Rolling Power Outages Outrage!

Discussion in 'In the News' started by Trevalius Guyus, Feb 15, 2021.

1. Craig Wilson

Craig Wilson Veteran Member
    Registered

What is happening in Texas sounds like a human disaster. Mother Nature is not happy for some reason with the Lone State. I just read that Texas is not connected to America's National Grid... so it produces all its own energy and those plants are copping a pounding forcing people to almost freeze to death in their own homes.

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  2. Trevalius Guyus

Trevalius Guyus Veteran Member
    Registered

Forget the "almost," and you have it right.

3. Trevalius Guyus

Trevalius Guyus Veteran Member
    Registered

My answers to the questions posed in your verbose post, as above, are all "Yes." My degree is in Biology with heavy emphasis on Urban Ecology. My dad was a Master Electrician, and I worked jobs with him, as a kid. I did 95% of the electrical work needed for my rental properties.

I'm not into writing books for answers, here, so I'll just end by saying, again, that no debate is possible concerning the certainty that fossil fuels cause environmental degradation, on many fronts.

4. Tex Dennis

Tex Dennis Veteran Member
    Registered

No electric, water, heat, trash pickup, mail now going on 4-5 days we just accept it no complaints here, been worse at least nobody shooting at us and sleeping in a hole I just accept it and let others do all the complaining, It dont do any one any good so why do it? It will get better I promise, I asked a neighbor today on another road "Do you have an off switch?" That just went over their head totally.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2021
  5. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

Still no water in apartment because maintance could not reach a broken pipe to repair yesterday. I am hoping somehow gets repaired today. We need showers and. dirty wash is piling up.
    I have melted ice from fridge freezer to hand wash some dishes. Dishwasher is full of dirty dishes.
    Actually everything seems to be piling up- but can only do one thing at a time for now. Mark will go pick up a grocery order later- if we are lucky they might have a few of the things we need.
    I am sick of TV and sitting but limited on what I can get done under the circumstances.Hope you all are well and warm and full ;)

Faye Fox and Yvonne Smith like this.
  6. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

@Gloria Mitchell Sorry, they haven't got the water back on yet, but in these emergencies, people usually work as fast as they can. Last spring I was without electricity for 4 days and had to keep my little generator running 24/7 and switching it from refrigerator to freezer every hour. The sounds of it almost drove me nuts. Luckily I live below a giant city water tank and the weather was mild enough that I didn't freeze since electricity is my only heat source. I would have gone crazy without water. Since I didn't have hot water (my house is all electric) I used paper plates and plastic utensils. Our area internet and cable TV was down so any outside communications were by cellphone. I feel for all in Texas with this happening in the winter.

Hedi Mitchell and Frank Sanoica like this.
  7. Tex Dennis

Registered

No complaints here got power and heat after 4-5 days without we did just fine with what we had as said been worse many times
    what so many seemed and a huge surprise to me was not many knew you could take a hot shower and clean up at truck stops very cheap. Just different lifestyles is all from me.

8. Hedi Mitchell

Registered

Found out will be Monday or Tuesday before we get water. The pipes busted in our unit is worse than thought.
    Walmart was out of eggs btead etc that we ordered..and no water.
    Mark today had took a five gallon drum of his to another unit and got water to flush toilets. It took five gallons for the two commodes.
    We will get some more water from there but I will have to boil it for coffee in the morning. His drum had held a chemical so filter and boil first.
    I fell like we are living in prairie times..water hauling and boiling.

9. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

That sounds like me all week... filtering pool water and boiling to be able to rinse off dishes, etc. We could flush our toilets thanks to buckets and swimming pool, thank goodness. I also had about 6 cases of bottled water in the garage and a case in the garage refrigerator, left from the Great Pandemic Panic Hoard of '20.

We are still under a "boil water" order even though water service has been restored, but it's a lot easier to boil tap water than to have to drag it in from the pool and filter with coffee filters.

We had my MIL here for a couple of days; she is unable to climb stairs so had to sleep on the sofa in the den. Of course, that's where the fireplace is so that was the best place for her.

We are almost out of milk but I doubt we'll find any at the store. I don't understand the panic buying right now... we have power and things are returning to normal, but people are still crazy.

10. Craig Wilson

Craig Wilson Veteran Member
    Registered

@Beth Gallagher are you as bad off as this. Unbelievable. Evidently the wife of the man who froze to death in Abeline is alive but only just.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

11. Beth Gallagher

Registered

No; we weren't that bad off, Craig.

12. Hedi Mitchell

Registered

Geeeez that is scary:eek:

13. Tex Dennis

Registered

Had power here now 2 days after 4-5 without, no heat, water, mail, trash services etc, got all that back but trash pickup inside was down to mid 40's we did all ok with no complaints just adapt doing best we can, the worst was breaking ice for cattle to drink morning and evening with minus zero chill factors, of all stores we went to ALDI and Dollar General were the best stocked I found. I managed at these 2 to get all I wished to. Walmart was the worst by far in out of stocks, rude and more .

14. Beth Gallagher

Registered

My husband found eggs and milk at a Shell gas station. Success!

15. Hedi Mitchell

Registered

I know Beth..it feels good to find what you need. I found eggs bread chips and 28 -20iz bottles of drinking water!
    Less water boiling . Took a Hoe's bath tbis morning that help to:p

Faye Fox and Beth Gallagher like this.