Millinocket, Maine

Discussion in 'Places I Have Lived' started by Ken Anderson, Mar 9, 2015.

1. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Very Well-Known Member
    Patron Registered

We still see that here, too @Ken Anderson but it is getting less common. I was totally shocked when I was in Seattle in a snow, and my daughter in a four-wheel drive truck stopped to help a woman and her two children stuck in the ditch. My daughter offered help, and even tried to push the car, but the driver totally ignored her and didn't even respond when spoken to. I had never seen such cold behavior in my life, and I now understand why no one helps others in the Northwest..they are so rude!

Ken Anderson and Lois Winters like this.
  2. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Greeter
    Staff Member Greeter Patron Registered

When I was in high school, a friend and I were on a not-well-traveled road sometime after midnight, on a cold night, and came across a woman who had gone off the road into the snow. We stopped to help but she practically screamed at us to leave her alone. I tried to explain that we were just going to try to get her out of the snowbank but I guess she was more afraid of us than of freezing to death in her car. It was hard to talk to her anyhow because she wouldn't roll her window down. We stopped at the next house and asked someone to call the sheriff's department.

3. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Greeter

A woman who has lived alone a few doors down from me, on the same street, for quite a few years, died a few months ago, and it turns out that she had been in the federal witness protection program. She was a friend of my neighbor, across the street, so I'd see her every now and then, but I had never spoken to her except to say hello. I'll probably never learn the facts, but although she lived here under an American name (Corrine), she was apparently from the Middle East. I hadn't noticed anything particularly ethnic about her, though. My neighbor is an auctioneer and he will be auctioning off her stuff. Apparently, she has a lot of expensive stuff, and I had thought that people in the witness protection program were forced to live rather frugally.

I guess it makes sense that there would be people on the witness protection program here. We're out of the way. No one passes through Millinocket unless they're going to Baxter State Park, and there are a lot of empty houses here. On the downside, people tend to know one another here, so someone would have to be pretty good at playing a part.

4. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Veteran Member
    Registered

5. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Veteran Member
    Registered

So today I got the Retiree Newsletter from the mega-corp I used to work for. I always check out the "In Memoriam" section to see if any of my coworkers is no longer with us. The quarterly list is always quite lengthy, but as I scanned the names I noticed an obituary from Millinocket ME. Apparently Mr. Peter King passed away on July 5, 2019. I didn't know him, but I zeroed in on his location.

6. Lois Winters

Lois Winters Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I've heard countless reports of rudeness in Seattle. I'd never want to live out there.

Monica Rich likes this.
  7. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Greeter

I didn't know Peter King, but I see that he was just a few months older than me. From the obituary, I know his brother-in-law, although not well. There are only a couple of thousand people in Millinocket, but a whole lot more people who were raised here, since the population of the town is about half of what it was in 1980, when the paper mill cut most of its workforce, before closing entirely in the early 2000s.

8. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Veteran Member
    Registered

I didn't know him, either. Apparently he was in the maritime division and I was down here among the chemical plants.