Occupied

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Ken Anderson, Apr 3, 2018.

1. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Occupied is a Netflix original series set in the near future. In a move to force the world to move to a new form of energy, which it has developed. Norway announces that it will halt all production of oil and gas under its control in the North Sea.

In concert with the European Union, Russia occupies Norway in order to force the continuation of oil and gas flows through its pipelines, first occupying its oil and gas facilities and restarting them, then getting increasingly more involved in Norway’s affairs, to which the Norwegian government acquiesces, prompting an insurgency in Norway.

It’s very well done and intriguing. One thing that might put people off is that the Norwegians speak Norwegian, and Russians speak Russian, although they may use English for the sake of a common language when a non-Norwegians peaking Russian is speaking to a Norwegian, and of course in scenes where the American embassy is involved.

Since Norwegian and Russian are languages that I do not speak but can somewhat follow, sometimes backing it up to read the captions if I am feeling lost, I am able to follow it quite easily, and enjoy it.

We’re seeing more of that, I think, particularly as Netflix plays to a more multilingual audience than we have in the United States, and I can’t say that I hate it. Rather than having Russians speak English with a bad Russian accent, Russians speak Russian, and so on.

Von Jones and Don Alaska like this.
  2. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

+

I personally like shows that use most of the "real" languages if subtitled. Remember Hogan's Heroes where the prisoners sometimes can't speak or understand German at all, while at other times they are sufficiently fluent to pass themselves off as Gestapo officers. Also, some of the signs are in German and some are in English. I've also noticed that almost all Romans and Greeks speak English with a Brit accent....

Ken Anderson likes this.
  3. Ken Anderson

It does require a little more attention, though.

4. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

I have ventured to the international movies on Netflix just recently. I found that with the subtitles most of the movies I've watched were pretty darn good while others moved along slowly and I couldn't stay with them.

I wondered about "Occupied." Maybe I'll check it out.

5. Ken Anderson

Quite a lot of Occupied is in English.

Von Jones likes this.