Quilting

Discussion in 'Hobbies & Crafts' started by Mal Campbell, Jan 24, 2015.

1. Denise Evans

Denise Evans Supreme Member
    Registered

OMYgosh @Ina I. Wonder you quilt!! This is way neat;) So you figured out those designs on your own!! This is so pretty. Glad to know both you and @Von Jones quilt so I can ask questions, LOL!!

Von Jones likes this.
  2. Ina I. Wonder

Ina I. Wonder Supreme Member
    Registered

Sure @Denise Happyfeet, I do wish I had known that you wanted to quilt. I just got rid of all my books and designs on the subject. But as you have mentioned, YouTube can get you there too.

Here's something you can do now, that most don't think of until they already have there supplies. Start by getting some cheap colored pencils and blank paper, so that you can doodling with designs. Make up your own, but make them very simple, or you'll burn out with the intricacies of working the complex designs.

Happy doodling. :D :p

3. Ina I. Wonder

Ina I. Wonder Supreme Member
    Registered

@Denise Happyfeet , I wish there was an economical way to send you my quilting frame. I've been trying to find someone to give it to. Sigh!!! I'm in the middle of disassembleing it right now. It goes from small to king size.

IMG_4097.JPG

Ken Anderson likes this.
  4. Denise Evans

Denise Evans Supreme Member
    Registered

Oh, you know, I probably wouldn't have room for it anyway @Ina I. Wonder but thank your for the thought;)

I do have colored pencils, and I know that my pattern will be simple, plain squares but I will have a little bit of a design, even with a small project:) My 86 year old friend, just spoke to her again outside, has lots of stuff I can look at as well. But I do know youtube has just about everything for any project. I also have a computer program/app that does sketching. I may just use that, but like you said, I might also get ideas in the middle of the night, and a sketchpad would be very smart;)

Ina I. Wonder likes this.
  5. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

@Denise Happyfeet When my five sisters starting having their babies, (a long time ago) I started making baby quilts for their children. I started out with solid colors with matching gingham fabric. I would do blue and white for the boy babies and pink and white for the girls with a solid border of the blue or pink to finish the quilts off. As I got more confident in my quilt making I would use different prints like calico, etc. and solid colors moving beyond just pink and blue. Later I even moved on to more than just baby quilts and made a quilt bedspread for my teenage stepson and when my teenage daughter could not find the bedspread in the colors she wanted for her bedroom...we found the colors in fabric and I made her quilt spread and curtains along with a few throw pillows for her bed. I used my sewing machine for all these projects as at those times I did not have the time for hand quilting.

Although none of my quilts were of professional quality...everyone I made them for were very pleased with their one of a kind gifts and my "picky" teenagers were satisfied with the ones I made for them too. Since those days I have made a few more quilts and blankets for my grandchildren and it is always nice to see them being used by them. :) For me personally it brought me enjoyment to make them and to see others enjoying my gifts to them.

I hope you enjoy making your quilts Denise, being creative and making things with our own hands brings joy and satisfaction to our souls, as well as pleasure to others.