My Recent Online Purchases - What Were Yours?

Discussion in 'Shopping & Sales' started by Lon Tanner, Oct 25, 2018.

1. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Oh, and the Cyber Monday sale on the Ring 3 doorbell reeled me in. $139 from Amazon. I ordered it late last night and it's out for delivery today.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  2. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I got new glasses last week. Actually, I repurposed old frames and had new lenses put in...still too damned expensive, but thankfully I only have to do it every couple of years.

I needed non-polarized clip-on sunglasses for them, so went to https://cliponsunglasses.com/ my favorite website for this product. I get non-polarized because my car has a heads-up display that projects info onto the windshield. Polarized lenses wash it out.

My optometrist gave me the specs on my frames and I double-checked with my dial calipers. I could not find a match on their website, so used their help service. You scan your glasses along side a quarter, attach it to an online form, and they do the rest. Clever, huh?
    Eyeglasses.jpg

I filled out the form at 1PM, they replied at 7PM, I placed my order at 8PM, and got a USPS Tracking Number at 8:30PM. There is no perfect fit, but they have a discontinued model (at a discount price) that's a "best fit" to the frame shape...it's just a couple mm out on the width.

[​IMG]
    I like these guys. My last set have been great.

Von Jones likes this.
  3. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

Within the next few minutes I'm going to order this shirt from Lands' End. It is the only long sleeved polo shirt I can find anywhere at a reasonable price with a pocket. It is only reasonable because they are applying a first time purchase discount. Still high, imo. If I knew it would fit well I'd order 2.

upload_2020-12-1_11-30-51.png

Yvonne Smith and John Brunner like this.
  4. John Brunner

Why not order 2, knowing you can exchange/return?

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  5. Nancy Hart

Registered

I dread the hassle of returns. Would rather take the loss. But that's just me. Did you know some places keep track of how many returns you make?

"At least a dozen major retailers are discreetly tracking shoppers' returns and punishing people who are suspected of abusing their return policies. Amazon, Best Buy, Home Depot, and Victoria's Secret are among them." -Business Insider

Von Jones and John Brunner like this.
  6. Nancy Hart

Registered

Update. I found the same shirt through Amazon (from Lands' End) for the same price (after the LE discount) and free shipping.

Plus I think the Discover Card has a 5% cashback bonus for Amazon orders through December. Glad I checked one more time. :D

Yvonne Smith and Beth Gallagher like this.
  7. John Brunner

I understand. It's a royal pain.

Funny that I, too, have sometimes just eaten the cost. I did it recently with some pocketed t-shirts I bought from JC Penney online. The one I had purchased in the store had worn out, and was of great quality. I ordered what looked like the exact same one form the website, and it feels like it's made of cheesecloth. I should have returned it, but...

I know I've returned maybe 4-5 expensive things to Amazon over the years and--to my knowledge--have suffered no repercussions from it. But having worked retail, and knowing how we all pay the cost of the abusers, I can understand them tracking it. None of us would have a problem if a restaurant owner banned some guy who habitually got down to the last bite of his meal and then declared "This sucks, I'm not paying for it."

You know, if you've paid for 2 of them, you might be more likely to deal with the hassle and not be out the money. Mebbe.

Nancy Hart likes this.
  8. John Brunner

You are such a good shopper!!!

And Amazon is real easy to return through.

9. John Brunner

Is this the one that some local police departments are being given access to "for our own good"?

10. Beth Gallagher

Registered

I believe you can allow the police to have access, but I can't imagine why they would. The video clips can be stored or discarded as necessary, so if there was suspicious activity I could show the police. There'd be no reason for them to "surveil" my front yard unless they want to see my mushroom pods.

11. Al Amoling

Al Amoling Veteran Member
    Registered

I ordered some meds on 11/16/20 and got notice via informed delivery that I should expect it on 11/30/20.. When I go to get it at the post office it's not there. It started it's journey in Wilkes Barre PA then went to Philadelphia then on to Chicago and it's now sitting in Elk Grove Illinois. I got in touch with pharmacy and am awaiting their response.

12. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

I have been using this and I really LOVE it ! I wish that I had bought one sooner , it is perfect in hot coffee or hot tea and turns everything into kind of a latte. I have been adding a little flavoring to the milk as well, and then sprinkling some spice on the top.
    The froth acts as an insulator and keeps my coffee hot longer.

Now, I want one of those clear plastic insulated mugs, so that I can see my frothy coffee in the cup when I am drinking it.

9D429C0C-5DF7-4833-9EE3-02E5D40F6DE2.jpeg

John Brunner likes this.
  13. John Brunner

I just took a look.

Access is by consent. Amazon is sharing the list of Ring owners with local police so those police can contact homeowners in order to request access. [edit to clarify that this may not always be the case.]

Some police departments are offering free Ring doorbells in exchange for access.

So it's not Tin Foil Hat time...I'll just wear the visor.

edit to add: Link to an in-depth article on this subject.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2020
  14. John Brunner

So how's cleanup?

15. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Yes, I had heard about that but it doesn't concern me.

I think it's kind of cool that I have a couple of Fire tablets and a Fire (smart) TV, so I can say "show me the front door" and can see what's going on out there from my recliner. :D

We already have a Blink camera out there but it's going to be moved to the back yard.

John Brunner likes this.