Republicans: As Useless As An Ashtray On A Motorcycle

Discussion in 'Politics & Government' started by Ken Anderson, Mar 29, 2024.

1. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

The actual clause is the Establishment Clause, stating that the government will not establish a church. The founders never intended religion to be fire-walled off from government. There is no "separation of church and state."

Marie Mallery likes this.
  2. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

Ok but I'll have to check this out, although you're probably right. If so thanks for the correction.

3. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

I checked it and your correct, or this below never would have happened.

Nor did the Constitution inhibit public displays of faith. At ratification, a majority of the thirteen several and sovereign states maintained official religions. The early Republic welcomed public worship. Church services were held in the U.S. Capitol and Treasury buildings every Sunday. The imagery in many federal buildings remains unmistakably biblical.

The day after the First Amendment’s passage, Congress proclaimed a national day of prayer and thanksgiving. The inaugural Congress was largely comprised by those who drafted the Constitution. It reflects incredible arrogance to reconfigure the Bill of Rights into prohibiting religious displays on public grounds. Hanging the Ten Commandments on the wall of a county courthouse no more mandates religion than judges displaying the banner of their favorite sports team somehow equates to Congress establishing that team as preeminent.

4. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

They have a right to an opinion, but do we place too much emphasis on their opinions? Perhaps, particularly when it comes to celebrities. Churches, on the other hand, if I am a member of a church because I share many beliefs with other members of the church, and perhaps its leadership, I might choose to place greater emphasis on the opinions of the church, but I wouldn't expect those who aren't members of that church to do so.

One of the functions of the church is to advise us on moral and ethical issues, and when you separate morality and ethics from politics, you end up with the worst sort of politics.

5. Tony Nathanson

Tony Nathanson Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Love it - "An ashtray on a motorcycle." Gotta remember that one.
    Goes along with:
    A screen on a submarine.
    The 6th finger on a glove.
    A wrist watch with an electric plug.
    And a few dirty ones I can't post. :D

Hedi Mitchell likes this.
  6. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

Um debatable Ken .. I guess the main issue I have is celebrities who promote politics that they think should be in force.
    Politics does not belong in an awards shows, beauty pageants and etc.
    I have read of churches who do promote their politics in the pulpit and through out the church. My bad, this is more of what I meant.

7. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

your so bad ...:)

Tony Nathanson likes this.
  8. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

Make sure to vote out all career politicians except for the Freedom Caucus if you ever wanted term limtis.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2024 at 9:52 AM
    Don Alaska likes this.