Naïve People

Discussion in 'Not Sure Where it Goes' started by Cody Fousnaugh, Oct 25, 2020.

1. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

How do you get along with this kind of personality? Naïve people are sometimes called "closet people".

I have a SIL (wife's sister) who is exactly like this. She will ask me questions about the virus, about politics and the question of "why are these people doing this/acting this way?" Her questions will many times frustrate me and I will say "and, you don't know?"

Her only brother doesn't like talking to her because of this.

When I tell a friend of ours what she has said, he will say "did she really ask that?" He thinks she is hilarious. He won't talk to her on the phone either.

2. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

I think the example that you use of your SIL is a very poor example.

3. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Lon, you don't know her or talk to her. She'd rather ask than doing any kind of research or "think" the "why" on her own. Even her sister (my wife) would tell anyone just how naïve she is! She doesn't even talk to her much on the phone. We both just thank God she lives in California and we live here in Colorado.

Don't get me wrong, she is nice, but many have told her that she is "overly nice". To me, she knows very little about real life.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2020
  4. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

He who knows not and knows that they know not is ignorant......teach him.
    He who knows not but believes he knows is stupid, shun him.

If someone trusts you enough to give a truthful answer to a question, that person is either a fool or a friend in need.
    A fool if that trust is unwarranted, or a friend in need if you are indeed worthy of that trust.

Ya know Cody, I have been teaching people from all walks of life for many years and in a few fields and I never once minded giving an answer provided that I knew what I was talking about.
    Being naive is not bad thing. It just means that someone does not have the experience necessary to implement a proper solution to a problem.
    To some extent, every human being on the face of the earth is naive about something so how do I handle it? I look in the mirror before I speak and do a lot of studying lest I be caught in my own ignorance.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2020
  5. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

Bobby did a lot of answering for me Cody, but your post made me feel a little sad
    There's a lot worse than being naive such as ignorance - if she's a nice person, that's far more important

6. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Well, two kind of personalities I can have a problem with..........overly quiet and naïve. Just like there are those that have a problem with my personality of sarcasm and being arrogant. However, my wife loves my personality and that is all that matters.

And, don't be "sad" about my post, it's just a fact how the SIL is. Outgoing people have a hard time getting along with introverted types. Without a doubt, many of you know someone that you don't like their personality.

7. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Well, my wife was somewhat naïve, until she met/married me. She knows how her sister is. To me, knowing the "why" of different things is better than always asking the "why?". The person asking the "why?" may already know the "why" and, when told the "why" will say, "that's true".

8. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

So then, you have a problem with yourself then. I see.
    You Cody, are naive about a lot of things and as a matter of fact, some of the things you are ignorant of, you do not even know what they are.
    We are ALL naive or ignorant about something.

Now, about quiet people.
    Seems to me, quiet people have a certain mystique about them. They keep a person wondering as opposed to those who guarantee their foolishness by constantly opening their mouths.

9. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

Sorry Cody, you totally lost me.
    Someone who is asking why is looking for answers. Why would someone ask a question they already know the answer to unless they are either a teacher or looking for an agreement?

My goodness, there isn’t a day that goes by that I am not asking questions about something.
    Enquiring minds want to know. (seemed like a good place for a little plagiarism)

10. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Anyway, let's get back to..........do you know anyone who is naïve? Well, I could expand this thread by asking, "who do you know that you really don't like their personality?"

Now, that same SIL doesn't like the personality of her own brother. She doesn't like that he no longer wants very much, if anything at all, to do with the family anymore. Heck, he will even laugh over the phone at something his sister has said to me. "You have to be kidding" he will say.

11. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

Most life long politicians.

12. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Just to let everyone here know, we DO love her, just wish she wasn't so much this way. She was here a couple of weeks ago for a day visit and everything was fine, with a nice visit. But, when we is bored at home, due to the virus in So California, we will talk and the questions will come out. Guess I should give the phone to my wife and let her handle the questions.

13. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

@Cody Fousnaugh
    I am probably going to whacked on this- but. I think the problem lies with her being to lazy to find answers on her own
    She is not being naive, she's just lazy to me. She is grown she can look up her own questions that's what Google is for.
    People don't mind giving answers- until it becomes constant habit.:)
    Now here are a few responses you could give her...
    Cat fur to make kiten britches
    I don't know you tell me
    For me to know and you to find out
    Do I look like a walking encyclopedia
    Think about it...teachers may give answers but at the same time expect student to research it out..for themselves.
    If she can't read you don't want to embarrass her..just let her know there are many ways to learn things.
    At some point would lose patience with the constant Why of a grown woman- and delicately and nicely let her know..I mean she is ;)family.

14. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

I can't say that I know any one that has your SIL's personality but my grandson is always asking me questions about things. Sometimes I have answers and sometimes I don't know and we look things up together.

I have always thought of someone being 'naive' as living in a sheltered life not having experienced things that they are asking about. Being curious and wanting to know the 'who, what, when, where, why, why not and how.' Sometimes people have an idea about things and seek confirmation or agreement, hence, 'that's true.'

15. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Totally, 100% agree, Gloria. A "5-Star" answer! Now, Gloria, I have said to her some statements like you listed and she thinks I'm being sarcastic with her. She's even hung up the phone on me. Anyway, she is a retired Special Education teacher with a Masters Degree.

Now, I can only hope that the other replies here will read yours and understand why wife and I feel the way we do.

Hedi Mitchell likes this.