Our Diy Corner

Discussion in 'Home Improvement' started by Von Jones, Nov 11, 2019.

1. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

Look for title "Encounters of the Raccoon Kind" coming up. Thanks y'all.

2. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Oh yay! Raccoon adventures!! :D:D

3. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

I can't wait!!!! What board will it be in? :)

4. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

I see my and Beth's potty mouths are rubbing off on you. Raccoons do call for colorful language. I learned the language of the raccoon by raising one and also from being attacked by one. It is in the frequency of the chur. Raccoons are known for cursing at humans if you attempt to confront them. :eek:

Beth Gallagher and Krystal Shay like this.
  5. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

The Science and Nature board.

Beth Gallagher and Faye Fox like this.
  6. Silvia Benoit

Silvia Benoit Veteran Member
    Registered

My next "day-project" is a fireplace front

Faye Fox and Bobby Cole like this.
  7. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

If you wear safety goggles for your DIY projects…read this!!

Now, with all the projects I have going I admit that I do not wear safety goggles as often as I should and even when I know I should.
    I do have a couple of pair but they’re pretty beat up and because of my latest event with an eye surgeon, I figured I should get a nice clean set of goggles to wear especially during the time it takes for my eyes to heal up so I went looking on Amazon.
    Of note is that I was ready to spend another 30 or so beans to get a good pair and then I ran into this deal.

10 pairs of lab quality goggles for $17 + tax. At first I thought, nah, there ain’t no way those can be any good but then again, even if one single pair lasts the rest of the month, I will have saved money and will have another 9 pairs of throw-away goggles.

Uh…..I got the box of 10 today and they are NOT throw-away goggles!! I’ve had some that cost me anywhere from $20 to $45 each but these beat out every pair I’ve ever bought.
    The only thing wrong with them is that the band doesn’t have an adjustment but they fit my 71/2’ head so I’m more than satisfied.

228515E3-6972-46C2-A1A8-5539EE5A39D2.jpeg

8. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

I have to wear my regular prism lens glasses. If I put goggles, even very clear ones, over them they don't work right.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  9. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

My childhood friend lost his eye working with concrete, the nail flew up and hit him, He'd just back from Veit Nam was working on his driveway. He has a glass eye, safety glasses are important.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  10. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

That’s too bad Faye because even though I do not particularly like goggles, I can now imagine myself using them a lot more in my shop and also outdoor projects now that I’m gonna have new store bought eyes.

Faye Fox likes this.
  11. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

I have had many instances of cut nails whizzing past my head whilst attempting to nail something into concrete. If they aren’t hit exactly right they will snap and wherever they go they’re going fast and hard.
    Unlike your friend, thus far I’ve only been lucky that I haven’t been placed in his same position.

Marie Mallery likes this.
  12. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

Good thing they missed you, he had just got, he was in the Air Force, his was in that compartment under the plane, think he was a tail gunner?
    Nail guns can be dangerous too. The older I get the more careful.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  13. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I've been to the eye doctor twice with work-related injuries to my eyes. Fortunately, neither of them were too serious (even that little fleck of hot metal that seared to my eyeball.)

For those who are interested, here is the link: LINK One comment said that they fit over eyeglasses fine, although she reported fogging issues.

I've been buying the 3M N95 masks on Amazon in 10 pak quantities for $16.50 ($1.65 each.)

[​IMG]

Lowes sells the 10 paks for $25 ($2.50 each), and the 2 paks for close to $9 ($4.50 each.) Even though they say "N95, these are not for viruses. When I cut my grass, the volume of particulates has started to bother me. The valve these masks have make it easier to breath that a standard drywall mask.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2023
    Von Jones and Bobby Cole like this.
  14. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I've had a couple of doctor visits due to stuff in my eyes. Even a hammer glancing off of a nail head can send sparks flying. I don't do anything like that without safety glasses.

Von Jones and Bobby Cole like this.
  15. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

Yeah, I read the reviews and under some circumstances, even glasses fog up so I didn’t pay much attention to that complaint.
    I mean, everyone who wears glasses knows that going from one extreme temp to another or wearing the bridge of the glasses over the nose of a mask will make them fog up.
    Alas, I wore the goggles most of the afternoon whilst rebuilding the railing on the ramp and doing some spray painting and did so without a hitch.

Question:
    How are the N95’s with odors? I’d like to get away from my whole face mask but the charcoal filters keep a lot of bad smells I run up on whilst going under a house. Ya know, dead rats, opossums and stuff like that…

John Brunner likes this.