Racism

Discussion in 'In the News' started by Chrissy Cross, Aug 13, 2016.

1. Martin Alonzo

Martin Alonzo Supreme Member
    Registered

The American Indians would be called raises because there was no Europeans there so we fixed that we attacked them and put them on reservations that is in store for us with blacks and Muslims

2. Martin Alonzo

Martin Alonzo Supreme Member
    Registered

This whole idea of raises was put out so you don’t bring the minority to the same level or standards of the majority they are different and you cannot criticize them. So if there was a group of 0.2 % of the world’s population who own 95% of all money in the world, had control over all main street news, had politico strangle hold on the biggest government, and own controlling interest in multinational companies. You cannot say anything about them or you are a raises. God help the world

3. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

Regarding the 'controversial' ad about wanting a non-white roommate, I really don't care if they prefer to be with their own kind. I only pointed that out because of how the story would have been treated if the people posting the ad had been white, or maybe even Asian. I think everyone should have the choice of who they want to associate with, but that doesn't mean they can treat others poorly. It would be a different story if it was the only room in town, and without it, the person would be homeless, but it's highly doubtful that would be the case. As Chris mentioned, not everyone wants to live in a diverse area, and that should be their choice.

Sheldon Scott and Chrissy Cross like this.
  4. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Well, after reading online about what the media reported about a traffic stop in Arizona, I must rethink about what I said in a post on this thread. Does seem like the media can state things that are pretty incorrect.

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  5. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Only thing is, there are those that have lived in a diverse area all of their lives and would never give it a thought of living in any other kind of area. And, sometimes call those that do live in a not-so-diverse-area "racist". We should all be able to live where we want!

Back, during the Native American/Indian Wars, there were people and a government agency that tried to protect the Indian's land/buffalo/their traditions. And, there were those that hated the Indians and called those that wanted to help them "Indian lovers". Wow, "racism" was even back then.

Diane Lane and Chrissy Cross like this.
  6. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I see very few blacks here in Fresno and also very few by my daughter's area on the central coast. I do see a lot of Mexicans though.

I'm sure California has a fairly large black population...maybe in the LA area and certain cities like Oakland but for the most part the gangs in my area are Mexican.

Looked at demographics for Fresno to make sure I didn't have a wrong perception of the population here and I don't.

Population By Races
    Race Population % of Total
    Total Population
    494,665 -100%
    White 245,306 - 49 %
    Hispanic or Latino 232,055 -46 %
    Some Other Race 111,984 22
    Asian 62,528 12
    Black or African American 40,960 - 8 %
    Two or More Races 24,513 4
    American Indian 8,525 1
    Three or more races 1,622 Below 1%
    Native Hawaiian Pacific Islander 849 Below 1%
    Native Hawaiian 164 Below 1%

Last edited: Aug 16, 2016
  7. Diane Lane

Registered

@Chrissy Page Well it looks as if there are equal majorities White and Hispanic, so do people pretty much get along? Are the races divided by income, or does it seem as if the incomes are diverse, as well? Other than the inner cities and a few other enclaves, the areas here are pretty diverse. I see a mixture in all of the income brackets, as well.

8. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Good question. I think in Fresno, most of the Mexicans that I see are in agriculture or lawncare or house cleaning.

I live in the better part of the city so I have no idea really what the poorer areas are like but I'm guessing that it's mostly the working Mexicans.

Since I moved when my husband was retired I also don't know anything about incomes. All the homes in my neighborhood in 2003 when I moved here cost anywhere from $250,000 to about $450,000. Most in my neighborhood are white, with a few middle class Mexicans and Asians.

Where my daughter lives, the houses are all above $1,000,000 and there are a few wealthier Mexicans that live there, in fact one family is very good friends with my daughter and SIl and have gone to Vegas together, etc.
    He was poor and worked hard and owns a janitorial business which does very well. Another Mexican friend of theirs is a chiropractor.

My grandson goes to high school with a lot of Mexicans and some are poor but they seem to all get along fairly well.

My lawn care guys are Mexican and I've had them a long time and trust them completely, they work very hard in this heat and don't ask for much...pretty cheap.

When my ex lived here and we worked I had a house cleaner every 2 weeks, Maria and she was the sweetest lady
    And also very trustworthy.

My daughter has Ricardo to clean every week and she's had him for 17 years and trusts him to the point that she leaves the door on the side unlocked for him because nobody is home when he cleans.

Except for the gangs, every Mexican that I've dealt with or known was a hard worker and very nice. I think all the ones one known were here legally.

On out local news, when they show a pic of someone they are looking for it's usually a Mexican. I don't ever go in those areas of Fresno and although there is crime everywhere, around here it's mostly stealing type crimes.

Diane Lane likes this.
  9. Diane Lane

Registered

What I've been noticing is that a lot of the Hispanics involved in the gangs and crime these days tend to the the newer arrivals, mainly from Central and South America. They tend to also be the illegals that are being transported through Mexico to the United States. It seems many of the Mexicans who arrived back in the 80s and 90s have somewhat assimilated into society, and of course there is a large portion of them who always lived here or came years ago and established themselves as hard workers, building businesses while raising families. I don't know if the illegals from Central and South America go through California as well (the large numbers, I mean...I'm sure a few do), or if they primarily come through Texas, New Mexico and Arizona. I don't hear much about the border in New Mexico, for some reason. It seems the stories I see usually cover Texas, Arizona and California, but I assume they come in through New Mexico as well, since it's in between Texas and Arizona.

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  10. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I don't know, I'm sure Fresno would get a lot of illegals because there's a lot of agriculture here and compared to coastal areas is much cheaper for housing. I'm assuming the people that do my yard work are legal. I do pay with check but don't know if that means anything or not. My neighbor hood has these lawncare people in it every day.

I don't think anyone does their own yard work. Very few anyway.

I think you're right about the gangs. Even the poorer Mexicans that are in my grandsons high school
    Aren't in the gangs and they are all here legally. Most are pretty decent kids. The hard working legal
    Mexicans that I see have strong family and work ethics. Most are Catholic and that may play a role
    In Mexican households.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2016
  11. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Where we live, I'd pretty diverse beween Blacks, Whites and a small percentage of Indians. When we moved here in Jan 2009, there were very few families from India here, but that population has risen along with more Blacks and more Whites. I read that Blacks love moving here because of the population of Blacks that are here and the salaries they get here. We do have quite a bit of Black-on-Black crime in certain areas here, but we live in one of the safest areas there is here.

What's sort of weird to me, all but one fast-food chain here has nearly all Blacks working in them. Have never lived around anything like that before. Where we've lived before, it's been all Whites working in these places. But, we do have some Upper Class restaurants that seem like only Whites work in them.
    We have some Mexicans and Asians that live here, but their populations are pretty low.
    When I lived in So. Calif., there were basically four areas that were mostly-to-all Black: Watts, Compton, South Central (L.A.) and an area by the San Fernando Valley. The rest of the areas were made up of Whites, Mexicans, Hispanics, Asians and Southeastern Asians. Definitely a mixture and more diverse than even here.
    A lot of the Blacks here work in banking and healthcare. A lot of the Indians work in IT and make a darn good wage.
    The Blacks that live in our area are pretty Upper Class and definitely nice. Some of the Black dudes here, if I ever need one (LOL), I'd hire as my Body Guard.

12. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I'd say Mexicans work in all our fast food places, gas stations I see mostly Indians. I don't go in 7-11 anymore so
    Don't know who owns those now, because it used to be Pakistanis in the Midwest.

My children who are dentists here employ mostly Mexicans but not all. SIL has 2 offices and in one the receptionist or front desk is Mexican and in the other she's white. Most of the assistants are Hispanic and they make about $22
    An hour. The hygienists make about $350 a day. They do have other races working there but I seem to see more Hispanics. In all the years they've had the practices, only had problems with a couple girls.

My son who lives in Illinois has mostly white employees and he's had to fire one for stealing pain meds.

Now that I think about and examine my life and the life of people near and dear to me....we really don't know many black people. Mexicans...quite a few. Also kids know many Asians.

13. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Other than the time I worked in EMS in Compton, Watts, South Central Los Angeles and L.A. in general, I've never lived, worked or associated with Blacks. Worked around a number of Vietnamese when I was in the computer and electronics industry. Many of them were Technicians and darn good ones at that. However, didn't like the smell of their fish and rice cooking for lunch in the Break Room. When I got a job as a Material's Coordinator for a senior healthcare company, one co-worker was Black (35 yrs old) and very nice. Rest of company was White with a few Hispanics.
    Racism wasn't talked about, like it is today.

14. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

People are people. Where there are differences, I think they have more to do with standards of living, family structure, culture, education, religion, and other inward qualities. It didn't make any sense to make assumptions about people due to their skin color or tone when I was a child, and it doesn't now.

15. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I agree again and was just going to post that it's not really skin color that I have any bias about but more about behavior.

I will never have a problem with a middle class black person as long as he or she is a decent human being.

I won't have a problem with a poor one either, same standards. I will have a problem with you if you are white, Rich and a crook.

I also don't tolerate thugs, gangs, or punks, doesn't matter what color you are. Don't go that route, others in the same position managed to get out and better themselves.

In fact, blacks and minorities have an advantage when it comes to education....they will get more scholarships and financial aid. USE IT!

Last edited: Aug 17, 2016