Newly Diagnosed And Frankly, It's Scary

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Beth Gallagher, Jan 30, 2021.

1. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I know what you mean about the testing. I was really frightened by the PET because it was to scan to see if I had any metastases in my body. As you know, a metastasis makes the patient an automatic "Stage 4" and I was worried about some spots the MRI showed on my liver. Thankfully, those were nothing and the cancer is confined to my breast and a lymph node. Some people may not know that breast cancer confined to the breast is not fatal; it is only when it metastasizes elsewhere in the body that it kills.

I hated the breast MRI (on my stomach in the machine) and the brain MRI with that "Silence of the Lambs" mask on. And wow, you should see the bills I'm racking up!! I think I have recouped every penny of health care premiums I've ever paid, lol.

I hope they get you in soon and get that show on the road. The waiting is definitely what works on a person. Once you know what you're facing, it gets a lot easier. We are all pulling for you.

2. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Thanks for checking in, chick. How are you doing these days? You all have no idea how much it means to me to have people to "talk" to... especially those of you who have walked a similar path. Take care, Lu.

3. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Hey RB; so nice to "see" you. Thanks so much; I never turn down prayers and I certainly can use 'em these days. Hope all is well with you.

Ruby Begonia likes this.
  4. Terry Coywin

Terry Coywin Veteran Member
    Registered

You keep up the good work, Beth. You have a good attitude and that's the most important part of getting well is.

I had a good day, rested, read, played with the dog and ate well.

Keep the faith.

5. Beth Gallagher

Registered

I'm glad you had a relaxing day, TC. I'd give anything if my little sidekick dog was still alive; he was my heart.

I didn't do so well at the salon. When Patsy made the first cut, big ole' tears started to fall. It's like cancer is taking everything from me these days. Anyhow, now I have my "boy hair" and I really hate it, but it will all be gone in a few days so what difference does it make anyhow. Patsy wouldn't take any money today; she has been cutting my hair since before my youngest son was born over 30 years ago.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  6. Terry Coywin

Registered

Aww, Beth, I cut my hair years ago as it is fine like baby's hair. It was naturally curly and frizzed up at the slightest drop of rain or any humidity at all. Finally got sick and tired of it all and cut it off since I saw older women like moi were looking better without it hanging around their faces, etc. So, now it's fairly common and I get the curl cut out of it. You'll be ok and your new hair may come in very curly and tight, so hold on to that.

Ask at Anderson if they don't bring around therapy dogs during your chemo sessions. Sloan Kettering does that and one of the dogs would jump into my daughter in laws lap and curl right up. Cheered her up tremendously.

Keep the faith, kiddo. My back is very painful today. Not happy about that.

7. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

I bet you are cute looking in your new hair do...just hard take going from long to short.

Yvonne Smith and Beth Gallagher like this.
  8. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Thanks, y'all. I suppose I'm just resigned to my fate; as I said, cancer seems to be taking everything from me and I can't do anything about it. I've never been a short-hair person though I don't wear my hair down very often; it's just the principle of the thing. Of course I'm going to be a "no hair person" in a matter of days so why this haircut makes me so sad is irrelevant. I am much more emotional over non-issues it seems. I wish I had a dollar for every tear I've shed since December; I'd need a semi-truck to get to the bank.

TC--I'm so sorry you are having back pain; is that a new development? I'll be glad when you get scheduled for the PET and have an idea of what you are facing. I'm hoping for the best possible outcome for you. As for the dog... I always say "I don't want A dog; I want MY dog." Harry was one of a kind.

9. Terry Coywin

Registered

Yes, Beth, it's a new wrinkle for me. My pet scan is a week from Tues. and I'll have an oncologist there with me at the time to discuss the results. Then I'll see my pumomologist on Thur. for a final decision as to how to approach everything. Of course, not until my is consulted as well. For if I say no to anything, he'll say yes. I gave him the final sayso regarding health determinations and he expects me to live forever. C'est la vie.

10. Beth Gallagher

Registered

I guess my brain is on vacation (as happens often these days); I recall you posting your procedure is scheduled for March 8 so not too far off now. I'm glad they will read the scan ASAP so you don't have to wait longer to hear the result. I hope your back is feeling better and that is just an unrelated temporary pain. I'm sure your son wants what is absolutely best for you no matter what.

My biggest fear is that treatment won't be effective and I will die anyway, after going through the hell of chemo, radiation, etc. If that happens I will really be pissed off. :D I'd rather spend what time I have left feeling like a normal person if possible... which I believe is the path @Babs Hunt chose. If I didn't have the stupid "inflammatory" type my decisions might have been different, but hindsight and all that. Cancer doesn't leave us many choices.

11. Terry Coywin

Registered

Well, Beth, I have lived on this planet for 89 years this year and that's a long time. No one else in my family has come close so far, but I do have a young brother and sister in their early 70s, so they have a chance. After what I saw so many patients, my father and daughter in law go through, I'll agree to radiation, but I believe that's it. On the other hand, you are younger, have a lot more family and I do not blame you one bit for feeling as you do. But in your case as with, Kelly, you have to try. She was only 49. Her mom was only 37. So, that's also what puts it in perspective for me.

Keep the faith.

Don Alaska and Beth Gallagher like this.
  12. Beth Gallagher

Registered

In the spirit of keeping my Adventures in Cancer Diary, I'll just update that today is Taxol chemo #3. That's 3 of 12, then on to the harsher stuff. Can you imagine more harsh, when my body fluids are already a biohazard?? :eek:

So today I'll be traveling down to the League City MDA facility for treatment since they are still scrambling with schedules after being closed down for a week. I haven't been there before so we are leaving a little early. I must admit that so far, the chemo itself hasn't been nearly as bad as I expected. Except for the loss of my hair and a few episodes of rapid heartbeat/low BP, no horrible side effects like some people have, and I'm thankful for that. Must be all those prayers you guys are sending up for me, so thanks again.

13. Terry Coywin

Registered

Good to read that, Beth.

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  14. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Just 5 more days till your scan, TC! I know you will be glad to have that behind you.

Treatment went well today. I got there early and they actually took me early, for both the blood work appointment and the chemo. That was a first since I usually have to wait at least an hour, and last week it was closer to 2 hours. I feel pretty good except for the awful taste in my mouth and kind of a burning sensation on my tongue. I just placed a grocery order and got myself some popsicles! :D

15. Terry Coywin

Registered

That's good, Beth. Waiting is not a fun thing for this situation. My daughter in law never had to wait at Sloan Kettering. We'd no sooner get there and off to the lab she went and then back and up to the Chemo unit. Blessing in disguise.

I have to drink one half of that radiated barium liquid after a very light dinner on Sunday. Nothing but sips of water thereafter until breakfast on Monday. I can have bacon and eggs with water for breakfast if I so desire before 8am. I'll forego that. Sips of water and be at the Nuclear Medicine unit by 2 pm and bringing the other bottle and one half with me. I don't remember how long I have to wait after I manage to get that down. And then the test, which itself is not long at all. It's all the prep time. No exercise or the like for 24 hours prior to the scan. haha, me exercise these days? Not likely. I can walk with the dog at least.

Kelly used to complain about her mouth having that burning and terrible taste. I'd make her my version of smoothies with sherbet. She couldn't really keep them down, so it was mainly ice chips. But her chemo was a mixture of some really potent stuff since she was much sicker than you, Beth.

Keep the faith kiddo. Sounds good so far. How's the index?

Don Alaska likes this.