Places I WANT to Live

Discussion in 'Places I Have Lived' started by Mal Campbell, Mar 31, 2015.

1. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

Southern Ireland for me - definitely .......... and maybe a little villa in Italy :p YUM !

2. If you're familiar with that old John Denver song about going home to a place you'd never been before- kinda like that.
    When I was still in high school, my parents and I went to California to visit my brother and grandmother. At my first sight of Los Angeles, I've never wanted to be anywhere else.
    I liked coastal cities, desert, valley, but consider it my 'adopted home.'
    But for a number of reasons, I don't know if I'll ever get back there.

Yup, I like 'bright lights, big city,' large populations, and noise!! :)

Ike Willis likes this.
  3. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

Wherever this place is...that's where I want to live out the rest of my life. :)

13339659_784896548276860_1184717664103202004_n.jpg

4. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

@Babs Hunt - don't blame you - magical isn't it :)

Babs Hunt likes this.
  5. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

That looks lovely @Babs, and doesn't look as if it would be a ton of work to maintain, either. I like the idea of stumbling out to the dock with a cup of coffee and a fishing pole, with no nosy and/or loud neighbors. It looks very peaceful, and tranquility is what I crave.

Babs Hunt likes this.
  6. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

That's my thoughts exactly! :D It would get noisy when all our grandkids come...but those times are just as important as the peaceful times to this Gran Gran!

Diane Lane likes this.
  7. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

Yes, noise is definitely expected when having company, but otherwise, quiet is nice. For some reason, this neighborhood seems to be a particularly noisy one, although that didn't used to be the case. It seems newcomers have changed the place, and many aren't happy. They moved here to get away from such things, and may end up moving again. Thankfully, during the week it is somewhat quieter, so I just occupy myself with other things on the weekends, when engines are revving and tires squealing.

8. K E Gordon

K E Gordon Veteran Member
    Registered

That is a really neat pic Babs Hunt. As a funny story, there was a log cabin on my street, It was actually a manufactured home in a log cabin style. It was fairly large, about 2,000 square feet I would guesstimate. I saw them moving the parts down when it was being delivered. It took about 3 days I guess. Anyway, I walked down that way last week, and that whole house is gone!!! They obviously, moved it out and transported it somewhere else. I guess I was asleep at the switch when they did that, or was gone on a visit somewhere.

9. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

In a town of one or two thousand, or even smaller, as I prefer, you generally do get to know many of the people in town. In fact, you get to know a lot about them, and you'd be surprised how much they get to know about you. Sometimes that can be uncomfortable but, overall, I prefer it to what I have had in some places I have lived, where I didn't even know the names of the people who lived on either side of me.

When we were raising our nephew, whenever he did something wrong we'd usually learn of it before he got home. If someone in town saw him doing it, we'd get a call. For example, while the mill was running, the mill controlled the flow of water to Millinocket Stream, which runs through town. Because the water level could increase rapid when they opened the dams, parents didn't want their children to swim in Millinocket Stream. Kids, of course, preferred it to the community pool, where they'd be supervised.

Repeatedly, we'd get calls from someone telling us that our nephew was swimming in the stream, and we'd learn who he was swimming with. Then when he got home, we'd ask him where he was. He'd say the community pool, and I might tell him that it smelled more like he'd been swimming in the stream. Then, when I could tell him which part of the stream he was swimming in and name the people he was with, he'd have no idea how I could know so much about what he was doing.

So yeah, you get to know the people around you. My wife is a whole lot more sociable than I am, but I will generally recognize someone from Millinocket if I come across them in a store in Bangor or somewhere, even if I don't know their name.

You have to be careful about talking bad about someone because they person you're talking to might be related to them, or of driving rudely because you'll run into whoever else might be on the road in the store or somewhere.