Oprah For President In 2020?

Discussion in 'In the News' started by Babs Hunt, Jan 8, 2018.

1. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Supreme Member
    Registered

2. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

One would wonder why Oprah would be a good candidate for the liberal train of thought. Trump has been demonized for the wealth he accumulated in the business world but Oprah is one of the most, if not THE most, wealthy female in the U.S.A.
    Why does personal wealth count as a bad thing if a member of one party has it but a good thing if another member of the opposing party has it?

3. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

Oprah is always looking to see how far she can evolve to me. And I'm afraid her evolving as our President would not be a good thing for anyone but her and her cronies.

4. Ruby Begonia

Ruby Begonia Supreme Member
    Registered

Thank you Patsy. I still can't find anything about exactly who made the suggestion and to whom. I wonder what exactly was her response was? If anyone knows, please point me in that direction. Thanks!

5. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I know she has a lot of money, but does Oprah still have an audience? Since she left network TV, the only time I see her is on the cover of her "O" magazine at the grocery store check-out.

6. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

And now, Roseanne Barr states that she could beat Trump, if he goes for President in 2020. Her old Roseanne show is getting a reboot, with Roseanne, John Goodman and some others. Roseanne will be a grandmother and Sara Gilbert will be in it. Roseanne and John were Presenters at the Golden Globes.

7. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

She also said she could beat Oprah and some other famous actress who's name I forgot. She might be a good choice for president. She's on the right side. ;):D

8. Kitty Carmel

Kitty Carmel Veteran Member
    Registered

I didn't watch the Golden Globes. The lets wear black BS was irritating. Doesn't solve anything or does anyone any good. I also heard that the woman who broke the Harvey Weinstein story were not at the awards. And they were the brave ones. They didn't know if anyone would listen to them or call them crazy.

Would I vote for Ms Winfrey on the Democratic ticket? Yes. However with this last mess of an election neither side served up anyone decent and the Democrats need a strong candidate with a law and/or government background to run. Enough with celebrities for now please.

Bill Boggs and Ken Anderson like this.
  9. Martin Alonzo

Martin Alonzo Supreme Member
    Registered

Kitty hope you are not white as Oprah said that they should kill all whites

10. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

As much as it hurts my heart to defend a liberal, that quote is taken totally out of context. I saw the clip. She never, ever at any time said kill white people. She was talking to somebody about what it would take to end racial attitudes. Her reply meant that racism is so ingrained in older people that they will never change. The younger generation is (Hopefully) not as set in their ways. When the older people pass away from natural causes, the younger generations will hopefully be able to see each other as equals.

11. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I think it's a fine line differentiating a statement that indicates that the world would be a better place if old white people would die and one that suggests killing them. It's a legal line, I suppose, in that it protects her if someone should take her up on the suggestion and start ridding the world of old white people. I wouldn't want someone with those views in charge of my health care.

If someone were to say that we'd have a better country if only the black people would die, do you think the semantics would protect them from being accused of hate speech, or worse?

As an older white person, I certainly wouldn't vote for someone who has stated that she wants me dead.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  12. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

I don't think Ms Winfrey could beat Trump. I believe it would take an act of God to elect another black person to that office so soon after Obama.

Martin Alonzo and Ken Anderson like this.
  13. Kitty Carmel

Kitty Carmel Veteran Member
    Registered

Yes, I'm aware of the quote. However, I'd agree she is not 100% correct in this. White people participated in civil rights at a time when they put themselves in danger from racist whites by doing so. Plenty of ignorant idiot younger people still around also.

I've heard of other people say if someone is over 55 or 60 their attitude is going to be different than younger and again I disagree. Both on racist issues and compassion in general. A lot of younger people are too self centered.

14. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

Oprah should have never "lumped" all old white people in that statement. I'm sure her friend Dr. Phil did not appreciate that comment either. Of course he may be thinking about running for President too. :)

15. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

It isn't a rumor Ruby. Since some remarks she or others made at the Golden Globe Awards, I have been hearing something almost everyday on CBS's Morning News which Oprah's best friend Gayle King Co-Anchors on. I think they are doing test runs to see what the reaction of people will be, and so Oprah can figure out if enough people are interested in her running to make it worthwhile for her.