Moving Costs

Discussion in 'Money & Finances' started by Cody Fousnaugh, Jul 10, 2019.

1. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

2. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Well, all I can say is…….extremely glad my wife got it cleared up with the manager. If the manager would have told my wife "sorry, you don't have enough income (which is the key word here) to rent here", we would've had to rent a P.O. Box for our mail to go to, stay at an Extended Stay Hotel/Motel for a week or more as well as find/rent a storage place there for United Movers to unload our stuff into. But, thankfully that won't happen.

Actually, I ask my wife a few times, "what if the apt. complex management asks about our income and/or job status? You do remember telling me that you wanted to, and did, fill out the online application while you were still working?" She told me, "Don't worry about it, they won't ask." "Well, guess what, they are in an e-mail". She was surprised, but I wasn't.

Holly Saunders likes this.
  3. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

And, which many apt. complexes do now, they ask us for a document showing we have apartment insurance, the account numbers for electrical and city utilities and SS report of income for each of us. It was put into the online application where my wife is working, so that wasn't a problem...….at that time. But, after we move from here is what they were wondering about. Job offer there or working for the same company, but there. Neither for her! But, at least they accepted our SS and 401k as income.

On the online application, we done a few months ago, we sent them our SS reports, our Florida DL's and the apartment insurance we have here. Thing is, our Florida apartment insurance obviously won't cover an apartment out of the state, so we had to cancel our boat and renters insurance here and get it there, by way of the cell phone...…….of which we done today.

This is the first time we've been asked for acct. numbers for electrical, etc., including apartment insurance. Then again, it's been 10 1/2 years since our last move from North Carolina to here. Things change and we've found that out.

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  4. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

That's probably all the Californians moving to Colorado.

5. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I haven't lived in an apartment since 1987, but I do recall there being an employment verification and credit check back then. They don't want deadbeats movin' into the 'hood. :D

Thomas Stearn and Bess Barber like this.
  6. Bess Barber

Bess Barber Veteran Member
    Task Force Registered

@Cody Fousnaugh This is the first time I have ever heard of any place asking for renters insurance. The good part about having SS is even with it being lower than regular employment, it's steady and stable. They don't have to worry about people losing their jobs and not being able to pay rent. I'm glad you got things works out though!!

Frank Sanoica and Yvonne Smith like this.
  7. Hedi Mitchell

Registered

All apartment renters have to have insurance in Texas ..

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  8. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Gloria Mitchell
    Interesting! I wonder what type of coverage is required by law? Liability, no doubt, but for whose benefit? The renter, in case the Postman falls down? Or the owner, to cover damages incurred.

I have rented both apartments and houses over my lifetime, a total of four times. Insurance was never mentioned. Would rooms rented in, say, a motel, long-term, require insurance in TX?
    Frank

9. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I don't believe that renters insurance is required by law in Texas, although it is probably true that most property management companies require it, and that most people who own apartment buildings use a property management company or require it themselves. Renters insurance, as I remember, isn't terribly expensive in Texas, however.

Beth Gallagher and Frank Sanoica like this.
  10. Hedi Mitchell

Registered

No it is not expensive Ken ...for $40,00
    It costs less than $15 a month. If you get the insurance thru your Auto insurance provider you normally get that discounted also. Do not know that it is law here but required by the majority of property owners.
    Basically...I think ..because of fires more than anything. So many never had insurance when lost their home to fire. Plus if you're the cause of the fire, it helps with that.
    https://www-effectivecoverage-com.c...can-landlord-require-renters-insurance-texas/