Murders In Apts., Condo's, Houses

Discussion in 'Not Sure Where it Goes' started by Cody Fousnaugh, Mar 20, 2017.

1. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Would you rent an apartment, buy a condo or house if you knew someone had been murdered in it? Don't know if there really is a way to find out this information or not.

A couple of years ago, we had a murder-suicide in an apartment two buildings over from us. Somebody new is living in that apartment now, but doubt they were told, or know, about what happened in it.

Even when someone dies of natural causes in an apartment, condo or house and the people move, I doubt new residents or buyers are told about the death that occurred.

2. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

Interesting question Cody - be interested to hear others views
    Mine - I wouldn't buy or rent if I knew, I get vibes about places and I wouldn't be able to
    shift the feeling.

3. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Same as us.

4. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

Ken Anderson likes this.
  5. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I don't think it would bother me -- unless, of course, the implication was that it was a dangerous neighborhood.

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  6. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Well, just like Patsy, it would bother us. So much, we wouldn't rent or buy. To us it would be just creepy to know and live there.

7. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Unless it's a bad neighborhood...why @Cody Fousnaugh?

Do you believe in ghosts? Bad juju?

Things happen all over the place, you probably just don't know about it and it doesn't mean it's going to happen again....unless of course it's a bad neighborhood but then you can be murdered in any house.

8. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

We believe in spirits. Anyway, it's just the way we are @Chrissy Cross. Ask Patsy why she feels the way she does.

9. Chrissy Cross

Registered

That's okay, I'm not going to ask everybody that posted why, you started the post and that's why I asked you.

I don't believe in spirits so guess that's why I'm not bothered.

10. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Yea, that's ok. I posted the Thread because I was curious about who would and who wouldn't. If a person isn't told by apt. management there was or a seller didn't say anything, the person wouldn't know. But, then again, what if a neighbor told the new tenant or owner. Hummm, interesting what could happen then.

Ken Anderson likes this.
  11. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Like I posted, I think they have to tell...unless the person died of aids.

If it's not the law, then I guess you move if someone else told you and you couldn't stay.

12. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

After seeing Charles Manson on the News last week and being reminded of how he and his "groupies" murdered Sharon Tate and her unborn baby plus some others in her home, I can definitely say that I would not like to live in a house where someone was murdered. I do believe that an evil aura would exist in any house that people were murdered in and if it's not a law that something like this has to be disclosed...it should be in my opinion!

Holly Saunders and Yvonne Smith like this.
  13. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

I agree with you, @Cody Fousnaugh , and if I knew someone had been murdered at a house or apartment; I would not be likely to move there. Of course, people die at home every day; so there is no way that you would be likely to know about it unless it was something that made the news and people were talking about it.
    Each state has its own housing regulations; so it would probably depend on where you lived, whether they had to disclose this information or not, but I don't think the landlord would tell people this information unless they were required to disclose it.

Holly Saunders likes this.
  14. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

Two people have died in my house, that I know of, but neither of them were murders. One was a drunk who fell out of a window and died, and the other was a woman with an illness, I don't know any more about that. On the other hand, there was a house a block and a half away that everyone referred to as "the murder house" and no one would live there long. They tore it down about a year ago. I don't think anyone alleged that there were ghosts or anything; they just didn't like everyone referring to their home as "the murder house." I'm not sure just what happened as far as the murders go, but the story is that it was someone within the family who killed three other members of his family a long time ago.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
    Chrissy Cross likes this.
  15. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Here is some online research info:
    About a previous death on the rental property? Depending on state or municipal law, sometimes landlords are required to disclose whether there’s been a death. Many states recognize that there is an emotional and psychological impact of living in such a place. Whether landlords must disclose the issues that contribute to a psychologically impacted property all depends on the state laws—sometimes it’s mandatory and sometimes it is not required.

California State Law
    The law in California (Cal. Civ. Code § 1710.2.) requires landlords to voluntarily disclose whether there has been a death at the rental property that occurred within the past three years. Landlords cannot provide details about the previous tenant’s identity, job, family or lifestyle—just that the death occurred and minimum information about the cause. If the prospective tenant directly asks about any deaths before the past three years, the landlord is required to provide that information, but does not have to volunteer it.