Producing A Movie

Discussion in 'Senior Employment' started by Corie Henson, Oct 1, 2016.

1. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

I am posting this thread because I have read in the newspaper yesterday that the so called indie movies are now very easy to produce and somewhat profitable. For the small producers, a capital of 500k pesos can easily earn that back with the cable and tv rights which can reach 750k pesos. Maybe that is the reason why some small time producers continue to make movies for the simple reason that they are assured of profits. And a bonus is when the movie wins an award.

Just food for thought.

2. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

Yes the movie industry and record industry, changed so much hasn't it, simply because people are doing the
    work themselves rather than relying on others
    Not a bad thing unless what they produce is bad (and I don't mean good) :p
    Does 'bad' still mean 'good' in todays language ? :D

3. K E Gordon

K E Gordon Veteran Member
    Registered

Yes, @Corie Henson but don't forget the outlay in all of the camera, video equipment you need to have when you are making a movie. I would imagine your equipment needs to be of a certain caliber when making a movie, and the costs of photography equipment doesn't come cheap. I think people need to take all of the possibilities into consideration when they are thinking of doing something like making a movie. It can be costly!

Patsy Faye and Corie Henson like this.
  4. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

Over here, the rental of equipment for making a movie is quite expensive. One rental company we know charges $1,000 per day for a complete equipment from camera, lights and rigs plus attendants but excluding the cameraman or cinematographer. One indie movie director we know uses only the DSLR camera which is small and handy but with a good resolution. However, from the point of view of actors, the DSLR is just like a toy and actors want the big expensive cameras. Talk of idiosyncrasy. Anyway, we have some friends who are planning to make a movie and one of them is my husband's cousin. Our advice? It's better to keep your money in the bank.

5. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Years ago, in the late 1970s, I was involved in a cable television community access channel. Actually, although it was called a channel, we had three channels on the cable service that covered Anaheim and other parts of Orange County, California. The public access channel was sponsored by one of the local network television stations, which provided three of their cameras for use by people doing community access programs. That was when television cameras were very large, and had to be held on your shoulders, if mobile, or otherwise on a tripod system.

Anyone signed up with the public access channel could check out one of the cameras simply by completing a 16-hour course in the use of the camera. The station also made someone available to teach people how to edit film, add captions, and other tricks of the trade. Anyone who completed at least the 16-hour course could check out a camera, so people were doing all kinds of programming, from filming Little League games or church productions to making movies and music videos.

In order to have your movie shown on one of the public access channels, it was also a simple matter of finding an open programming space and claiming it. We had a few regular shows that had the same spot each week, but it was otherwise first-come, first-served, the only caveat being that it had to have some public interest. In other words, home movies of your son's birthday party probably wouldn't work unless his party was especially entertaining for some reason. Mostly, the spaces were filled and any that weren't were filled in by rerunning some of the more popular productions.

Here in Millinocket, I was going to get involved in our public access channel, which is only one channel, but I found it to be ridiculous. Everything was political. Religious programming could only be aired on Sundays. Nothing political could be aired unless there was a corresponding program from the other side, and it wasn't enough that the other side was offered the same opportunity. Even things that weren't intended to be political were made political in some way. Then they insisted on hiring someone to act as the production manager and whoever they hired would act as if it were his own private business, and one of them even used the public access channel's only camera and equipment to conduct his own private business. It was nuts and getting nuttier, so I dropped out of that. Now they have long periods of time in which there is nothing on the air, and they can't even find anyone to film town council meetings.

Diane Lane likes this.
  6. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

You should have made a show about your cats....

Ken's Katz....or Komposting with Ken....Ken Kicks Kancer...that could have been abbreviated to simply KKK. :)

All catchy titles!

@Corie Henson , it's the high price actors ask for here that makes a movie so expensive to make, no?

Diane Lane likes this.
  7. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Oh yeah, that would be a hit. The KKK Show.

Diane Lane and Chrissy Cross like this.
  8. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

9. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

You could become a big hit by saying the KKK Show endorses Donald Trump, and get national (and maybe even international) recognition. Imagine all of the people tuning in so they could point out what a racist you were, thinking of course that it was related to the actual KKK, and then maybe some would stay tuned for the high quality programming!

Chrissy Cross likes this.