R.i.p Terry Wogan

Discussion in 'In the News' started by Holly Saunders, Jan 31, 2016.

1. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

Probably unknown to the vast majority of members of this forum, but one of our most famous, well loved and Iconic broadcasters in the UK has died today after a short battle with cancer age 77. It's a shock because no-one knew he was ill, but a blessing that he didn't suffer for long!

Terry Wogan, we've known you all our lives you will be great loss to the entertainment industry , may you R.I.P..

2. Terry Page

Terry Page Supreme Member
    Registered

Yes that was a shock to me as well Holly, as you say he was a national treasure in the field of broadcasting.
    Yet another death of one of my generation's celebrities.
    R.I.P.

3. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

I did not know of sir Terry Wogan,but add my farewell to the pile! R.I.P., Terry!
    [​IMG]

4. Tom Locke

Tom Locke Veteran Member
    Registered

He was a Limerick man, but he gained dual Irish and British citizenship, so he was entitled to use the 'Sir' as a proper title rather than the honorary form used by Bob Geldof and others. He seems to have been a genuinely decent fellow - it was hard to find anyone who had a bad word to say about him, even if they didn't like his shows.

Joe Riley and Holly Saunders like this.
  5. Molly Hazel

Molly Hazel Veteran Member
    Registered

I was shocked to when I heard it on the news this morning,he was a great guy I liked him very much.
    I'm gonna miss him.
    Goodbye Terry.....Rest now.

Holly Saunders and Joe Riley like this.
  6. Tom Locke

Tom Locke Veteran Member
    Registered

Wogan was a great fan (as am I) of the brilliant comic writer Flann O'Brien and had a mischievous sense of humour that was sometimes overlooked. I was reminded of it by one story.

At the time, a number of famous women had a penchant for tee-shirts bearing the name of their husband. Madonna, for example, had a shirt with 'Ritchie' on it. Wogan remarked that he didn't envisage the wife of the BBC Director General following that path.

The DG at that time was Greg Dyke.

Holly Saunders and Ike Willis like this.