Philosophical Questions

Discussion in 'Philosophy & Psychology' started by Ken Anderson, Jun 5, 2016.

1. Martin Alonzo

Martin Alonzo Supreme Member
    Registered

As the original thread was about a snake. Here in the D.R. there is two types of snakes neither poisonous. I usually leave them along but the population here has a real phobia about them. My work shop I find 4/5 foot long snake skins quite often. Seeing on on the road at a distance I would avoid it but up close I would run over it not to mean it harm but I am on a motorcycle and a quick turn on a gravel road is not a good idea.

2. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

The first question was about a snake, but the thread always intended for there to be other questions, on topics unrelated to snakes. But the snake question was one of them, yes.

Lois Winters likes this.
  3. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

4. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I was uh, told right here on this very forum that my want for all the knowledge I can attain even to the point of having epignosis (it’s impossible but it means full knowledge) is self arrogance or something to that degree.
    Since my answer would have driven the real subject further off topic, my answer here is that he is not considering the fact that I enjoy the journey much more than actually reaching the goal.

Now the question. Which is more satisfactory to you: The journey to the goal or reaching the goal? Or, does it kind of depend on what that goal is?
    And the bonus question: Do you sometimes set unreachable goals?

Nancy Hart likes this.
  5. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

Almost always it's the journey, not the goal. I never set unreachable goals. If anything I probably err on the side of setting the bar too low.

6. Thomas Stearn

Thomas Stearn Veteran Member
    Registered

It would definitely depend on the goal. If the journey is life and the goal is death, why should I consider death more satisfactory? Thinking about it, in most cases I prefer the journey anyway although some people wanted to talk me into striving for goals. I hardly set goals myself let alone unreachable ones. They were set for me to reach but, basically, I've been stumbling through life trying, as Kierkegaard said, to live it forwards and understand it backwards, hopefully and at least partly, I'd add.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2020
  7. Ed Wilson

Ed Wilson Veteran Member
    Registered

Achieving the goal is more satisfactory. Getting a touchdown in football beats just running back and forth on the field. It kind of reminds me about the difference between American football and soccer. (Sorry soccer fans.)

Bobby Cole likes this.
  8. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

I don't set goals. I try to change things that will offer me a better way of something down the road.
    At this stage of life my only Goal is to live best as possible while I am still here.
    The future continues only if your breathing. I take deep breathe:)

9. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

LOL. Funny comparison but to be a little serious, I really like the premise because it sets up several trains of thought.

The first thing that came to me (per example) is that a touchdown [or goal] being the most important thing might enforce the attitude of “the goal by any means” plan of action.
    Whether true or not, one cannot even go forth playing the game if they aren’t mentally and physically prepared, have knowledge of the rudiments of the game, and have some mastery of whatever techniques that are called for, e.g. throwing the ball, blocking, running techniques etc.
    Note: It’s certainly important if a quarterback throws for a touchdown, but his stats stress the number of completed passes whether or not a touchdown occurs.

And then, another thought cane to me of those who receive awards for just being on the ball field. Certainly that would be achieving a goal but it leaves out the need to learn.

And yet another of many other thought processes of achieving the goal being most important are the teachings of Paul, the apostle, when he gave the example of “running the good race” and “keeping one’s eyes on the goal”. The goal that is to be achieved is dependent upon how one runs the race.

Just some thoughts........

10. Lois Winters

Lois Winters Veteran Member
    Registered

I cannot remember for the life of me of ever having set a goal. I felt that if I did so I would be setting myself up for a fail as I'm certain any goal I'd eye would be unattainable for me. I'd see it as a challenge which would ultimately frustrate me in the end and I could not bear the outcome. So, I've always taken what interested me at the time, would go for it and when I reached it, became bored and looked in another direction. It has made for an interesting life, no races other than to survive have I really run. Have I done it well? Only my Creator knows for sure.

11. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

I do not think there are many ladies (like yourself) who know what a young, fumble footed, red faced, word stuttering lad feels like just before wanting to ask Sally Lou if she might go to a dance with him.
    Such failures to ask, rejections upon asking or acceptance upon begging have set the tone of many a man’s attitude toward setting goals and / or following through on a project. :)

12. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Maybe that's part of what's lacking in today's youth. They run in packs and don't risk rejection. :D

Lois Winters and Bobby Cole like this.
  13. Thomas Stearn

Thomas Stearn Veteran Member
    Registered

Not so sure about this. I'm glad that Bobby said many a man's because I'm not one of them. Girls and women were no "goals" to be achieved. Love just happens. We were discussing the trauma of being rejected by a woman earlier on here on SOC and I remember Holly saying that being rejected were kind of character building. I didn't agree then and I don't agree now.
    As for the packs, those lads can only postpone that embarrassing moment for a while by running in them. The moment of decision will finally arrive, though, and then every lad will be alone.

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  14. Lois Winters

Lois Winters Veteran Member
    Registered

My one brother was very shy around girls as a teenager and married the first one who chased him. Not so sure it was the happiest of unions but they were together until he died.

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  15. Martin Alonzo

Martin Alonzo Supreme Member
    Registered

I remember when taking a course in a master degree in NLP. One of the teachers ask me what is your goal in taking Master practitioner of NLP my answer was to help people to not make the mistakes I made in life and tell them what to do. His reply rocked me to this day. He said who you think you are to depriving someone from learning as well as you. I step back and had to think of what he just said after that I changed my way of doing therapy to giving them the tools and let them find their own way.