Outdated Ba Degree And Age Going To Hurt Wife?

Discussion in 'Senior Employment' started by Cody Fousnaugh, Sep 2, 2015.

1. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Most of the jobs that I have had were ones that I was referred to or recruited, and when I have had to complete a job application it has been after the fact. The best paying job I have had has been with the paper company, but I first went to work with them through a temporary agency. They bought my contract out so I never had to turn in a resume or complete a job application. From there, I was recruited by another paper company in Brownsville.

I did apply for my first full-time EMS job, which was as the EMS director and health inspector, but the mayor (who was a friend of mine) had tipped me off that I was going to be hired even before I was interviewed. I had already been volunteering with the ambulance service and fire department there. That was a fun interview, but I'll relate that story when I get around to adding that job to a thread in Jobs I Have Had.

I did submit an application and resume when I applied for the position as program chairman for a Texas State Technical College program, as well as go through an interview.

Otherwise, there have been a couple of jobs that I've had where I had to fill out an application months after I was hired, so that they could have one on file, but I don't have much experience in finding work that way.

2. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

When she home yesterday, she told me that her supervisor and the Dept. VP called her into the supervisor's office to tell her that the 30th of next month (Oct) would be her last day and that she would be getting a Severance Package. They told her that her position is being eliminated. Later she also found out that another lady that works in the Department got the same notice and she is 62 yrs. old.

Originally, my wife wasn't going to get a Severance Package due to being told she could be let go. That has now changed since her position is being eliminated and she isn't being fired.

One good part of this is that she will still get her week off of vacation the first week of October.

We are happy that we finally know what's going to happen now. She is now redoing her resume and will be looking for another job........full-time or Temp.

3. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Now, due to part of her Severance Package, she is going to be receiving some Resume help from the bank she works for. Apparently her Supervisor and the Dept. VP are confident that she is going to sign the Release Form, which entitles her to the Severance Package, that she is being offered this assistance before even signing the Form. Now, it's in her Release Form that if she starts a new job before her last day next month, she will not get the Severance Package. So, obviously she wants to "stick it out" thru the day she is release so she can get that Package. Also, if she was to apply for, and get, a job with the same bank........no Severance Package given then either. So, she won't be working for this bank again.

Actually, I'm very glad she will be getting this help with her resume. To me, her resume is a little too intense and it sort of looks like she is looking for a job as a Manager, which she definitely doesn't want. Her and I have discussed it and she isn't "management" material at all. She was a manager one time and the job didn't work out.

4. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Well, she's getting this employment help from the bank thru her Severance Package, BUT they sure are asking her some weird stuff. The "employment coach" did make her resume look much better than it did, but now he wants to know her "networking sources". In other words, people's names that she knows, who might know of any openings anywhere. Thing is, she really doesn't know anyone like this. She is on website, LinkedIn, but that website has never helped her find a job. She plans on telling the "employment coach" that her "networking sources" are confidential. I agree with her. Kiddingly, I told her "tell that "employment coach", "If I don't find a job after this help from you (organizing my resume'), you will be the first one to know about it".

He's also telling her about having multiple resume's. That so she can emphasis on one resume', the type of job she is applying for. One problem with having multiple resume's...........giving the wrong resume' for what you're applying for. It would be sort of embarrassing, during an interview, to asked "just what job are you applying for here? This resume doesn't match the job you are applying for. Did you know that?"
    Yep, totally embarrassing!

Have to see what happens.

5. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Well, wife was out of job for exactly 30 days........started a new one today with a major insurance company, making a higher salary than she did with the last bank mortgaging job. Same distance to new job (7 miles) as was to bank job, but does have to drive on the freeway for 5 miles. The freeway drive is good, because she will be going south while heavy traffic is going north.

The online app she filled out did ask for her Social Security number and her birth date. She had to put her SS number, because the app process wouldn't let her go any further without it. As far as her birth date went, she only put the month and day, but, after getting the "job offer", the corporate office did call her and ask for the year that she left off of the online app. And, believe it or not, the university she got her BA degree from, had no record of her in their system. She had to make a copy of her Degree, that was in a frame on the wall, and e-mail it to the corporate office.

Now, the funny part of this is, she takes her lunch to work. Most office workers don't take their lunch to work.......they generally leave the office for lunch or order take-out.

We hope this job works out for her, but won't know for awhile. If it doesn't........she doesn't like it or she doesn't pass the Probation period, she will go temp and we will most likely prepare to move back to Colorado/south Denver. If she does get thru the Probation Period, she will only stay for a year and a half and then we will head back to Colorado in May of 2017.