Modern Technology

Discussion in 'Gadgets & Tech Talk' started by Mal Campbell, Feb 9, 2015.

1. Michelle Stevens

Michelle Stevens Veteran Member
    Registered

I didn't think of electricity but you're so right @Mal Campbell. In South Africa our electricity supply is under severe pressure and we've been having frequent scheduled power cuts of around four hours at a time. Most of the big malls have generators, so it's business as usual there, but we don't have one at home. I don't mind so much when they cut our power during the day, but I hate to be left in the dark at night. Looking out of the window and not being able to see lights anywhere makes me feel like my Mom and I are all alone in the world.

I really feel for you going 3 days without power. The worst I've ever experienced was about 24 hours and it's something I never want to go through again.

Lois Winters likes this.
  2. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

@Mal Campbell , we have been really cold and had snow and sleet here , too. I am in Alabama, so not too far south of Tennessee. Thankfully our lights did not go out this time, and it was pretty cold to have lost power.
    Sopposed to be cold here for the rest of the week/month. But then, we have 60F by next week,so hopefully, you will havee warmer weather as well.
    I have a backup battery charger for the ipad that my daughter got me. I keep it charged up just in case of an emergency. The iPad itself will run for a while before the batteries go down, especially if I am careful with it.
    I don't like going without electricity, but it is definitely better when you have an ipad than not ! !

3. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

4. Lois Winters

Lois Winters Veteran Member
    Registered

What I despise about cell phones is the lack of privacy or the desire for same by users of same. I do not care to hear anyone's phone conversation, yet it is all around us constantly. Also, the fact that individuals can all sit in the same room for a family get together and sit and text continuously. Rude? You bet. I guess many of the technological advances of today, I could live without as we did during the depression and WWII. It would be tough, but we learned to survive.

5. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

I have always been a “Gadget Girl” all my life, and I love new technology, at least for the most part. My mom was that way, and so is my daughter, Robin; so I guess that I came by it naturally.
    I totally love my iPhone 11, and all of the amazing things that I can do with it. I actually thought it was wonderful, the first iPhone that I had, because it had a camera built in.
    It seemed like there would always be something that I wished I had brought my camera along to take a picture of, but unless I intended to take pictures, I seldom took my camera along.
    Now, I always have one with me, should I want to grab a picture of something.

Last night, we had another one of the spring thunderstorms, no tornadoes (at least near us); but it did knock the power out over our part of Huntsville for a couple of hours.
    I had a little USB lantern that Robin gave me, and which I have kept charged up, and it worked great . Bobby had one, too, and we connected to the internet with the hotspot on our phones; so we were still able to use our iPads even during the outage, and had lights, all due to technology.
    I call this little guy my R2D2 lantern.

480168D7-E5EB-4AFE-B7B1-E57BC2835368.jpeg

6. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

My Laptop---