Neighbors

Discussion in 'Places I Have Lived' started by Joe Smith, Mar 30, 2021.

1. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

In other words, you just like to gossip. I hope you included the maintenance girl in the conversation. :rolleyes:

And in my world, telling someone to mind their own business isn't "taking their problems out on others," it's just the opposite... a request to be left the hell alone.

2. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

And, Beth, just what do you like to do?? And, thank God not everyone lives in your world! If you want to be "left the hell alone", why are you part of this forum?? Only asking.

Are you sure you're friendlier than you say you aren't?

3. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

4. Beth Gallagher

Registered

I choose my friends wisely, and don't go around gossiping about people. And mostly, I don't JUDGE people based on their tatoos, brand of ridiculous boots, or the fact that they are a millenial. :rolleyes:

As for why I'm part of this forum... MYOB. :p

5. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

John, who in the heck cares about "boundaries"? Heck, the neighbor that moved in right above had absolutely no problem telling us where he goes to church, been married or not and what he does for work.

Don't you know........."enquiring minds want to know"?

6. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Yea, you do JUDGE, in one way or another. Beth, we all do. Some will admit it and others like to hide it, but do. Heck, Beth, what do you think some people in this forum do.......gossip about others:D! LOL Don't you know that that's what Seniors do?:D

7. Beth Gallagher

Registered

I thought you were done with us and headed for the OK Corral forum. Did they figure you out already?

And I see we have dragged yet another thread off-topic, so I'm done here. Bye now.

Mary Robi and Trevalius Guyus like this.
  8. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

The guy above you "over-shares." He's not invading your space.
    And it sounds like that mother/daughter care about boundaries.

I lived next door to a guy who would casually ask other neighbors the date of their anniversary, then on that date send their wives flowers "in case the husband forgot."

Mary Robi and Yvonne Smith like this.
  9. Trevalius Guyus

Trevalius Guyus Veteran Member
    Registered

Getting back on track: I must be a lucky guy: I have good neighbors, and have had some of them for the full thirty-two years I've lived here. I had a punk living next door, for two years, but he's in prison, now, where he belongs. I had a family that kept a pack of wild dogs in a corral, but I reported the family to the city, and the dogs disappeared, overnight. The family left after, about, five years. The wife had a fatal heart attack while cheating on her husband, with one of his crew members, when he was out of town, on business. The husband remarried, a few weeks later. I guess they were good for their Peyton Place value! My present neighbors watch my house when I'm out of town, and take in my packages. I do the same for them. I have good next door neighbors on either side, and good across the street neighbors, too!

10. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Beth, sorry, but you just aren't that lucky to see me leave. Sorry. Anyway, the other forum completely likes me (thank God).

And, above all, Ken hasn't kicked me out of this forum, well, yet. LOL

Last edited: Mar 31, 2021
  11. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

"Over-shares", not really. He's just a nice guy and we ask him questions and he answered. See absolutely nothing wrong with that.

As far as "invading space", as far as that goes, nobody we've ever met in a apartment complex would talk to us. The mother/daughter just seem to be angry a lot. Heck, we can hear them talking, very loud, at each other thru our wall.

As far as they go (mother/daughter), they'd better, never ask us for our help for anything. I'd just look at them and say "mind your own business". Things like this can work both ways.

Since she told me "mind your own business, we don't like you", well, the "we don't like you" is how we feel now.

12. Ruby Begonia

Ruby Begonia Supreme Member
    Registered

:D

13. Beth Gallagher

Registered

I never said I wanted you to leave; you made that pronouncement yourself, as you have done many times before. Ken is a very easy-going administrator but I'm sure we are testing his patience with the OFF TOPIC posts.

As far as this thread, we have no problem at all with any of our neighbors. They are friendly but for the most part keep to themselves. Just as we do.

Ruby Begonia and Mary Robi like this.
  14. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Ok, Beth, no problem. Now, back to the thread topic.

15. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

I like to think that I am simply who I am, regardless. If people like me as I am, great. Otherwise, I don't expect to be loved by everyone. Like pretty much everyone else, I enjoy it when people like me but if what they liked was what I pretended to be, then they didn't really like me after all. I don't go out of my way to annoy my neighbors and I am as accepting of their quirks as I hope they are of mine.

For a while, I had a neighbor who decided that he wanted to start a dog kennel in his yard, the part of the yard facing our house. The dogs barking were annoying for a while but, like the train that used to come through in the back of our house, it wasn't long before I barely noticed. As it turned out, someone else in the neighborhood wasn't so accommodating because the police came by about the dogs. He moved shortly after that, and I had hoped he didn't think that it was me who complained but feared he did because we were the closest ones to his dogs. Maybe no one complained because we had a code enforcement officer who went about looking for things to write people up for.

If a neighbor makes me aware that I am doing something that annoys them, I will certainly keep that in mind and try to accommodate them, but if it turns out that there are so many things that annoy them that it becomes difficult to keep up with it all, I'll quit caring about it. I've never had that happen to me since I've been in Millinocket, but Californians complain about everything.

My neighbor across the street will just walk into the house when he comes over, or bang on my window rather than ringing the doorbell. In one sense that can be annoying, like if I'm still in bed at noon, but that becomes a minor annoyance in a field of enjoyment. It's nice having a neighbor who feels close enough to do that, as he has become something akin to family. When we're away from home in the winter, we rarely come home to a driveway full of snow because he will notice that we're away and keep it clear for us. In fact, it took some talking to get him to quit clearing my driveway and sidewalk every morning just because he gets up at 7:00 am and I generally don't get up until at least 10:00 am, and sometimes later. Of course, I do the same for him when he's away or not feeling well.

That's not the case with the neighbor on the other side of me. He is on a half-lot (at some point, I think someone sold their backyard to the guy who built a taxi stand) and when he first moved in, he apparently didn't have a lawnmower because his front yard was getting to the point where he was in danger of getting a letter from the code enforcement guy, so I mowed it for him while I was doing mine. It's a tiny yard that took me two or three minutes to mow. He was uncomfortable with that and insisted on paying me for it, which was uncomfortable for me because I wasn't looking for work. He has been here for a few years now and, while we say hello if we're both outside at the same time, we've never talked beyond that. My wife talks with his wife sometimes, I guess, so it's not a bad relationship - just no relationship.

I wish the guy on the other side of me hadn't moved to a 55+ apartment, as he was a great neighbor. We even had a gate between our two yards. I still see him in the grocery store or around town every now and then.

When I lived in apartments in California, I recognized my neighbors but usually didn't know their names, and that was true in the condo that I leased in Texas too. However, when I moved to a house in Los Fresnos, a small town, I knew my neighbors more. Of course, I was working with the ambulance service and the fire department then, and later went to work with the city.