Our Diy Corner

Discussion in 'Home Improvement' started by Von Jones, Nov 11, 2019.

1. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Supreme Member
    Registered

It looks great, Von.

Von Jones likes this.
  2. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

It looks perfect, Von. When I bemoan what a challenge my older houses have been, I think of the brand new homes I've been in, and the poor quality construction I've seen...and they charge a premium price.

Von Jones likes this.
  3. Caitlin D Burnside

Caitlin D Burnside Well-Known Member
    Registered

Please! Feel free to add your DIY tips and tricks and contribute to update our indoor/outdoor home spaces to enhance, decorate, help with mobility in our Golden Years... Thanks for participation.

I'll begin with one major thing I had to do in our OAP Pad to improve and reduce the risks of allergies and asthma.

Curtains! OMG, our last semi-detached had a heating system fault which means that the heating number on the thermostat didn't match nor delivered the heating required in our home. Therefore, we suffered a large amount of black dry/wet mold nearly everywhere. Top to bottom... It was very unpleasant, caused colds, flus and allergies of all kinds.

So bad indeed that we had to get rid of all the cotton blends and other materials for our curtains. As they were over a decade old and bought mostly in charity shops, we tried washing but to no avail. They had to be replaced.

The best material to use and (online in particular) comes in an array of colours (from solids to full 3D prints), sizes and more. It's Shower Curtains in Polyester...

As an example, our old home had a fireplace, the new one doesn't (we got, recently, a heater stove with artificial coals and flames, it's been fantastic and luckily, no power outages lol). Therefore, with these...

Bathroom/Shower Curtains in polyester, mould resistant and waterproof, in a brick/back of fireplace with soot pattern (4 for £9.99 each) (Yes, we happen to have huge inconvenient sized windows) to create an amusing wall feature.

Here's the pattern I'd chosen for living room.

Attached Files:

4. Jake Smith

Jake Smith Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Replaced the ramp on the front porch, the screens, and three new doors. So we could sit outside without insects getting to us.

user.JPG

Last edited: Mar 8, 2024
  5. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

So many upgrades in garden, greenhouse, forest, and yard.
    Personally, I can honestly say I've saved dozens or more old trees from the invasive vines over the past 3 decades we've lived here. And still doing so today.
    I've cut walking trails thru the forest with machete Jake made from a automobile leaf spring he tempered at work, then 15 yr ago moved up to loppers.
    I used to bake all our pastry's and meals.
    We still do lots of home canning.

Mary Stetler and Jake Smith like this.
  6. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

That is great! I've been surprised about how lovely some of those shower curtains are today. Even for the shower!!!:D
    I have a Tuscan village that I can place on a wall like a mural. I also have a fall woodsy scene for an alternative.

Jake Smith likes this.