Scams, And More Scams

Discussion in 'Not Sure Where it Goes' started by Hedi Mitchell, Dec 7, 2023.

1. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

We actually are much more apt to get spam calls than scammers, @Kate Ellery . Most all of those callers use blocks of phone numbers, so it does not do much good to block one of their numbers, when they have 100 other ones to call you from.
    What works for me, is just the basic method that both Apple and T-mobile have. Any phone call that is not in my contact list gets sent to voicemail.
    I seldom get phone calls from a number that is not in my contacts, and I am sure to add new numbers for doctors or other places that I do not want to miss a phone call from.
    If I am expecting a phone call from an unknown number, I simply turn off the call-blacker until I have received that call, and then I can turn it back on again.

Mary Stetler likes this.
  2. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

Today I found a new scam. I had gotten some plane tickets for my daughter to go back to visit Vermont for a couple of weeks via travelocity. I have used them before. But in looking at the e tickets they had not left a space between daughter's first name and middle initial. I looked for customer service for travelocity and got a site that offered I could chat with a representative. Turns out, I don't know a representative of what. They said they could fix the name on the tickets but needed a credit card for a $1 refundable fee to join the service. Once again my CU card saved me. They denied the charge and the site said I had to contact my bank because of this.
    Upon contact, they said they had denied a FIFTY-FOUR dollar charge.
    ???
    I went back to the help site and it now said they were charging a $54 joining fee and a monthly fee of $54.
    My card lets me challenge bad charges but now they are pre-emptive.
    :confused:

John Brunner likes this.