Rodeos

Discussion in 'Other Reminiscences' started by Ken Anderson, Jan 12, 2018.

1. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Greeter
    Moderator Registered

I used to live in Buena Park, and have been to Knotts Berry Farm many times.

2. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Greeter
    Moderator Registered

Country music became associated with cowboys because cowboys might sing, not only to pass the time at night but to soothe the cattle during drives, but the clothing worn by country singers is an exaggeration or a warping of those worn by actual cowboys, who chose their style of dress for practical purposes rather than to impress the women. Working cowboys wore wide-brimmed hats that combined the features of the sombreros worn by the Mexican vaqueros and the headwear that was worn by both sides during the Civil War. They wore bandannas to wipe off sweat and to protect their eyes and nose from dust. Leather cowboy boots had pointed toes to help them slip easily into stirrups, high heels to keep them in the stirrups, and high tops to guard the cowboy's calves while riding, as well as a protection against snake bites. Cowboy pants were jeans with a smooth seam on the inside in order to protect from blistering while riding. Leather chaps added further protection.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  3. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Veteran Member
    Registered

Well, singer George Strait has a ranch, hosts a nice big Invitational Team Roping every year in Texas and is a Lifetime member of PRCA.

The look of a cowboy hat can be different, depending on what part of the U.S. a person is in. Montana has can be wide brim, whereas Colorado, Wyoming, California, Texas and Oklahoma hats may not be. Some guys and girls in the southern states like the “Redneck” look, which is bent way down in the back and front.

I have a Resistol Straw “Bandera” hat and regular Western Black Felt one.

4. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Greeter
    Moderator Registered

I was referring to the cowboys of the 1800s. Today, they use ATVs and helicopters so the conditions are not the same.

5. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Actually, there are still cattle ranches that herd (drive) cattle by horseback. But, have seen ATV’s and helicopters used, which looks very weird. In fact, one rancher obtained a helicopter license and bought one to run his each with. There are hands on horseback, but he always uses the helicopter.

6. Gloria Mitchell

Gloria Mitchell Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I grew up around rodeos. My dads brother and entire family were heavy into rodes and playdays. We spent many weekends, watching them ride, rope and etc. My uncle and his wife were members of the Sheriffs Posse,and rode in the opening of the events. Calf roping, bronco riding,barrel racing :)
    Oh we had much fun, greased little pigs to catch, goats to rope- it was a all day family fun thing to do! :)

Yvonne Smith and Ken Anderson like this.
  7. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Ken, without a doubt, you'd make it in Wyoming, Montana or the Dakota's........without a doubt.

8. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Right after I met my wife, I took her to a lot of rodeo's all over So California, the circuit I was in. She was the only member of her family that was truly interested in rodeo. Of course, she learned a lot about my event, Team Roping/Heading, from me. She fit into the rodeo nicely and learned rodeo "lingo" pretty fast. We did buy her a pair of Ariat Lace-Up Ropers and got rid of the "pointed" boots she had. Made her look much better and she always wore one of her two Wrangler Straw cowboy hats.

Her mom wasn't too pleased that she had to change some (learn the lingo and a few other things). Her mom said, "can't they just accept her for the way she is?" and I said "nope, but is doing a great job learning the events and lingo". Her mom wasn't a rodeo fan at all.

Originally, I was going to be a Saddle Bronc Rider, until a Saddle Bronc Rider friend of mine had me swing a rope. He liked the way I handled the rope/loop so well, he said, "get a horse, roping saddle, go to a Roping School, buy a Permit and get out there. You'll definitely save your body and be able to rodeo longer." So, I did.

Yvonne Smith and Gloria Mitchell like this.
  9. Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

My favorite event in the Rodeo is Calf Roping. It demonstrates how well the rider's horse is trained to keep tension on the rope while the rider dashes over to loop his line over three of the calve's legs. This is a timed event.
    All events are fun to watch!

Hal

10. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Just to let you know, this event is now called Tie-Down Roping. It was changed to this due to rodeo activists not liking the title Calf Roping.

The Roper dismounts holding a “pigging string” (piece of rope) in his mouth, flanks the calf and uses this to tie three legs together. During this time, the Ropers horse is keeping a rope taught that is tied to the saddle horn and the other end (loop) is around the calves neck.

Once the legs are tied, the Roper throws up his arms in the air to stop a stopwatch. This is a Timed Event rodeo event.

This event came from actual ranch work where branding and inoculation of calves and cattle happened.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  11. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Veteran Member
    Registered

Yup, saw a couple of ranch hands with mangled thumbs from using the pommel to dismount whilst the rope went taught on them.

12. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Yep, two things I always done as a Team Roper “Header”, wore a Roping Glove and kept my thumb away from my “dally” around saddle horn.

Bobby Cole likes this.