Review: Google Chrome Has Become Surveillance Software. It's Time To Switch

Discussion in 'Gadgets & Tech Talk' started by Ken Anderson, Jun 22, 2019.

1. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Yes but, like DuckDuckGo, Gibiru is a search engine and not a web browser.

Joe Riley likes this.
  2. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

So these could be used to replace Google's search engine, if you desire a clean break from google. I admit the others are no match for googles results.

3. Ken Anderson

DuckDuckGo, Gibiru, Startpage, MetaGer, HotBot, and some others could be used to replace Google's search engine but if you use these privacy search options while using the Google Chrome browser, it won't matter because the browser is spying on you.

A browser is a software program that is used to take the data that comes to your computer when you try to access a website and reassembles it for your viewing pleasure. Most operating systems come preconfigured with a web browser. Until Windows 10, the Windows browser was Internet Explorer. Beginning with Windows 10, the Windows default browser is Microsoft Edge. The default browser for the Mac OS is Safari. However, several other browsers can be installed and used on these systems, such as the Google Chrome browser or the Firefox browser.

A search engine is a program that has indexed various websites and webpages on the Internet. While there are private search engines, available only to those who are granted access, most search engines allow anyone to search its database. For example, to use the Google search engine you would go to Google.com, the Yahoo search engine is at Yahoo.com, and the Bing search engine is at Bing.com. Browsers usually come with one search engine preconfigured as the default search engine. I could be wrong, but my assumption is that the Microsoft Edge browser uses Bing as its default search engine since Bing is owned by Microsoft. The Safari browser, which was developed by Apple, comes preconfigured to use either Google, Bing, Yahoo, or DuckDuckGo, but Google is the default. I changed my default to Bing. I use other search engines as well, but I usually just go to their site and use them from there.

Most browsers make it pretty easy to change the default search engine or to add new search engines, but the web browser and the search engine are not the same thing. A lot of search engines aren't affiliated with a browser.

4. Ken Anderson

Google is announcing a major effort to persuade its account holders to log into their various websites using a password replacement known as passkeys. Currently optional, Google will be nudging account holders to convert their traditional username and password system to a passkey which, apparently, Google will control.

While I abhor the current username and password system, which often requires the use of passwords that no one could ever remember or even manage to type in correctly, and, like most of you, there are constant concerns over phishing and hacking attempts, giving Google control over my online accounts, and the associated credit cards, debit cards, and bank accounts, just don't seem like a good idea to me.

Already, PayPal is encouraging users to switch to the passkey system.

True, they are attributing the system to a construct known as the FIDO Alliance, but the backbone of it comes from Google, Microsoft, and Apple, and I'd sooner give access to a Russian hacker than these guys and their allies. In my opinion, this is just another move toward world domination of everyone's personal and financial life by Big Tech and their allies in the progressive one-world government agenda.

The convenience factor is tempting, but then, it might also be convenient to use "username" as your username and "password" as your password, but that's not necessarily a good idea.

However, I'm pretty sure that, before long, our only choice will be to go offline altogether.

5. Thomas Windom

Thomas Windom Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I use Safari and Brave, the former for forums, logging in to websites, etc. and the latter when I browse the web. Here’s what Brave has intercepted over the past couple years.

IMG_7652.jpeg

Gina Scott likes this.
  6. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I hate that crap. I also hate that many websites/retailers try to force people to use their stupid app instead of a website. I'm not a person who lives on my phone/iPad, so I don't want any freakin' apps. :mad::mad:

7. Thomas Windom

Thomas Windom Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

That whole app thing instead of a website is a mystery to me. I tried a few and everyone of them was a compromised version of the website. I refuse to clutter up my phone or iPad with apps when I can use one browser to have more complete access to all of them. Same with stupid websites where you read one article and they want you to subscribe. Are you kidding? It’s like they don’t understand what web “browsing” is. I’d have a 158 subscriptions with 99% of the crap they throw at me being useless if I agreed to that.

8. Gina Scott

Gina Scott Active Member
    Registered

I agree! Putting apps on your phone or tablet only promotes the websites, as it reminds you to check in more frequently than you normally would if you are simply browsing the internet.

As for passwords, or passkeys, or cloud.....I don't do much of that. As for Paypal, Venmo, or others...I am just not playing that game.

But yes, I am well aware that anything and everything I post, wander into, browse, the big guys are watching. There is no way to avoid it these days. You'd think what I was doing was really important.....

9. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

I don't do apps. The old username and password works for me and I have no plans to change.

10. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

I believe I said it before. We don't need no stinkin' apps!
    Geve hubby a new notebook. Google asked for info right away and I said, NO. Don't check anything and browse as a guest. Doing without tech would be fine with me.
    I can go to the library in an emergency if needs be.
    I have hard copy.

Gina Scott likes this.
  11. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

I have only 4 apps added to my phone. They are from US with US email addresses. Not sure if that helps anything, but do not have the issues others do in that area.

Mary Stetler likes this.
  12. Richard Whiting

Richard Whiting Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

One of the main reasons of so may cameras is to combat crime. They are useful for getting photos of the crime. If criminals know that they are being filmed, they are less likely to engage in crime. Thus, the fake cameras help to deter crime.

In 2013, two young Muslims exploded two "pressure cooker bombs" during the famous Boston Marathon. By examining film of the bombed area, inspectors were able to glean images of the 2 most likely suspects. Those images helped inspectors narrow the search and eventually bring them to justice.

Last edited: May 4, 2023
    Jenna Parnellson and Nancy Hart like this.
  13. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

Always Two sides to a coin.

14. Julia Curtis

Julia Curtis Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

No isn't that something,my tablet updates automatically and yesterday after it updated I was looking for my photo app and noticed a red "O" called Opera.It scared me a little so I just left it and never opened it also beside Chrome is another Chrome called"Beta"Chrome, haven't touched that either but both make me nervous because they just....well...appeared.

Mary Stetler likes this.
  15. Julia Curtis

Julia Curtis Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Is there a private browser that isnt connected to Meta or anyone or is a person just doing Incognito now.