Propagating Cuttings For More Plants

Discussion in 'Crops & Gardens' started by Yvonne Smith, Apr 22, 2021.

1. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

That was what I thought. It is not illegal to have a patented rose in your yard, so someone would have to know that i made it from a cutting, and then it would probably be hard for anyone to prove that I actually knew I was cloning a patented rose, since nothing on the bouquet tells you what the names of the roses are, or any other information.
    I think it will not be an issue, and I will probably never know what roses I have cloned, assuming that they will root and grow.

Don Alaska likes this.
  2. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

I have been doing this for years. Must have built in green thumb, as i just whack them off stick in water until they root up. Some plants you just can not whack and wet though.

Mary Stetler and Yvonne Smith like this.
  3. Yvonne Smith

I have done this, too, Heidi; but not with roses, or at least not with any luck. Things like coleus, tomatoes, basil, all of that stuff root easily in water; but harder stems like roses and blueberries I have not been able to get to root before. I really , really want to do this; so I am giving it another try !
    It is wonderful that you have been able to root roses this way, just by putting them in a glass of water, and that gives me hope that mine might root also. Were your cuttings from roses that you grew, or from ones that you bought at the store or florist shop ?

4. Yvonne Smith

Some of the cuttings that I started a couple weeks ago are now showing new growth ! You can see from this picture that the cuttings were pretty much just bare stems and a few leaves here and there, and some of them have pretty green shoots coming out. This is from a beautiful old-fashioned rose that has been growing in shade along the fence line, and blooms once in the spring.
    Now, I can put in new starts out where it actually gets some sunshine and not buried under the pine trees next door, on the other side of our fence.

43527E5B-9ED3-41A8-B545-20D9A3841179.jpeg 77E5E0D8-DD45-4D79-A9D0-DEB9DC1CE691.jpeg

Beth Gallagher and Don Alaska like this.
  5. Daniel B Cooper

Daniel B Cooper Well-Known Member
    Registered

Anyone that does any gardening knows how expensive the hoby can be. So, as the title says.........skool me.

We have a good Variety to choose from. Most came from a dear friend, a master Gardner that moved. She walked us around her house and told us what to dig up and I think it all lived. My first goal is to try and get enough cuttings from my butterfly bushes to plant along a property line.

I've seen enough of y'alls plants to know who has the emerald thumb

6. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

My mom used to grow a lot of plants from cuttings, but I have never tried it myself and wouldn't even know which plants you can do that with, and which you can't.

7. Daniel B Cooper

Daniel B Cooper Well-Known Member
    Registered

5062B883-F665-4233-AC64-C48120659F1E.jpeg 758BB045-284B-4213-BB06-782461EB2560.jpeg
    Does anyone have an idea what this may be?

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  8. Yvonne Smith

i have an app on my phone called Picture This, and I am able to use it on a photograph as well as on actual plants.
    Your picture is something called American Strawberry bush, a species of euonymus.

10D018BC-147B-4056-B7CA-D943BCE93414.jpeg

Daniel B Cooper and Don Alaska like this.
  9. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Our daughter was here for the past several days; she and her family recently were in Hawaii on vacation. She brought me some Kona coffee and a package of hibiscus cuttings (that look like dead twigs). The directions on the hibiscus cuttings says to plant them in soil and keep moist in indirect light. So I guess I'll see if I can get some hibiscus twigs to grow!

10. Yvonne Smith

I just started some new cuttings this morning. I bought a couple rosemary plants at Lowes, and they had some nice soft tips that i could use for cuttings. Usually my rosemary winters over here in Alabama, but we had that below zero freeze last winter around Christmas, and some of the plants didn’t make it.
    I also took some azalea and blueberry cuttings as well as a couple rose cuttings. Hopefully some of them will make it and grow. I have them in the small humidity domes.

IMG_5147.jpeg

Beth Gallagher and Don Alaska like this.
  11. Yvonne Smith

Trying a new experiment today. I have been watching some videos about grafting roses and other plants. I tried my first experimental grafting today, with the help of Bobby’s assistance.
    I took the start from one of the climbing roses, and am grafting it onto one of the wild multiflora roses that grow like crazy here. If I can get the new rose to graft, then I am going to try doing more and make some nice roses on those wild rose bushes, which only bloom once in the spring and with tiny blossoms. They grow huge long vines if not pruned back, so I should have plenty of places to graft on some of the knockout rises and get more blooms all summer if it works.

12. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Nifty idea @Yvonne Smith!

John Brunner likes this.
  13. Jacob Petersheim

Jacob Petersheim Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I've never used "rooting hormone" or the like. However I did get a few things propagated by making stem cuts and then wrapping potting soil around it covered in two layers of waxed paper. Leaked, but the watering leaks just trickled down the stem to the soil below.

Potting "moss" might be better than a typical potting soil mix.

I think those were simple things though like Devil's Ivy.

14. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

Did the roots penetrate the wax paper?

15. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

It is called Air Layering when you make slices in the stem and wrap in in plastic or waxed paper containing peat moss or the like. It is a great alternative to simple pruning when you have a bush or shrub you particularly like. It works on some house plants as well.

Mary Stetler and Yvonne Smith like this.