My Never Ending Search For Employment

Discussion in 'Senior Employment' started by Sandy Wood, Aug 1, 2016.

1. Jazzey Smith

Jazzey Smith Veteran Member
    Registered

Thank you. Having lived here all my life, I'm not likely to move. I guess I'll just have to keep working until I can come up with something else. Thank God I like my job (most of the time). lol

2. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

Welcome to the forum Rose & Jazzey! Hope you both find a home among us.
    welcomewagonpic.jpg

3. Sandy Wood

Sandy Wood Veteran Member
    Registered

I enjoy reading all your posts and thank you for replying. I am on SSD. I get less than $500 a month. It takes me $700, a month to pay all my regular bills and so extras like taxes on house and insurance on house & car & me, continue to drain my bank account. But a house paid for is cheaper to live in then paying $700 a month rent plus utilities. I can not get SSI, but at 65, I can get a bit more from my ex-husband's SS, and that will help. Plus my SSD will switch to regular SS, at that age.
    I live 45-50 miles from most shopping centers that might offer jobs you have mentioned. I am now facing a vision problem that might require eye surgery to prevent blindness. That is another worry.
    Good news I was asked by a friend if I could help her one or two days a week with household chores and grocery shopping. I said yes, praying I can do what she needs done. Another lady called and ask me if I was interested in ironing her clothes. I told her yes, as that is something I know how to do thanks to Grandma teaching me.
    And I found a place online where you can take collage courses for free. It is called ALISON.com and they have lots of courses. I am taking a Journalism course and then maybe a care giving course, or writing course. It is all online and then you pay for the diploma when done that is if you keep a high grade average in the tests. Even armed with the know how it is worth doing.
    I have been looking on job search sites like Indeed and FlexJobs, HireMe and some lesser known places I found online. I found a new survey site called Radical Insight, that I will let you know if it is worth joining. I hope other little jobs come my way as need arises. I hope I can offer hope to some of you that are looking for jobs that are real and safe to do. :) And welcome to the forum Rose Castle & Jazzey Smith.

4. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

Thank you for the update, @Sandy Wood , sounds encouraging. Will be praying for your eye problems as well. Alison.com sounds like a good tip for folks. :)

5. Rose Castle

Rose Castle Veteran Member
    Registered

Thank you for the warm welcome! I am glad I am able to join this forum. I may not be online everyday, but I will try to be. I will try the best I can to contribute my thoughts. @Joe Riley, @Sandy Wood and the rest, thanks!

As for what @Frank Sanoica, shared, I can relate. I used to observe and sit-in in labor union talks such as CBA. Alas, when labor unions are suppose to be pro-labor, there are those few in the union's leadership that can be co-opted by the powers-that-be.I have experienced union's walk-outs, sit-down strikes, picketing and harassment while on strike. Labor action is hard and the decisions made affect the daily needs of the family. Sometimes, these strikes or union actions can last for months. But there are those unions that would stand their ground. Workers will have to learn to choose their leaders well.

Anyway, glad to be here. For now, I have to focus as well on getting work.;) Thank you and let's learn and enjoy communicating and sharing through the forum.:)

Sandy Wood and Yvonne Smith like this.
  6. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Sandy Wood Sandy, please look at my PM to you. Maybe it will help. Frank

7. Jeanne Palmer

Jeanne Palmer Veteran Member
    Registered

Joe Riley likes this.
  8. Jeanne Palmer

Registered

Hi Sandy, it's Jeanne again. Another helpful website is: www.workersonboard.com and that website has jobs that don't require any experience - and the work is done on line.

OK, I'll keep writing as I find more sites.

Jeanne

Joe Riley and Frank Sanoica like this.
  9. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Jeanne Palmer
    "I'll keep writing as I find more sites."

Please do Jeanne! Also, welcome to This forum. Wonderful folks here, IMHO, (even though I am personally acquainted most intimately with one who may be a bit less than wonderful....).

I liked the name in the first link you provided, "rat race", so closely associated and despising of it, all my life!
    Frank

10. Jeanne Palmer

Registered

Hi Jazzey,

I'm Jeanne, and I just joined here. I'm looking for work here on line too, so if you find something, can you post me about it?

Thanks

Jeanne

Ken Anderson and Joe Riley like this.
  11. Sandy Wood

Sandy Wood Veteran Member
    Registered

Jeanne, I know of a few more sites to search for work and will post them soon. I have already found some work from workersonboard. But I am wanting a bit more. I have found one job and that is helping a lady who has health issues by taking her to the grocery store and drugstore, and staying over night when she is having a bad night. Then on Sunday, I got offered another job at the local community center. This job is funded by PathStones, a government program designed to help seniors get some work. If I get the job it will be doing cleaning and working 3 hours a day, Monday-Friday. Total 15 hours a week. It will be just minimum wage but I am happy to be offered the work.

I might suggest checking with your local community center, senior center, or library, to ask about this program. Also you could let the word out that your willing to drive seniors to the grocery store, doctor visits, pharmacy,.....etc, for a set rate. Most places have ATM buses to haul seniors, but the driver is not allowed to carry your sacks of food to your door or into your place, which is a burden for seniors. Plus they have to sit and wait to be picked up. Think how nice it is to help someone in need and yet get a bit in return.

Chrissy Cross and Yvonne Smith like this.
  12. Jeanne Palmer

Registered

Thanks Sandy:

I'm working part time for an elderly lady - taking her shopping, medical appointments, helping her with exercises and walking. I'm now looking for work here on the internet. I saw some information about doing general transcription - and that looks promising. I'm going to go there now, and read more about that.
    Thanks for your help, and I'm glad that you're finding work too.

Jeanne

13. Jeanne Palmer

Registered

Hi Sandy,

I don't know if you've already been to a website called: www.dogvacay? If not, you might want to look it over. It offers work that you can do from home, babysitting dogs in your own home. I'm going to apply to it yet today.

Jeanne