My Recent Online Purchases - What Were Yours?

Discussion in 'Shopping & Sales' started by Lon Tanner, Oct 25, 2018.

1. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

Sass at excellent hand made shoes made on. San Antonio Tx.
    Yes the Dunes brand is also great .$29.99 well worth the money for me.

Nancy Hart likes this.
  2. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Just ordered 12# of pasta flour and (2) sheets of stainless steel mesh.

The 12# bag of flour saves 33% per pound over the 5# bag, and I burned through 5# pretty quickly.

Gonna use the mesh to stretch across the top of air fryer/defroster baskets:
    [​IMG]

This will double the inĀ² of usable space for dehydrating.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  3. Martin Alonzo

Martin Alonzo Supreme Member
    Registered

Some of the stuff I just ordered
    200 plastic 3 hole punch Sheet protector
    Schottky rectifier diodes
    zinc lozenges
    battery holders
    outlet wall plates
    Samsung Galaxy cell phone
    UV black light
    Germicidal lamp
    kinnikinnick Gluten free white cake

Maggie Rose and John Brunner like this.
  4. John Brunner

@Martin Alonzo
    I recall there being a significant shortage of Shotky diodes back in the 70s.

I think we bought Texas Instruments' 74LS375 (the LS being low power, as I recall.)

I forget if this was a demand problem or a supply issue. None to be found. Caused real problems at work. I was on top of the cobalt mine problems due to tribal wars in Zaire (we used tons of magnets), but this one caught me unawares.

So what are you building, Martin? Or are those for repairs?

5. Hugh Manely

Hugh Manely Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Well, I finally did it. I bought a new hair clipper kit for men. I decided about a month ago, that I would now be my own barber.
    I tried it with some 20-yr-old clippers for the first time, and it wasn't very good. Not bad on top, but the back --- awful.
    My daughter gasped so hard and said: "Dad, I'm going to have to fix that." She did.

Well, now I've watched about 12 videos on the proper way to do it, along with my new set of color-coded Wahl clippers
    All I have to do now, I think is get a 3-way, lighted mirror, and I'll be set. Wish me luck. (and don't ask me to show a picture)

6. John Brunner

Good for you.

I am not coordnated enough to do that in a mirror. I always move the wrong direction.

7. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

If you find a 3-way mirror you like let us know. I've been looking for one for the same reason.

I can not use the scissors in the mirror either. Hoping it just takes a lot of practice. :rolleyes:

John Brunner likes this.
  8. Martin Alonzo

Registered

The diodes I got an old cell phone charger that puts out 5 volts I use the diodes in series to lower the voltage to about 3.75 volts and use it to recharge alkaline batteries I put two batteries in series and connect it up if the batteries are good they charge right up I have used some batteries 5 or 6 times.
    I am always playing with electronics

John Brunner likes this.
  9. John Brunner

That's interesting. From my VERY limited knowledge, I would have put a resistor across the output to drop the voltage. I would not have though of a diode in series to drop it.

10. Martin Alonzo

Registered

A resister will work only when you have current flow. There is a .6 volt drop going through a diode. I recharge my batteries as often as I can. I made led flash lights years before they became popular.

11. John Brunner

Interesting.

I worked with a company in the 70s installing security and access control systems. Lots of our stuff had LED indicators in them.

The early tri-color ones were hi-tech!!

12. Hugh Manely

Hugh Manely Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Well, someone asked me to let them know if I found a good, cheap, trifold makeup mirror for cutting my own hair.
    This has been a difficult undertaking, far beyond my expectations, but I finally settled on one for around $40.

The reason is that most of them were for our ladies, who use makeup for eyes, lips, and whatever (I am not well-versed in what all the ladies do).
    They were all too small, and not suitable for men, who need them to be larger, so they can see the back of their head clearly.
    Most all the ones I looked at had a distance across of 13", and when you fold out the little side mirrors, that's only less than 2 " for each - WAY too small for men - plus some were selling for over $100!

So in my search (ebay, Walmart, Amazon, dept. stores, even Home Depot and Lowes and others) I could not find anything suitable.
    I even watched videos on how a person could build their own trifold mirror by buying 3 flat, cheap mirrors and then hinges to fix them to stay together.
    But that was not suitable either, because there was no way to have them magnified so I could see close up.

So after about 2 days of looking, here is the one I finally decided to get, since it was 18 " across: [​IMG]

I found one at a place for $39, which was cheaper than Amazon (for $44), and usually you can't beat that, but I got the LAST one, so they say.

Anyway, it was sort of a wound to my ego - for a man to have to get a make-up mirror - so now I can sit at my kitchen table and cut my hair!
    It has lights, magnification of different sizes, etc - so now I'm all set.

Just thought I would answer the request

Nancy Hart likes this.
  13. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

@Hugh Manely:

That was me, Hugh. . I spent an equal amount of time looking and gave up. Thanks. I'll check it out.
    [ Oh, but you got the last one. :( :D ]

14. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

15. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I got my new Birkenstocks (woohoo), some jogger pants and a couple of sweatshirts. I'm going all-in on the "comfy at home" thing.