National Rifle Association

Discussion in 'Politics & Government' started by Hal Pollner, May 6, 2018.

1. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

I keep forgetting that some folks on here have never been in Colorado, Wyoming, Montana, the Dakota’s or the Plains States. I have been and seeing firearms displayed in homes in not unusual at all.

2. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

When I was growing up, my dad always had a couple of guns, a rifle, and a shotgun, I think, leaning up against the wall by the door, and I think they were loaded. There was zero concern about any harm from people. The guns were there in case a fox was in the chicken house or some other critter was threatening any of his livestock. A river went through our land and it bordered on a woods. In Maine, it's not unusual for people to display their guns, particularly when they have something they're especially proud of, but probably less so than there used to be, the worry there being theft.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  3. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Cody Fousnaugh
    Cody, you're talking about two different things. I'm referring to RENTED premises, not a residence owned by the occupant. Renting encompasses different rules of occupancy. I have no doubt at all about the homes in the states you mentioned being well-armed. But, it seems ratyher unusual that you have been witness to folks home interiors ..in all those states........You must have moved often.
    Frank

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  4. Ken Anderson

During the time that I was in Texas, I rented a few houses and a place in a condominium, and as far as I am aware, there were no restrictions on gun ownership. I suppose it's likely that there are apartment complexes that don't allow guns but I think it's just as likely that most people renting houses don't have those restrictions.

5. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Supreme Member
    Registered

I'm a life member of the NRA. I've been a member since 1969. As for being timid, Cody, there are some of us who don't speak until we have something to say.:D

I've been trying to count how many guns I have. Hmmm, I count six handguns of various types and calibers, three 22 caliber rifles, two .270 caliber rifles, one .303 Savage rifle, four shotguns and one "Tommy" gun. OOPS, make that two 22 caliber rifles, I gave one to my cousin. I think that's all, I'll have to look around the house and shop to make sure.

6. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Ok, Frank. Sorry.
    Anyway, the term "well armed" isn't used for homes in those states. People who live in, or around, big cities where high crime is, use that term. Families in those states have firearms for fun and enjoyment much more than for protection. Just letting you know this.
    There are shows on tv that have shown the interiors of ranch homes, and other homes, that are displaying firearms.

Frank, I did travel, and in those states, like Ken stated, it's not uncommon at all to see firearms displayed in homes and/or apartments. For one thing, people just don't sell their firearms because they are going to rent an apartment or house. My one neighbor told me that she has a 9mm in her apartment and an previous neighbor had a shotgun in his. When he was moving, I seen him carry it our in a case. I would tend to believe that there are many, many apartment and house renters that have firearms in their homes and also have home insurance covering the firearms and other possessions in the home. Most folks who live here have firearms in their homes for protection, whereas we have them for protection as well as going to the range for some shooting fun.

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  7. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

The word "timid" to me would be like someone who would never pick up a firearm, let alone shoot one. Both of my SIL's are just like that. My wife is somewhat timid, but owns and shoots her own rifle and handgun. IOW, I guess, the word "timid" can cover how some folks react to different things.

8. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

People here where we live have firearms much more for protection than pleasure. Another reason we want to move! Where we are looking at, firearms are kept for protection, but the main thing is for pleasure in hunting or target shooting at a range.

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  9. Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner Veteran Member
    Registered

YEAH! Good for you, Bobby!
    Hal

Bobby Cole likes this.
  10. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

I don't know who's timid or bold. Some may not have had their hot button punched hard enough, yet. Or maybe like someone has already said, they may not say anything until they have something to say. There's always been a gun or two around my house, usually a rifle and a handgun. I've never been a member of the NRA but considered joining at one time. I figured I needed the membership money more than they did.

11. Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner Veteran Member
    Registered

Do I like guns?

Here's my Reloading Bench:
    447.jpg Hal

Bobby Cole and Frank Sanoica like this.
  12. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Hal Pollner
    A "one-shot press", like the only one I have now. In Missouri, I had a Lee Progressive press and routinely reloaded several thousand rounds at a crack. I still have all my dies and assorted other tools, do most pistol calibers and quite a few rifle, 7.62 X 39, .223, .30-30, 7mm Rem, .30-06, .308, and 8mm Magnum.
    Frank

13. Jim Nash

Jim Nash Veteran Member
    Registered

Here in Britain you have to belong to a gun club to own a weapon. It's five years inside for possession. We are plagued with gang shootings, because like drugs guns are easily obtained and they are not registered.
    What is the point of banning firearms in the States? Surely nobody believes that all the weapons out there will be obediently handed in. At least having a weapon available when needed is better than a broomstick.
    It's not that many years ago we just purchased a shot gun licence from the Post Office.

14. Ken Anderson

Even law abiding people here are opting to purchase guns in private sales rather than from dealers so that there won't be a record of their ownership in the event that Maine ever elects people who will ban guns, or the federal government does it. Plus, whenever there is a strong push to ban a certain type of weapon, thousands of people rush out to buy them while they can.

Bobby Cole and Frank Sanoica like this.
  15. Ken Anderson

People who had never heard of a bump stock until the Las Vegas shooting probably own one now.

Bobby Cole likes this.