Scripps National Spelling Bee

Discussion in 'Education & Learning' started by John Brunner, Jun 1, 2023.

1. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I've been watching the 95th Scripps National Spelling Bee the past couple of days. Tonight is the finals. It's down to 6 contestants. One of them is a 14 year old girl who lives a couple of miles from my old place up north. She's also a black belt in karate.

Holy crap. These kids know their etymology...and so much more. I am as humbled as I am impressed...and I am very impressed.

2. John Brunner

This year's (2024) National Spelling Bee is being aired tomorrow night and the night after (semi-finals on Wednesday 5/29 and and finals on Thursday 5/30) from 8PM-10PM Eastern DST on various channels.

3. Ed Marsh

Ed Marsh Veteran Member
    Registered

Good evening to all-
    I was the team coach for several years at our local spelling be team. This competition takes a remarkable amount of out or school work, and the kids who take it seriously work very hard. I will say that it was fun to see when one of my kids won her/his contest and got recognition for this.

It was rewarding to be involved with these kids- I do miss this sort of competition.

you all be safe and keep well- Ed

4. John Brunner

I'm watching this event and they are at a part where the students answer multiple-choice vocabulary questions (they pick the definition of a word from 3 choices.) I don't recall this from prior contests, but it's in the rules for previous years. I guess I only tuned in to the Finals in the past and not the Semi-Finals.