Purchased New Apple Macintosh Computer

Discussion in 'Gadgets & Tech Talk' started by Hal Pollner, Jun 16, 2019.

1. Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner Veteran Member
    Registered

Lay off, Shirley!:mad:

2. Hal Pollner

Registered

Yeah...I still have Windows Seven because I LIKE Windows Seven!:p

Harry

Last edited: Jun 17, 2019
    Shirley Martin likes this.
  3. Hal Pollner

Registered

I never went in for that Office stuff...Spreadsheet...Power Point...Office Suite, etc.

I never liked office work and never wanted it on my computer! It's all boring, unnecessary, and uses up memory.

My computer joys are Surfing the Web, E-mailing, Shopping, Watching Movies, Comedy, Historical Documentaries, Science, Listening to Symphonic music from Great Orchestras, and more!
    YouTube also has video instructors that teach the fundamentals of learning a new Musical Instrument!

No office trash please...just gimme YouTube!

Yowsah!
    Hal

Hedi Mitchell and Yvonne Smith like this.
  4. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

My thoughts, exactly, @Hal Pollner ! In our house, Bobby is in charge of all things office-related, he loves that kind of stuff.
    I do similar things to what you do, except I very seldom email anymore, since instant messages are so much easier and faster.
    I belong to about a dozen facebook groups for various interests that I have, so check those out on a regular basis for the interaction of like-minded people.

I don’t watch very many movies, although occasionally I do; but I do watch a lot of documentaries, especially on YouTube, and also like watching the learning tutorials for almost everything that are on YouTube.
    I guess it might be my most favorite place on the internet, if I had to choose only one; but my facebook groups are definitely a very close second, since I learn so much there, too.

I love the convenience of the Apple iPad for all of these things !
    Instead of having to be in a home office with a computer desk and all of the accessories necessary for a desktop computer, I can relax in my favorite chair, put the headphones on, and listen to music, or just read something online.
    Simplicity at its best !

5. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

So, who used a computer for work? I did, starting in 1989 when I was using Basic 4 Accounting software in my electronics stockroom. My wife use to do Accounting in a Ledger Book, but when she started doing it on a computer, she loved it.

I use Excel for spreadsheets of all the maintenance/repairs done on our vehicle and boat from the time we bought each.

Guess it just depends on how "techy" a person is as to how they get along with anything dealing with a computer.

Hedi Mitchell likes this.
  6. Hal Pollner

Registered

HEY BESS:
    Can you get Chromebook with a big monitor, like the 23" one on my DeskTop?

Hal

454.jpg

Bess Barber likes this.
  7. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I liked Windows 7, but Windows * was terrible!. I had * on my laptop when I bought it a few years ago and really hated it. When 10 became available, I downloaded it. It was a remarkable improvement over 8. I got used to it on the laptop, and when I bought a new desktop after the earthquake in November, it was pre-loaded with Windows 10 I don't like 10 as much as 7, but since I used windows products at work, I have never switched. We bought one machine in a place that I worked that was driven by a Mac, and, for that application, it really sucked. It was so difficult to use that we ended up returning the machine as unusable. Years ago--nobody get insulted here please--we used to refer to the Macs as computers for the computer illiterate, as they were "frozen" in place, inflexible, and unadaptable to many environments, such as the application I described. They would do graphics exceptionally well, and I have friends who use them, but, as @Yvonne Smith said, she and most others have switched to iPads. In fact, there is some consideration being given to discontinuing the Mac, as the smaller platforms are more popular and the applications for the Mac are all performed more easily on the other Apple platforms. You would probably be able to make the switch, @Hal Pollner, but be aware that the changes made to the Windows was to make it MORE lie an Apple platform, so many of your issues might trouble you there as well. The fact that Windows 7 will no longer be supported isn't that much to worry about either, since it will still be usable for years; there will just be no updates performed. I think there is also an overlay that will take the Windows 10 back to a Windows 7 look. I think any programs you use, however (Excel, Word, etc.) will have to run in compatibility mode (not sure about that, though).

You might see if a nearby library has an Apple application that you could try. For what you say you do, the Apple platforms would generally be BETTER than the Windows, and @Bess Barber's idea of a Chromebook might be better AND cheaper. Another thing to try that would be cheaper still, although you might need some coaching, would be a Firestick or other streaming service for your TV. If you just want to do minor surfing, watch videos, and listen to music, the Amazon Firestick will do all that and more.

Yvonne Smith and Bobby Cole like this.
  8. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

A Chromebook is basically a laptop with a dedicated Google interface and very little internal storage. It is excellent for what it is. I haven't looked at Chromebook specs in a while, but most laptops can support an external monitor. It would probably depend upon which model of Chromebook you buy so check the specs.

Any upgrade you make is going to have a learning curve, whether you go to an iOS device or stay with Windows. And like Don said, you can still use your Win7 until it dies.

ETA--I found this Chromebook help, which says that an external monitor can be connected. CLICK HERE

Bess Barber likes this.
  9. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Actually, I don't like using a Windows product (Win7) when there are no updates anymore. As for myself, I'm always checking to see if there are updates for my Win10, iTunes or any other software I have on the desktop. Updates always make programs work better...…….at lease that's my experience.

10. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

Make me! :p

11. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

Wow- good info on here. I have a HP computer about 5 years old. Have grown to hate it and Windows 10 . We seldom use it anymore because of our phones.
    I would like to get a laptop but unsure of what type and etc. Hubby is a bit blind so need some thing he could see if needed.
    Open for suggestions. Um wonder if I removed all the office and other crap from computer if it would work better?

Frank Sanoica and Yvonne Smith like this.
  12. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Win10 should be updating automatically. One of my biggest gripes with Win10 is that you can't turn off auto updates.

13. Hal Pollner

Registered

All right...I'll lock up your Sardines and Garlic!

Howell

Don Alaska likes this.
  14. Bess Barber

Bess Barber Veteran Member
    Task Force Registered

Don't think so. 11.5" is as big as the screens get. It has to fit it your lap or it wouldn't be a proper lap top, LOL. Years ago I would've never believed I would be anything but a windows user. After my husband died and I no longer had anyone to keep it all updated for me, I decided to go cheap and simple. It's pretty, fun, easy to use and any app I want I can get free at the Play Store. This is not the right solution for everyone. It all depends on how you use your computer.

15. Hal Pollner

Registered

Stopped at BestBuy today and looked at their Apple offerings!

I kinda like the iMac 21.5" 4k resolution, 8gb memory and 1 TB hard drive.

I also like their iMac 27" 5k resolution, 8gb memory and 1 TB hard drive.

I think I'll by one or the other.

Hal

Bobby Cole and Yvonne Smith like this.