Random Thoughts

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussions' started by Diane Lane, May 15, 2016.

1. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

I'm thinking about some old fashioned phrases that have been around for a long time for a reason. Good fences make good neighbors is one that comes to mind a lot lately. I have neighbors who are pushing the boundaries.

Ike Willis and Patsy Faye like this.
  2. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

@Diane Lane - Neighbours - why can't they all be good and considerate .............

Diane Lane likes this.
  3. Diane Lane

Registered

@Patsy Faye If I didn't know better, I'd think they were trying to push my buttons on purpose. I don't think that's the case, though. I think they're just self-absorbed trashy people who have no understanding of how their actions affect others. I agree, consideration goes a long way, especially when people live in somewhat close quarters.

Patsy Faye likes this.
  4. Patsy Faye

Registered

@Diane Lane
    Well I'll never understand these people - such a shame, nothing better than living in harmony
    Some people thrive on aggravation, they should try the alternative and see just how good that feels

Diane Lane likes this.
  5. Diane Lane

Registered

The guy is a pig. He's the one who has peed in his yard for years, watering the pecan tree that overlooks my yard. I don't want his urine soaked pecans and leaves here, but I have no choice. I put up lattice planters to block my view of his place from the back porch, so I didn't have to see him urinating. His last wife was a drug using drunk. I thought the new one (the other OD'd) would be better, and she does seem nice, but I've had one of her relatives sit in my driveway (in her vehicle) for 10-15 minutes one day, until I went out and questioned her, and now another is repeatedly parking in my ditch out front, rather than their driveway or their own ditch. I had to go ask them to move the vehicle before, so I could mow the ditch. Apparently that wasn't enough of a hint for them. Some people are just oblivious.

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  6. Patsy Faye

Registered

@Diane Lane - Feel so much for you, we have experienced bad neighbours a few times in the past
    Hopefully now, we can feel settled
    So sorry to hear this Diane x

Diane Lane likes this.
  7. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Diane Lane

Ah, neighbors! Not being condescending, now please don't think that, but even worse than your experience has been voiced quite often, in the Talk Forum of my old hometown outside of Chicago. Serious gang activity, threats of violence voiced to peace-loving folks asking for little more than quiet, vicious dog attacks, shooting.

I truly am sorry you must endure this treatment.

Frank

Diane Lane likes this.
  8. Diane Lane

Registered

Thanks, y'all, it does help to vent. I know it's bad, but I sometimes hope that when the car's parked out there somebody comes along and sideswipes it. There actually is some damage on it already, though, so I'm not sure that would make a difference. As the adults, my next door neighbors should be teaching their (adults or close to adult) children what is acceptable and unacceptable, but it seems many here don't do that, which is probably why there are ongoing issues throughout the area. Of course, they should have taught the offspring about boundaries long ago, when they were actual children, and their own behavior should reinforce that learning, but that isn't often the case.

@Frank Sanoica It's funny, when you mentioned Chicago, you got me thinking about the Winter wars back home. There's an unwritten rule back there that if you shovel out a parking spot, particularly of course if it's in front of your house, that is your spot. People place various items in 'their' parking spots, such as chairs, couches, etc., and then when they arrive home from work, school, or wherever they've been, they expect that they can simply move those objects, and park in the spot. However, there are always people who come along, move the furniture or other objects out of the spots, and park there. I'm not sure anyone has ever been killed over a parking spot, but I know fights have broken out, and there's also been property damage to the vehicles.

Frank Sanoica and Chrissy Cross like this.
  9. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

Lol @Diane Lane , are you talking about Chicago? That is definitely true because I saw it a lot when I lived there.

Diane Lane likes this.
  10. Diane Lane

Registered

@Chrissy Page I'm talking about the Boston area, but I think it's pretty much the same in the other cold weather cities, as well. I can definitely understand the idea of ownership after shoveling out a spot, but the situation's just not good, with limited spaces to start with in those areas, and then adding the weather into the situation just makes it worse. Back home (Boston area) the city also had a lot of extra rules in effect during the Winter, and parking was limited to one side of the street on particular days, plus extra rules when there was a snowfall, and the plows would be working.

One time, they put a new rule into effect without much publicity, that forced vehicle owners to go out and brush off their windows (I don't recall if it was front or back) within one hour of a snowfall, so the parking enforcement officers could readily see if you had the sticker that corresponded to that particular segment of the city. If they couldn't see it, you got a ticket. My sister got a ticket then, because she was out of town. I was responsible for moving her car from one side of the street to the other on alternating days, but didn't know about the sticker rule, and as a result, she got a ticket.

I moved back up there for a while, and had to deescalate a situation with my brother. He had been out in the freezing cold for quite a while shoveling his car out and cleaning out the parking spot, when a tenant across the street brought out his snowblower and proceeded to snow my brother's car back in with the snow he was blowing either out of the adjacent driveway or from the next spot over. Honestly, I found all of that to be not only physically, but also mentally taxing. I don't like a lot of restrictions, and living within those constraints really made me appreciate living in a less restricted environment.

11. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

We are in a fix, so to speak, not because of our fault but of the government particularly of the LTO (our version of DMV). Every year, we have to register our car with the LTO so we can be issued a sticker. I guess that's also the system in the US. Without an updated sticker, you can be accosted by the traffic officer. If your car is registered but you have no sticker for any reason, you have to show your registration receipt. If not then you deserve a ticket.

The LTO is remiss in its contract with the maker of car plates and stickers such that they encountered legal problems. The supreme court had disallowed the delivery of the said plates and stickers. Now we have no stickers and we are at the mercy of the traffic officers. We may not be issued a ticket for our car is registered but think of the delay in our trip when we are accosted. Fortunately we haven't experienced that yet but some friends have already. There is news that the car plates and stickers can be distributed by next month of July.

12. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

Hope you don't get stopped, Corie! I still haven't put mine on. I should just accept the fact that I won't til the last minute. :)

Corie Henson likes this.
  13. Frank Sanoica

Registered

@Corie Henson @Chrissy Page

Simply another form of "Taxation Without Representation". Squeeze money out of folks for no real reason.
    Frank

Corie Henson likes this.
  14. Texas Beth

Texas Beth Veteran Member
    Registered

My neighbor fancies himself a rock star and plays his drums in his garage with the garage door open until, I guess, 11:00 pm. I was always taught to respect your neighbors and when it is dark, you strive to keep the noise within your own 4 walls. This guy really bugs me when he starts playing after dark. Should I talk to him? Yes. Will I talk to him? No. I am basically a coward. There. I have said it.

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  15. Frank Sanoica

Registered

You aren't a "coward". You are rather an individual being in a way, manipulated by another individual. Certain "rules of standards" which are not always consulted by the offender, can be instituted. Sometimes though, they require "rigid enforcement", which means intrusion by Law Enforcement. There are several ways to approach this "noise maker". Talk with him, and explain how his drumming affects you, adding that you might seek additional helpful control (police), give him a second chance after the above, then if no change is evident, tell authorities there is a disturbing the peace offense.

No help, then, kill him.

Frank