Present Place Lived

Discussion in 'Places I Have Lived' started by Frank Sanoica, Jul 24, 2018.

1. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Veteran Member
    Registered

My wife just called out from the living room, after I just returned from the store, current temperature is 120
    degrees F!

I felt it too, having parked in a far corner of the lot. Protective of my old (24 years) pet:

[​IMG]
    Frank

2. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Nice car! It is a shame to leave it out in the blazing sun. Do you not have a carport?

Bobby Cole and Frank Sanoica like this.
  3. Frank Sanoica

Registered

@Don Alaska
    Good point! The pic was taken on the day I brought it home. I keep it in the garage, the paint is original, no sign of clearcoat deterioration, which is seen often in the desert even on cars only a few years old. Bought it 14 months ago, $2200, a steal, I thought (not my wife, though!). 5.0L High-Output overhead valve engine, it's a '94, the 5.0 was discontinued after 1995. Car has 5-speed manual, 161,000 on the clock when I got it, burns no oil, runs like a top! We are both quite familiar with 5-OH Mustangs, having bought a used '89 in 1993, a '90 in 1994, and a bruised '93 Cobra in 1995 which I repaired, bought on condition it would be her car for driving to work! She became the talk of the office! The Cobra was sold to my Nephew; it is up on stands in KS, awaiting it's owner's return from Japan.
    Frank

4. Hoot Crawford

Hoot Crawford Well-Known Member
    Registered

I'm in the West Valley area of Phoenix. I've seen 120F several days on my patio, but don't think the official temp ever got that hot. If the heat starts to bother me, I just look at some pictures I took back in Ohio when we had a massive winter storm and about 2 foot of snow. Always makes me feel better

5. Frank Sanoica

Registered

@Hoot Crawford
    I wonder if the super-storm we got in late January, 1967 in Chicago, extended it's reach clear over into Ohio? My folks lived then in southern Michigan, got 30+ inches, we got 27"; our street in suburban Chicago was unplowed for 2 weeks!
    Frank

Bobby Cole likes this.
  6. Hoot Crawford

Registered

I don't remember a 1967 storm in Central Ohio. The one I have pictures of was a Saturday in January 2008. After the third pass with the snow blower to clean the driveway, I had this conversation with my wife:

Me: Dear, please call Delta
    Her: Okay, where we going?
    Me: Florida.
    Her: Okay. Why are we going?
    Me: We're gonna buy a house.
    Her: Okay!

10 days later we were in Florida a bought a house.

7. Martin Alonzo

Martin Alonzo Veteran Member
    Registered

I am very luck the temperature change here for a whole year is about 30 degrees from mid 60 to mid 90 and when the temperature changes 10 degrees here the people put on a jacket and complain about the cold. Glad I live here but could stand a storm we are quite dry.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  8. Hoot Crawford

Registered

9. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Veteran Member
    Registered

It's been downgraded but still scary!

Why did you leave Paradise @Hoot Crawford?

I know it's humid and AZ is dry but still....

10. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Maybe Magnum stole his girlfriend....:)

11. Frank Sanoica

Registered

I copied this piece of information regarding the Sonoran Desert (which covers100,000 sq. miles). Having lived in the Desert now a total of nearly 30 years, my wife and I still marvel at the ability of animals and plants to subsist here despite rigorously difficult conditions. The Desert is a Harsh Master.

"The Sonoran Desert includes 60 mammal species, 350 bird species, 20 amphibian species, over 100 reptile species, 30 native fish species, over 1000 native bee species, and more than 2,000 native plant species.[5] The Sonoran Desert area southeast of Tucson and near the Mexican border is vital habitat for the only population of jaguars living within the United States. The Colorado River Delta was once an ecological hotspot within the Sonoran desert, fueled by the flow of fresh water through the Colorado river in this otherwise dry area, but the delta has been greatly reduced in extent due to the damming and use of the river upstream."

Bill Boggs and Martin Alonzo like this.
  12. Hoot Crawford

Registered

Mainly because of the issues with health care on the Island. My wife, who passed away while we lived there, was able to get the care she needed (oncology clinic in Hilo) but not all services were available. And those that were available might be a little too far away. For example, we had to make a 90 minute drive each way every week to that clinic. Nearest drug store was 20 miles from the house, etc. Here in Geezer Nation, all medical services are close by. I must say I do miss the Island, but I felt I needed to get back to civilization.

Chrissy Cross and Frank Sanoica like this.
  13. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Veteran Member
    Registered

14. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Veteran Member
    Registered

Nice car Frank

15. Vinny Waccio

Vinny Waccio Active Member
    Registered

We moved to Florida 9 years ago and love it. Would not recommend it to younger folk who will spend a lot of time outdoors or need a good paying job. It is only 87 today because we are getting a lot of rain this week. Normally I tis 97 with a heat index of 101. The heat is not as much a problem as is the humidity so thick you can cut it with a knife.

We have good air conditioning as does every place we go to so we are only out in the sun when we walk from our car to a building. Plus I am retired so do not have to work 2-3 jobs like most people here do.

Frank Sanoica likes this.