Respite Care At Assisted Living

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Lon Tanner, Dec 5, 2019.

1. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

I did not know my Assisted Living home offered Respite Care until meeting several residents that I had never seen before. Respite care is typically used to give family care takers a break or not use home care services. Some of the Respite Care residents are here for a week or two or even several months. Recovering from surgery, strokes, heart attacks, chemo or radiation therapy seems to be the main reason. Some will be promoted to full time AL residents.Two folks have died in the past week. Respite Care residents have access to every thing that regular AL residents have but receive far less personal care. They also pay about half as much monthly. I guess this is a good way for management to keep the apartments full and pay the overhead. I have become quite a seasoned resident due to deaths and move outs of other residents in my past two years. I don't find it at all depressing as some have stated.

Lois Winters and Bess Barber like this.
  2. Bess Barber

Bess Barber Veteran Member
    Task Force Registered

I think it's a wonderful service for people who need care while their family goes on vacation or as you mentioned, need additional care after an operation or medical procedure. It's way better than having to place them in a nursing home, unless it happens to be a good one.

3. Lois Winters

Lois Winters Veteran Member
    Registered

I believe most facilities offer respite care. Where I live, it is often for a trial to see if one can adapt. Others, just stay a month or so and go home or elsewhere. Depends on individual needs and preferences.

Lon Tanner likes this.