Question For Anyone Who Does Or Does Not Drive

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussions' started by Janice Martin, Jun 16, 2017.

1. Without going into a mess of irrelevant details, I never got around to obtaining a driver's license.
    Took Driver's Ed. in high school, had a couple of 'learner's permits,' but haven't driven since the last one expired. To put it in context: the last time I drove was in 1978.
    Well, I need one now.

Here's where I'm asking your input: the only individuals who have commented on this- both much-younger individuals- insist that there is no reason I can't go to the Department of Motor Vehicles, and take and pass a road test, without any driving practice between now and then. Don't you guys agree with me, that this approach ranges from ridiculous to impossible?

2. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I think that your ability to pass the driving test would depend on how much skill you had in driving originally, @Janice Martin . If all the experience you have is taking driver's ed in high school, then I would say that you definitely need some training before trying to pass a driving test.
    However, if you feel confident that you could drive well enough , then you could at least try taking the test, and even if you do not pass; it would show you where you need help, and how close you are to being able to pass the test.
    I think that I would try and find someone who was willing to coach me with driving for a while first, or at least take another class in drivers training, and then try for the license.

Hedi Mitchell and Chrissy Cross like this.
  3. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

My question is have you driven at all since then? Also, you'll need to study for the written part of the test.

You will pass the driving part if you're confident in your ability to parallel park, etc.

When I took my first test in PA. It was on a course and you had to do a lot of maneuvers. Later in other states they took you on the road.

It's all up to you and how well you drive. If the last time you drove was 1978, maybe a refresher course would be a good idea.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  4. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

I don't know if you could still get another's learner's permit @Janice Martin. If you can this is what I think you should do if you don't think your driving skills are good or up to date. If you get the permit then you will legally be able to drive with a licensed driver with you until you feel ready to apply for the permanent license. That and studying for the driver's test is my opinion on what you have asked.

5. Kitty Carmel

Kitty Carmel Veteran Member
    Registered

I don't see why you couldn't get another learners permit. Do you have someone that can drive with you? Go to a big parking lot on a Sunday morning and feel what it's like to be behind the wheel. What is your access to a car? You may have to start from scratch and I agree you will probably have to take the written test. I had to when I returned to California after being away 9 years.

Both my mother and brother's wife learned to drive in their 30's both being from Europe they didn't drive.

Some will depend on your own confidence behind the wheel. I was a very nervous new driver, much because of my mother berating me.

Call or go into the DMV in your area. You are not the only one getting a license later in life.

6. Gary Ridenour

Gary Ridenour Veteran Member
    Registered

in my time a learner's permit allowed you to drive with a licensed driver only. so I don't know how it it is today. but no reason why Janice can't take the written and driving test. there used to be study guides available to bone up for the written test. I took my driving test in my granddad's station wagon and barley passed.

7. Hugh Dowling

Hugh Dowling Veteran Member
    Registered

But...there is also the ''conditions'' factor to consider. If one hasn`t been actively driving for as long as THAT...CONDITIONS would be vastly different from how they were back when you were last behind the wheel. More people on the roads...for one thing. An overall change in driver attitudes...not for the better, either. More intolerance, and aggression. Far less patience and ''old time'' courtesy. People are in much more of a hurry these days. Then there is the economic aspect to consider. Today`s fuel prices...the cost of the annual registration, AND insurance, compared to how it was thirty, or forty years ago. I`m on a pension. And with that pension, i know only too well that i just couldn`t AFFORD to drive. I wouldn`t want to get all stressed out, either, which is what i would do if i attempted to get behind the wheel again.
    i would rather hop on a bicycle, and go for a spin around a local park...!!

8. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Have to agree with Hugh. But, if you live in a small town/small population, you aren't going to encounter this stuff like living in, or around a big city.

After not being behind the wheel of a vehicle for this many years, you could easily get scared of aggressive drivers and that's something (getting scared) you sure don't want to happen.

9. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

@Janice Martin ...question I have...is why do you find it necessary now? Like suggested think maybe some training on driving would be in order first. Study for the written part then if you psss both tests..your set to go.
    Big city we live in ...not like small town driving. If your in a small town without major highways would be best for beginner.Me and my hubby always avoid the highways when possible.Especially with all the continuous road work.
    Also make sure your eyes and ears work well...and your reflexes are in check...then you should do well:)

10. Gary Ridenour

Gary Ridenour Veteran Member
    Registered

I think this may be in the driving test?? for modern day driving

road rage, yep gotta know how to handle it

:)