
    And has nothing to do with her intelligence at all.

Although she's used to being in front of cameras and people, she's not used to giving speeches, she'll get better
    As time goes on.
    She's charming, knows about 5 languages and I see that only as an asset when they are entertaining heads of other countries.

Yvonne Smith and Denise Evans like this.
  7. Denise Evans

Registered

Wow, well said Chrissy!! I can't agree more on her being an asset to America, as well as her position. I think you are right too, about moving on. I have to try not to lower myself to the "other" sides tactics. I'm well capable of it:( but I don't like myself when I look in the mirror and I'm being just like they are.

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  8. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Well she does have the advantage of being more "continental" and knowing more about other cultures, since she was born in Europe and probably traveled a lot as a model.

I'm sure she won't make the mistakes like Michele Obama did when she met the Queen. Don't remember the details but it was all over the news. Nobody is supposed to touch the Queen and She did.

9. Arlene Richards

Arlene Richards Veteran Member
    Registered

@Denise Happyfeet
    Yes, Melania is attractive, and yes, she seems like a nice person. But that's not the issue.

Nor is the issue that most people say things that other people have said.

Substantial portions of Melanie's speech were copied from Michelle's. Verbatim. Staff/speechwriters SHOULD have gone over her speech and checked it carefully. They clearly did not do that.

If Hillary copied George Bush's or John McCain's speech verbatim AND GOT CAUGHT or if Michelle had copied Cindy McCain or Laura Bush would people be so dismissive and say it's "nitpicking"? We all know the answer to that. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Jul 19, 2016
  10. Denise Evans

Registered

Well I'm not going to throw any rocks on this, others can do what they want. There's just no comparison at all between the "wrongs" Hillary, as well as the Obamas have committed. If anyone expects a perfect government, good luck with that. What we have to do is choose the one we feel is best for America. To me, again, no contest.

11. Arlene Richards

Arlene Richards Veteran Member
    Registered

Denise, saying you're not going to throw any rocks AFTER calling it smut, and trashing Hillary and the Obamas.... HAHAHA! Cute. :D

12. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

Maybe the same person was paid to write both speeches?

Yvonne Smith and Chrissy Cross like this.
  13. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Ha ha, that's always a possibllity. Anyway the fault is with staff not Melania. She's not a politician or speech writer.

What any First Lady says in a speech at a convention is just fluff. Shouldn't affect who you're voting for.

It probably has the opposite affect of what the opposition wants. It makes me feel for her because for someone
    With no experience in speech giving, she was probably nervous as hell.

She probably wanted to do the best she could, makes it tougher also when you are someone with an accent....

If this was the biggest problem our country had, using a few words from someone else it would be great.

Yep, this is petty. If Trump was the one that did this, I can understand the headlines but it was his wife giving her first real speech.

If I was on his staff I would have said....Sorry, we made a mistake....it's not Melanie's fault and we apologize.

Much Ado About Nothing*

*William Shakespeare :)

Yvonne Smith and Ken Anderson like this.
  14. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Yes, that was embarrassing and someone should be fired for it, but you can't really plagiarize a cliche, and the part that seems to have been lifted from Michelle Obama's speech consisted of motivational speaker cliches, the sort of which have been said by a lot of people, such as Leah LaBelle. On the other side of the aisle, Joe Biden lifted an entire speech from Neil Kinnock during the 1988 campaign, including a personal history anecdote, yet Fox was pretty much the only media that would carry the story, and he was a candidate, not the wife of a candidate. That did get some traction but it was a pretty blatant rip-off, yet he came back ask VP. Still, the similarity of a segment of her speech to Michelle Obama's has allowed to media to focus on that rather than on anything positive that might have occurred during the first day of the convention, so I'm hoping a speech writer is out of a job. Whether it was stolen from Michelle Obama's speech or whether they both happened to use the same tired cliches, it certainly didn't show a lot of thought.

On Facebook, I've seen people referring to her as if she were some bimbo model whose only asset is that she was able to latch on to a rich husband. On the contrary, she is classier than her husband. She is well educated and speaks five languages, and would certainly bring poise and grace to the White House. I'm sure she's embarrassed by the similarity of that bit of her speech to one by Michelle Obama, and I'm also sure that she didn't write that part of it, despite claims to the contrary. In high-stakes elections, most everyone uses a speechwriter for at least a portion of her speech so, while she may have contributed to her speech, that wasn't the part of it that she wrote.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2016
  15. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I agree. All English Teachers here in High School run all essay and reports through some plagiarism software, so the kids know they have to be very cautious because it will even throw out a paper with a few words plagiarized.

Maybe they should get something like that.