Our Younger Generation Can't Write Anymore!

Discussion in 'Education & Learning' started by Yvonne Smith, Jan 31, 2015.

1. John Donovan

John Donovan Veteran Member
    Registered

I disagree, as the school system in Romania still teaches cursive writing, and quite thoroughly, for that. I also think that if the school doesn't teach them, the parents can take responsibility, and teach their child cursive writing, especially as it's a very important skill.

2. Sheryll Green

Sheryll Green Veteran Member
    Registered

I agree with your post Yvonne. The state of of current generation and the basic things they don't know how to do is rather sad. Ask them to do something with a computer or phone and "Shazam" it's a done deal but ask them to read a document and sign and what you'll get is unknown. I worked in a testing center at a community college and I actually had to teach a few students how to fill out a return envelope for their test scores to be mailed to them. I used to think "am I really on a college campus"? If they aren't on a phone or a computer these kids seem to be lost. It is really sad and perhaps it speaks to the state of nation.

3. Richard Paradon

Richard Paradon Supreme Member
    Registered

It will be interesting to see how the non-writers will be able to get a passport. And if they do know how to write their name good luck on doing any business, even a bank transfer without a basic knowledge. It may be no body left behind in the school, but not in the real world!

4. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

In addition to the things mentioned above, I've noticed that many younger people these days appear to be unfamiliar with the written word, and, since they're used to having heard but not seen words, they use incorrect ones. Not too long ago, I saw someone post 'little own', in place of 'let alone', which confused me, until I finally figured it out.

5. Molly Fenster

Molly Fenster Veteran Member
    Registered

And it's getting worse by the minute. Just think about it, what if the next generations can't talk at all? There's definitely some food for thought.

6. Hannah Davis

Hannah Davis Veteran Member
    Registered

Well, its nice to know I am no alone in this regard. But then this is the curse of those of us who are left handed. Cursive writing wasn't designed for those who are left handed that's obvious. All thorough grade school I had teachers thrash me for having horrible cursive writing, yet I couldn't help it because I was left handed, no matter how hard I tried to improve it I couldn't. Eventually I was allowed ot print my reports if I didn't type them. I hated learning to do cursive writing but it did have a purpose. After all, I do know how to sign my name.

I realize that this is the age of technology and kids are learning how to print then how to type. But I still think they should at least learn how to do write their name in cursive writing. This is something that we are required to do in life give our signanture. Cursive writing may have more ore less become obsolete but the signature hasn't.

Tom Locke likes this.
  7. Tom Locke

Tom Locke Veteran Member
    Registered

I am left-handed and it's safe to say that I am not the neatest writer in the world. My father (born in 1911) was left-handed and he was forced to write with his right hand, something that we, at least, are spared these days.

I know only one person that I could describe as a neat left-handed writer. Not just neat handwriting, but beautifully stylish and ornate with it. I'm not sure how he does it, especially since he often uses a fountain pen. If that was me, there'd be ink all over the place.

One thing that us lefties can console ourselves with is that we are usually much more adept at doing things with our right hands that right-handers are with their left!

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  8. Ina I. Wonder

Ina I. Wonder Supreme Member
    Registered

Hannah,
    I too morn the loss of cursive writing, although mine is atrocious. As a child, I spent hours each day trying to develope just a readable cursive handwritng, but that just wasn't to be. So I wasn't surprised when the teacher kept tell me that she couldn't even tell if I knew how to write.

When I was 18, I took a shorthand course at our local county library. After about a third of the way through the course, I was totally failing. Just about the times I came to the conclusion that dropping out would be better than carrying an F on my record, the teacher quit.

I went to the new teacher to explain that I was going to drop the course, and as a good teacher will, she asked me why. After explaining my problem, the new teacher reminded me that we hadn't even gotten to transcribing shorthand yet. She said she graded the course by how accurately each student could replicate the speaker's spoken words, and how well we could gramatically transcribe it word for word.

I ended the course with an A.

Richard Paradon and Yvonne Smith like this.
  9. Tom Locke

Tom Locke Veteran Member
    Registered

I was given something of a surprise yesterday on two counts. Firstly, I received a telephone call from a journalist on a local paper, who wanted to interview me about a book I've just had published. My second surprise - I'm not sure quite why I felt surprised - was that when she turned up, she wrote the notes of the interview in shorthand. I suppose that seemed such an old-fashioned art form.

Richard Paradon likes this.
  10. Richard Paradon

Registered

I was not aware that people even used shorthand any more. Last year I transcribed an entire book for one of my clients from mp3's. Out of curiosity I went to wiki and found an interesting article on it. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shorthand

Ina I. Wonder and Tom Locke like this.
  11. Tom Locke

Tom Locke Veteran Member
    Registered

I didn't look closely at the notes she was taking, but there were lots of squiggles and I would guess that it was probably Pitman. I suppose one advantage for a journalist is that the interviewee is unlikely to notice if he or she writes, "This fellow is a prize idiot".

12. Richard Paradon

Registered

May I ask about the book? LOL, guess I don't have to ask permission as I just did (coffee time)!

Tom Locke likes this.
  13. Tom Locke

Tom Locke Veteran Member
    Registered

It's about my experiences working as a VSO (Voluntary Service Overseas) volunteer in Eritrea. I was there for two years and had kept a diary every day, so I thought I should put my notes to good use!

14. Ina I. Wonder

Ina I. Wonder Supreme Member
    Registered

Tom, great job. I admire you for your contribution to the literary world. I'm told that I should write a book, but I don't have the right organazation skills. And then there is the point that I feel that a book should contribute to society. I'm not too sure my story would.

Until Feburary 2014, I read at least 7 to 10 hours a day. My son and I would take a set of books, read them, and then discuss the ins and outs of each story. Now it just isn't the same, but I do keep trying. It just seems as if I already know the stories before I finish the second or third chapter, so I'll quit reading that book. I haven't finished more than three books since.

Diane Lane and Tom Locke like this.
  15. Tom Locke

Tom Locke Veteran Member
    Registered

Thanks...I'll leave others to judge the literary merits (or otherwise) of my book, but I have to say that I enjoyed writing it. In a sense, it was already done, as I had the diaries to refer to. It was a case of putting everything into a sensible and logical order (and cutting out a few of the libellous things I'd said about people).