Review: Google Chrome Has Become Surveillance Software. It's Time To Switch

Discussion in 'Gadgets & Tech Talk' started by Ken Anderson, Jun 22, 2019.

1. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

I did not ask for it or sign onto it but my phone just connected to chrome.
    I don't use my phone for anything on line but I think it can listen in on off phone conversations just like alexa and it connected to my tablet without my request via chrome.
    I feel like I'm in Enemy of the State movie.

John Brunner likes this.
  2. Celia Jenkins

Celia Jenkins Well-Known Member
    Registered

Unfortunately, it means that the police are no longer interested in crime prevention. They wait for the public to report a crime, then rely on cameras to try to figure out whodunit. When you ring them to report an incident, the first thing they ask is,' Do you have cameras installed?'
    Not long ago, I saw someone stealing a bicycle during the night. I knew there was no point calling the police because they were just sitting in their cozy little police station. The bike was an electric one and worth thousands but the thief got away with it. If there had been a patrol car nearby they probably would have caught him in the act.
    So, although cameras do help to catch criminals, it would be better if the police were more concerned with preventing crime in the first place.

Mary Stetler likes this.
  3. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Perhaps they are holding their services and your safety hostage so you will install devices to surveil yourselves and your neighbours.

4. Mary Stetler

Registered

I bought a powerball ticket this week!!!!
    Oh, I didn't win. But imprinted on the ticket was information how I could check if I had on an ap I could put on my cell phone.
    Yay!:confused:

John Brunner likes this.
  5. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Every damned thing has an "app." And every app has "permissions." I can't believe people who install apps they may use once or twice a year...if that. Our state lottery has an app that gives you second chances to win money on losing tickets.

Re: surveillance...I sometimes buy Virginia Lottery tickets for a draw game (ping pong balls) that also has Instant Winners on it. The frequency with which I do/don't hit Instant Winners and their grouping is awfully suspicious. I really wonder if the machines have cameras and facial recognition software, and print out the tickets for that specific person's history. Perhaps the drawings are not rigged (perhaps), but instant winners are determined on the spot.

Marie Mallery likes this.
  6. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

I don't feel we should gamble with AI, but then I'm out of my league on this thread anyway.

7. Mary Stetler

Registered

Not just google but roku is spying as well, listening in etc. This guy tells some things you might want to turn off.

Marie Mallery and John Nopales like this.